Game Warden

How do you choose your next Safari?

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which offers the best information?

• Travel Agent recommendation
    • Personal recommendation
    • Internet research - forums, websites etc
    • Magazine/newspaper article
    • TV feature
    • Prior knowledge of camp / country
    • Other (please state below)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 posts in this topic

I would say forms like this one are the best source of info.

An excellent source for wildlife travel.

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and excuse me if you find my questions naive. We have never been to Africa before but are considering going on a safari to East Africa in June2014. We plan to spend about 18 days . On our wish list are Gorilla seeing the migration and the big Cats. Could someone please suggest an itinerary and recommend travel agents. I know we dont have much time to plan so will be very grateful for the help.

Posted (edited)

Hi Kaboo - I am sure as others see your thread on this topic, they will respond there on that thread too :)

Edited by Sangeeta

I chose personal recommendation, even though I am a (safari) travel agent as it is always good to know what you want and, if possible be fairly well-informed, before letting someone handle your bookings. If you have a good idea of what type of accommodation you want (campsite, guided tour, luxury lodge), activities (wildlife, cultural, bird-watching, extreme), interests, etc that you are looking for, then you get your travel agent to do the rest of the research for you offering the best advice possible based on when you are able to travel and within your budget constraints. Hope this helps.

Easy one for me!

There are many locations I have visited and still wish to visit. I plan my trips around this. A combination of both old favourites and new locations is something I enjoy doing, but if I am doing a more unusual trip, I will general limit that trip to just including that area - often they are difficult to access. I have self organised many trips, ranging from ordinary circuits (booking all of the separate components) to full expedition style trips, where I need to bring everything in that would be needed. So I don't generally feel the need to use a travel agent. That said, for some trips I have used a trusted travel agent who is excellent at arranging everything for me. Before I approach him though, I have usually already worked all of the route, camps and things to do etc. If I am not clear about anything, I would get in touch with providers and sometimes my travel agent also and have a long list of questions and sub-questions - very thorough!

In short, I know what it is I am looking for and mostly am very happy planning things myself and sourcing all of the components. Occasionally, if my travel agent has something special or convenient, I will go to him.

To answer the question specifically, I would say a combination of TV highlights, newspaper/magazine articles and internet research form the basis of how I go about planning (but I have usually already chosen location before research and planning starts). I supplement this with books, prior knowledge (if applicable) and speaking to people who might know something about the area I am planning to visit.

Posted (edited)

~ It starts with the academic calendar.

If there's a vacation with enough days, I think about Kenya.

As to exact locations, I toss out a few general notions, asking my guide and friend, Anthony Gitau, and his wife, Maggie, of Bigmac Africa Safaris, to suggest what they feel might be best.

They're sensitive to seasonal changes, the security considerations, and my overall interests.

For the safari which begins two weeks from yesterday, I have no idea where we'll be going.

I'll find out upon arrival, which is fine with me. I'd bring the same camera and lens, clothing and map, thus any location will be fine.

I'll stay at the Emakoko near Nairobi after the safari concludes.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie