Game Warden

Where am I?

727 posts in this topic

Hmmm! I seem to have killed the thread! :o

The photo was taken in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.

The twin peaks in the distance are Naibardad Hill.

The normal route would be to the East of Mount Lemagrut & the two peaks would be in the distance to your left if you took the route to the Serengeti from Ngorongoro on the main track to Naabi Hill.

Question

At which well known feature will we enter the Serengeti? :mellow:

The twin peaks in the distance are Naibardad Hill.

Unfortunately I don't have a good topo map of that area. I saw Naibartat on Google Earth but I wasn't really sure because of the low-resolution imagery.

So you were coming from Laetoli, heading to Hugo's Camp (Serengeti is always Van Lawick country for me). :mellow:

The well-known feature can be found at www.ndutu.com.

We pitched our tent for a couple of days at Nungunungu north of the lake.

The route we took had been pointed out to us by the Masai where we had camped near the crater.

The twin peaks were our guiding landmark once we found the track past the airstrip at Endulen.

To revive the thread!

Here's a well known one! I hope! :)

3bridge.jpg

To revive the thread! Here's a well known one! I hope! ;)

Is it the same place as here?

botswana18.jpg

Anyone recognize this place:

botswana08.jpg

botswana09.jpg

botswana12.jpg

We spent quite a while digging here.......

:)

Here's a well known one! I hope!

Moremi Game Reserve ?

PS: I've never traveled that area but after a short Google image search I would say, Third Bridge.

(I used this reference shot - the trees in the background are the same...)

Quick poll:

How long will it take until DWNP bans any self-drive tourism in Moremi?

1. never

2. 5-10 years

3. 1-5 years

My guess is 2. gallery_3403_44_454.gif

DWNP has a lot of money tied up in public camp sites & you meet a lot of local self drivers.

In 2004, when the photo was taken I would say, excluding the camp sites, self drivers ratio to guided was about twenty to one.

OK! It could have been the game drive areas & concessions but I would think self drive is a good money maker.

460.gif Oh! By the way! Yup! Third Bridge.

... self drive is a good money maker.

If DWNP would declare the eastern section of Moremi as low-density tourism zone (such as the Mombo zone), create some concession areas for upmarket lodges plus a wilderness zone for HATAB operators - I'm sure they'll get much more money. Minus all the hassles they have with some of the self-driving people today.

We found Botswana similar to Mana Pools at the weekend! A get-away for a couple of days break with a 4x4.

We met a number of Africans out for a break no gear just a brai & a 4x4!

I don't want to jump in unfairly-- nyama has earned the next location pic post-- but as a bridge was the most recent subject, I wondered if anybody knows where this one is and why it was built. It's fairly historic:

Bridge.jpg

460.gif Oh! By the way! Yup! Third Bridge.

Mine was indeed also third bridge.

By the way, this was second bridge. :rolleyes: We didn't trust it at all and decided to just drive through the water next to it.

botswana16.jpg

The other three pictures are also from Botswana but not Moremi (nor Chobe).

I don't want to jump in unfairly-- nyama has earned the next location pic post-- but as a bridge was the most recent subject, I wondered if anybody knows where this one is and why it was built.

No problem, John. I currently have no time to make scans.

Well, I recognise the logo on the vehicle. Is this the bridge over Savuti Channel?! It looked quite different when I visited the place.

On your way to Kubu Island?

On your way to Kubu Island?

Close! :rolleyes: It was the southern most tip of Magadikgadi and we wanted to go further south. Just before we had been joking about being "alone on the world" as according to the ranger at the entrance, we were the first tourists in more than a week. In all of the park there was not a single animal to see (it was early june). Then we came to the edge and discussed if we would drive back all the way or try to follow these tracks. We did and that was our mistake.....

Well, I recognise the logo on the vehicle. Is this the bridge over Savuti Channel?! It looked quite different when I visited the place.

No, not the Savuti Channel. I think you can see this bridge faintly on Google Earth, unless I'm mistaken and the images are older than 4 years.

Did they build a bridge over the Selinda Spillway?

Yes, about 4 years ago (I took the photo in August 2004), some kilometres towards Motswiri so that the supply track from Selinda would not be cut by water from either the delta end or the Linyanti end. I don't think the water has reached this spot yet, and it may not do so (it doesn't show on GE)....but 4 years ago, it was the best flow into the spillway for two decades, and some were speculating whether the water from both ends would meet up in the near future.

Btw, does anyone of you have a complete list of the public and HATAB campsites with site numbers, and does anyone have a list of the new site numbers?

For all Selinda fans...

John kindly sent me the co-ordinates of that bridge. Here it is...

gallery_3403_44_25324.jpg

John,

Apparently the spillway waters met last July, there was supposedly a BBC filmcrew there, making a documentary. I have not heard anything further on whether it has been shown.

The waters were 17 km apart when I went to Motswiri, it was impossible to get there down the spillway.

Thanks Ken. I hadn't heard anything about the waters meeting. I wonder when GE will get some later imagery to show an unbroken line of water.

I wonder when GE will get some later imagery to show an unbroken line of water.

Last month GE has updated whole Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and the southern part of Zambia with 2.5m imagery. This imagery can't be very old because I already found places that opened last year.

However there're still a lot of African countries that are not featured in this "medium" resolution, so I wouldn't expect any update for Botswana in the near future.

Don't forget: Google invests money into Google Earth/Maps and must earn some money with it, using it as an advertising platform - and Africa isn't that big advertising market.

Pity to let this thread lapse.

I know of two, probably three people here who have set foot in this place:

Sandriver508.jpg

John,

Wild guess - the park in Zim? Chiz?

Right, Hari. You are now entitled to post a pic (which is more than I am :huh: ), but I'd like a more specific answer from those who've been there.

Well done Hari.

To be more specific it is the dry Busi River.

1st time I saw the place in 1993 there was a huge lion pride on one bank and us standing on the other bank. The cubs were playing in the river bed and their mothers watched us with swishing tails.

There was one particular female with a large scar on her left rear paw. You knew it was her when tracking the pride. When she did not have cubs she was very relaxed. I've been less than 20 metres from her on foot.

When she did have cubs it was like she was a different animal and would charge from 100 metres away.

A fantastic cat..... long gone now.

Geoff.