See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Private or group safari - your preference.

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Private or group safari - your preference. (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Please choose from the below options:

1. Private (53 votes [85.48%])

Percentage of vote: 85.48%

2. Group (4 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

3. Not bothered (5 votes [8.06%])

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Guest_John Milbank_*

Guest_John Milbank_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:05 AM

It all depends on the group. If there is a good group then you can have such fun. I am not allergic to people, in fact I quite like most people. I think if you are in a group that you don't like, then you need a polite escape clause.

On my first two safaris, I was with strangers, but they were all nice, quiet people; I still correspond with some of them, years later. On subsequent safaris, my wife and I have encountered three couples whose behaviour spoiled things. Fortunately, we had to share a vehicle and walking with only one of those couples, and the others we were able to avoid most of the time. On a couple of other occasions, I've had brief encounters with children who had no place on safari. And it goes without saying that there's always a chance that we ourselves might not be to somebody else's liking.

Hence our efforts to travel with friends in recent years and keep camps to ourselves as much as possible. We've just spent the weekend with the four people who are going to South Africa and Zambia with us in July. Professionally we don't have much in common (one's a cop, another's an IT expert, and a third is a school principal) but we all have the same quiet, respectful attitude to wildlife. It's going to be fun.

#22 Billy

Billy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

This is a great question ... the best way for me to go is alone. In fact, I'll do just that in Kenya in late August for about 10 days. I contacted my favorite outfitter in Nairobi, who hooked me up with my favorite guide, and we'll do several days photographing the Mara wildebeest crossings. I won't have to defer to any traveling partners about how long we stay in a given spot or where to go next. I'm looking forward to it, and frankly expect it to be one of the great experiences of my life. Total cost: $2700 US, not counting the flight.

Next best option is to go with my son. I'll travel with him to Zambia in November. Come to think of it, this is even better. Because I'm subsidizing him, I'll still have full decision authority, but I'll also be able to enjoy the company of the most literate, erudite and entertaining person I know (not that I'm biased).

#23 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,465 posts
  • Local time: 04:33 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

Have you been on both group and private safaris? How did they compare? What have you chosen for your next trip?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#24 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,634 posts
  • Local time: 01:03 AM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

I haven't been on group trips, and nothing anyone has said so far really has made me want to change my mind. I'm a bit of a control freak, don't think I want to be bothered arguing with someone about where to go, how long to stay at a sighting etc. Happy to have other people in camp to chat to , but that's different.

My trip will, of course, be private because I'm going to Serian. If I had gone to a different place, then I would have had to weigh up the cost of a private vehicle and that gets pricey.

I hope to one day travel with a group of friends, that would be private/group travel which would be fun as long as they realised that I was the boss!!!! :D

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#25 Pangolin

Pangolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 AM
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:28 AM

I have been on small-group trips, and private, which actually have also been small group. The difference was only that we filled the entire small group (6-8 people). My wife and I went by ourselves once, and met new companions at each camp. I've had mostly good luck when thrown in with others.

I can't imagine going on safari with more than 8 people in my group - too many unlike minds and preferences.

My next trip is in February with a total of six of us. It will be the first time we have ever paid the premium for a privately guided trip the entire way (although we have essentially done this before by completely filling a regularly scheduled mobile safari).

I'm looking forward to it!
One pangolin to rule them all......

#26 Bongwe

Bongwe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 PM
  • Category 1:Ground Handler
  • Category 2:Ground Handler

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

There are some operators that can offer private safaris at an affordable price. Having said that, it is getting rarer and rarer to find a safari operator that can give you that personal experience. Mainly because there arent that many places left that havent been exploited by the tourism industry. Its a mass market thing these days.

But come to Zambia and see the Kafue or Lower Zambezi on your own, privately and most importantly, relatively cheaply (notwithstanding the cost to get here. Bloody airlines!)

(Edited. No self promotion within posts allowed. Matt)
Bongwe Safaris offer affordable safaris in Zambia in the Lower Zambezi, Kafue and South Luangwa game parks. We also offer tailor made trips around the country to suit your needs. Day and night drives, Walking safaris, canoe safaris, boating and fishing. http://www.bongwesafaris.com

#27 wildernessman

wildernessman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

My only mode is self drive own vehicle private safari in SA Kruger national Park - the private safari vehicle option is way out of reach for the majority of local african residents - seems those with US dollars / Euros / UK pounds and a few other currencies may be able to afford the private safari vehicle mode .

