Game Warden

Where am I?

727 posts in this topic

Yes. Stayed at Tafika in 1998 then onto Mwaleshi.

Geoff, that was straight after our walk with Leon and your subsequent stay at Selinda in 1998, or a separate trip that year?

Incidentally, I think I would find the noise of the ultralight irritating on safari if it was buzzing around overhead, and I wouldn't find it an attractive means of wildlife viewing. Much prefer non-human sounds to dominate.

I have no idea which river you are crossing (that is you in the pic?)

Here goes. Not as hard as the last one.

Any takers other than Nyama?

Where am I?

Geoff.

Crossing the Mwaleshi River towards Mwaleshi camp?

Excellent ZaminOZ. Mwaleshi camp it is! Fantastic walking safaris from any of the camps along the Mwaleshi river.

Your turn now.

John, It's my mate Graham from Qld. We met on a Mana pools canoe trip in 1994 and he did the same Leon Varley walking safari as me that year too. As well as Zambia he's travelled with me to Zib too.

Geoff.

Incidentally, I think I would find the noise of the ultralight irritating on safari if it was buzzing around overhead, and I wouldn't find it an attractive means of wildlife viewing. Much prefer non-human sounds to dominate.

No other clients are disturbed during these flights. John Coppinger makes these flights in the early morning, starting at dawn, while clients are still having breakfast at camp. He also avoids meticulously flying over areas where other travellers could be.

It's a great experience seeing landscape and wildlife from the seat of this microlight - following the river and watching crocs and hippos only from a few metres above, or circling around an eagle's nest high in the trees.

John also uses these flights to monitor what's going on in the area (Tafika is in the GMA on the border of the park).

I had great luck that nobody stayed at John's trails camps during my "working" flight (the flight with photo equipment) which gave us the opportunity to make a short visit to that area and have a look at the camps that I would visit a few days later.

This is Crocodile Camp...

gallery_3403_44_64924.jpeg

... and this is Chikoko:

gallery_3403_44_13896.jpeg

Btw, John has teamed up with Derek Shenton and is now offering walking trails from Crocodile/Chikoko to Mwamba.

No other clients are disturbed during these flights. John Coppinger makes these flights in the early morning, starting at dawn, while clients are still having breakfast at camp. He also avoids meticulously flying over areas where other travellers could be.

It's a great experience seeing landscape and wildlife from the seat of this microlight - following the river and watching crocs and hippos only from a few metres above, or circling around an eagle's nest high in the trees.

John also uses these flights to monitor what's going on in the area (Tafika is in the GMA on the border of the park).

I understand the attraction in that context. I love flying in small aircraft.

Your turn now.

Since I am at work - and don't have any African photos on my work computer - I donate my turn to the first person to post another "where am I?" picture. :)

Nyama, great pics of Chikoko and Crocodile camps BTW!

OK, I will jump in with something for the experts.

At which renowned establishment can you read this sign?

gallery_3403_44_9143.jpeg

I've got no idea but will take a guess....

The sign is at one of the trails camps... Chikoko camp.

Geoff.

Chikoko camp

No.

Tip: most people on safari in South Luangwa are visiting this place.

(NO, it's not the loo at Mfuwe Intl)

Moondog cafe next to the airport at Mfuwe ?

Outside the toilet?

Moondog cafe next to the airport at Mfuwe ?

That's correct.

That's the place where John Coppinger used to sit (before he bought his own satellite dish for accessing the internet). It's on the right side of the bar, next to the small library and book shop - my favourite place when being there (always looking for new Zambian field guides and other books of which I'm not aware).

ok, where is this (to make it easier the bit in the top right is the sea)

gallery_673_53_60892.jpg

Correct. The items in the photo are a whale bone and a piece of wreckage from one of the many shipwrecks on the skeleton coast.

Hmm, currently I don't have a scan of a typical landscape photo, so here is something different (again)...

This simple safari tent (:D) stands on the edge of a large salt pan that once was the bottom of a huge inland lake in southern Africa. If you leave the tent and go 6745 metres to the East, you will stand next to a National Monument that is named after a South African hunter and naturalist (and one of the first nature photographers) who is famous for his exploration of the Zambezi, almost beating Livingstone to the discovery of the Falls.

1) What's the name of this National Monument?

2) What's the name of the salt pan? (the more general name is okay)

3) At which camp did I stay?

gallery_3403_44_74047.jpeg

1) Baines' Baobabs

2) Makgadikgadi

3) Jacks Camp

2 and 3 are correct.

1 is wrong. Baines' Baobabs are 60 kms to the Northwest in Nxai Pan National Park, whereas Jack's Camp is located in CT/11 east of Makgadikgadi Pans National Park. Also, Thomas Baines was a Briton and never made photos, he is famous for his illustrations and paintings.

Come on...!

No one who knows that National Monument close to Jack's Camp?

Chapmans Baobab?

nappa, you're already well prepared for your next Botswana trip!

Chapman's Baobab is the correct answer.

I have an absolutely fabulous program to help me. :P

But that's another story!

I should add that may be the only time in my life I knew where I was! :rolleyes:

my screen has just gone belly up will post my offering soon!

imagest_edited-1.jpg

Where are we?

Where are we headed?

Where have we been?

Our heading is roughly WNW

Ouch, in my case it's twelve years ago... if I google for images of that area I get thousands of wildlife pictures but not that special hill...

Well, Google Earth doesn't give me the right shape of this hill, so this is a wild guess:

Serengeti

Naabi Hill

Ngorongoro Crater

Correct! Ngorongoro Crater is where we have been.

Not Naabi Hill & we're not in the Serengeti

This is an unusual route & not the usual safari trail & the twin peaks are visible on Google Earth.