Game Warden

Private or group safari - your preference.

65 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose from the below options:

• Private
    • Group
    • Not bothered

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

103 posts in this topic

There are some operators that can offer private safaris at an affordable price. Having said that, it is getting rarer and rarer to find a safari operator that can give you that personal experience. Mainly because there arent that many places left that havent been exploited by the tourism industry. Its a mass market thing these days.

But come to Zambia and see the Kafue or Lower Zambezi on your own, privately and most importantly, relatively cheaply (notwithstanding the cost to get here. Bloody airlines!)

(Edited. No self promotion within posts allowed. Matt)

My only mode is self drive own vehicle private safari in SA Kruger national Park - the private safari vehicle option is way out of reach for the majority of local african residents - seems those with US dollars / Euros / UK pounds and a few other currencies may be able to afford the private safari vehicle mode .

Other than that wilderness trails where one usually shares with a minimum of 3 other people - though these trails are normally close to fully subscribed , though one can book the whole trail and pay for the exclusivity at ZAR 3200 per person for 3 nights ...

Just saw this thread! Will provide my feedback in July.

I can't afford private safaris, but if I could I would definitely consider that method. The closest we've had is going as a couple in Brazil and India and self driving with my dad in Kruger and with Abbie in Yellowstone. I think out of all of the trips, going with Abbie was the best in terms of company. We both got on really well, were focused on seeing the animals and were prepared to put the hours in. So we were always up before dawn and out on the road and only left the park when the last ray of light had gone from the sky.

Don't get me wrong, Ian, my partner, will get up early for safari and for someone who is nowhere near as passionate as I am for wildlife he put up with a lot of discomfort in Brazil and in India. But travelling with him can be very stressful (living with him is stressful! That's why were don't often have holidays together!!). So camping in a mosquito infested swamp or sleeping on a train in India is a tiny bit out of his comfort zone. :lol:

With my dad, it was getting her out in the park at first light that was the problem, we were always late leaving because she takes ages to get ready in the morning.

Obviously going with a group has it's ups and downs too. I've spent time with some people who are really ill-prepared for the bush. e.g. my botswana trip report is a great example of this. http://www.kats-korner-uk.com/botswana.html

it all depend on the kind of safari you want to go and the budget.For me joining a group is fantastic because you will pay less and you will share the experiences together with other people.For the private sometimes it my become boring and end up not enjoing yourself.

Posted (edited)

Why don't dikdik and I (as he has sold his farm and has all the time in the world :D ) put together a self drive to Botswana for a few die hard ST members and show them the ropes on how to 4x4 and camp in the wild.Dikdik in his jeep and me in my landy :P this way we could settle the jeep, landy thing once and for all.

Ask Jochin ,we had a ball a month or so ago.

Sorry diddik pushing my luck here.

Edited by A&M

Dikdik does not travel light :D He had the most impressive trailer I've ever seen and if a jeep can pull that thing, I'll vote for the jeep!

1 person likes this

Dikdik does not travel light :D He had the most impressive trailer I've ever seen and if a jeep can pull that thing, I'll vote for the jeep!

Proof is in the pudding :P

Count me in A&M! After saying I could never afford a private safari, that's exactly what I did in Madagascar. In that particular country, I would look for a couple more english-speaking friends to join me if I were to go back as english speakers are few and far between out there.

Seriously guys; if you do this; count us in!

1 person likes this

Seriously guys; if you do this; count us in!

Oh no ,not you again . :D:P

1 person likes this

Count me in A&M! After saying I could never afford a private safari, that's exactly what I did in Madagascar. In that particular country, I would look for a couple more english-speaking friends to join me if I were to go back as english speakers are few and far between out there.

Would sure love to have you kittykat, Jochin and his wife and friends only had a very short time,but we made the most of it and was a great adventure for all of us.Yes it was a bit cramped in one 4x4,but next time we could arrange a few more,and take things a bit easier than we did.

Posted (edited)

A&M, if you could put together a self- drive through Kafue up to Liuwa Plains, I would join you in a heartbeat too!

Although whether in a Jeep or Landy will depend on the Monster Face-Off :D

Edited by Sangeeta

Sangeeta, I would have to call in the services of "Luangwablondes" on this one,not too clued up on Zambia,we self drivers dont like to go to African countries where we get harrassed in road blocks all the time for no reason.

I have had bad experiences in Zambia with this a few years ago and vowed never to go back,as with Zimbabwe.They take pleasure in unpacking all our gear ,and then saying,okay now you can go,only to find 60 km further another road block with the same procedure.

So for these reasons I stick to Botswana,where their road blocks are soley for health reasons ,vet checks are all over in certain areas to prevent the spread of foot and mouth desease.Having said this this also only takes place coming from North to South.

Not many ST members would know about this as you guys fly in normally and do not use the main roads ,in order to get to the wild life areas.

Can help with Botswana with pleasure.

Suits me! I would love to return to Moremi, especially Xaxanaka. Would have to be autumn next year at the earliest I would guess. Haven't yet made any plans barring India in Feb/March. But yeah, potentially may well be interested :)

Posted (edited)

Kittycat,I am off to Xakanaxa and 3rd bridge for two weeks in Dec.Autumn is a good time to go.We could closer to the time put our heads together and do a plan of action.maybe a few more ST members would like to join us.Come on GW pack your bags so long. :P

Edited by A&M

Sounds great! :D

Xakanaxa was quite crowded when we were there. But that was in winter time.

Me, I will only be able to join up in 2013. No more vacation days this year :-(

No J ,we are also only talking about 2013.this next trip is MY holiday,sleep late,no worries about who does what, and who snores too loud :lol: :lol: or who talks in their sleep.

Jochen snores? Or was it an elephant farting?

It was Jochen snoring,and then he blames his poor wife and the friends in the next door tent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL!

It was Jochen snoring,and then he blames his poor wife and the friends in the next door tent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I plead guilty your honor.

But there are extenuating circumstances; André poured 2 bottles of wine into me that evening.

As I was completely in his power (it was his vehicle), I could not object.

1 person likes this

Yeh right J.

Okay, having slept over this one, count me in too! I will need to figure out a way to add on the Selinda Canoe Trail before or after the group trip (or perhaps convince you lot to sign up for that too!), but this sounds more alluring than my own plan posted yesterday :)

How 'participatory' are you imagining this to be, Andre?