Other than that wilderness trails where one usually shares with a minimum of 3 other people - though these trails are normally close to fully subscribed , though one can book the whole trail and pay for the exclusivity at ZAR 3200 per person for 3 nights ...

I have walked more than 1000km in the "big 5" wilderness .

#28 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Just saw this thread! Will provide my feedback in July.

#29 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,576 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

I can't afford private safaris, but if I could I would definitely consider that method. The closest we've had is going as a couple in Brazil and India and self driving with my dad in Kruger and with Abbie in Yellowstone. I think out of all of the trips, going with Abbie was the best in terms of company. We both got on really well, were focused on seeing the animals and were prepared to put the hours in. So we were always up before dawn and out on the road and only left the park when the last ray of light had gone from the sky.

Don't get me wrong, Ian, my partner, will get up early for safari and for someone who is nowhere near as passionate as I am for wildlife he put up with a lot of discomfort in Brazil and in India. But travelling with him can be very stressful (living with him is stressful! That's why were don't often have holidays together!!). So camping in a mosquito infested swamp or sleeping on a train in India is a tiny bit out of his comfort zone. :lol:

With my dad, it was getting her out in the park at first light that was the problem, we were always late leaving because she takes ages to get ready in the morning.

Obviously going with a group has it's ups and downs too. I've spent time with some people who are really ill-prepared for the bush. e.g. my botswana trip report is a great example of this. http://www.kats-korn...m/botswana.html
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#30 mndavi

mndavi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • Category 1:Travel Agent
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

it all depend on the kind of safari you want to go and the budget.For me joining a group is fantastic because you will pay less and you will share the experiences together with other people.For the private sometimes it my become boring and end up not enjoing yourself.

#31 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Why don't dikdik and I (as he has sold his farm and has all the time in the world :D ) put together a self drive to Botswana for a few die hard ST members and show them the ropes on how to 4x4 and camp in the wild.Dikdik in his jeep and me in my landy :P this way we could settle the jeep, landy thing once and for all.

Ask Jochin ,we had a ball a month or so ago.

Sorry diddik pushing my luck here.

Edited by A&M, 13 November 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#32 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Dikdik does not travel light :D He had the most impressive trailer I've ever seen and if a jeep can pull that thing, I'll vote for the jeep!
  • A&M likes this

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#33 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Dikdik does not travel light :D He had the most impressive trailer I've ever seen and if a jeep can pull that thing, I'll vote for the jeep!

Proof is in the pudding :P

#34 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Count me in A&M! After saying I could never afford a private safari, that's exactly what I did in Madagascar. In that particular country, I would look for a couple more english-speaking friends to join me if I were to go back as english speakers are few and far between out there.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"

#35 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 PM
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Seriously guys; if you do this; count us in!
  • A&M likes this

#36 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Seriously guys; if you do this; count us in!

Oh no ,not you again . :D :P
  • Jochen likes this

#37 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Count me in A&M! After saying I could never afford a private safari, that's exactly what I did in Madagascar. In that particular country, I would look for a couple more english-speaking friends to join me if I were to go back as english speakers are few and far between out there.

Would sure love to have you kittykat, Jochin and his wife and friends only had a very short time,but we made the most of it and was a great adventure for all of us.Yes it was a bit cramped in one 4x4,but next time we could arrange a few more,and take things a bit easier than we did.

#38 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

A&M, if you could put together a self- drive through Kafue up to Liuwa Plains, I would join you in a heartbeat too!

Although whether in a Jeep or Landy will depend on the Monster Face-Off :D

Edited by Sangeeta, 14 November 2012 - 06:02 AM.

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#39 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Sangeeta, I would have to call in the services of "Luangwablondes" on this one,not too clued up on Zambia,we self drivers dont like to go to African countries where we get harrassed in road blocks all the time for no reason.

I have had bad experiences in Zambia with this a few years ago and vowed never to go back,as with Zimbabwe.They take pleasure in unpacking all our gear ,and then saying,okay now you can go,only to find 60 km further another road block with the same procedure.

So for these reasons I stick to Botswana,where their road blocks are soley for health reasons ,vet checks are all over in certain areas to prevent the spread of foot and mouth desease.Having said this this also only takes place coming from North to South.

Not many ST members would know about this as you guys fly in normally and do not use the main roads ,in order to get to the wild life areas.

Can help with Botswana with pleasure.

#40 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Suits me! I would love to return to Moremi, especially Xaxanaka. Would have to be autumn next year at the earliest I would guess. Haven't yet made any plans barring India in Feb/March. But yeah, potentially may well be interested :)

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.