Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thetexaskid

buffalo hunting in mozambique?

106 posts in this topic

It is probably lost somewhere higher up the thread..........though non-prime areas, hunting is the only revenue source like on the cabbage patches in SA. Or, a mix between hunting and photographic........

It is probably lost somewhere higher up the thread..........though non-prime areas, hunting is the only revenue source like on the cabbage patches in SA. Or, a mix between hunting and photographic........

Russell,

I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head and illustrated precisely why (in countries like Zambia) hunting continues, in theory (I say in theory only because I no longer have any direct contact with the hunting industry) to contribute to conservation in much the same way that it always has. The Prime areas are generally gazetted national parks anyway, so no hunting has ever taken place in those areas. But it is not the prime areas of national parks that are most in need of anti poaching operations, it is the critically important buffer zone of GMAs (where very few tourists ever venture) that need a presence. That presence – historically – has been hunting safaris.

Sorry for the diversion in topic - can anyone confirm one way or the other, if officially the Botswana Govt have incorporated a ban on leopard and lion hunting starting this season?

I remember reading that somewhere, but, can't remember for certain.

Thanks in advance!

I believe the "ban" was a temporary suspension of trophy hunting of lions only - discussed at lenght here some time ago. The reason was that conflict with the local comunities was resulting in too many lions being killed, so they suspended hunting (which kills a small number of lions when compared to the community conflict) as its a lot easier to suspend legal hunting than it is to control illegal killings by the community.

Thanks -

Having just tripped over this in the archives, I'm bursting with curiosity. How did the hunt go?<_<