GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

4 minutes ago, inyathi said:

@Soukous  I can't see any red, so I'll take a guess at Himalayan bulbul.

And you're sucked into the game again Rob. :)

@Soukous I wondered if I was being a bit unwise to jump back in, while I'm posting a report full of bird photos, I don't want to post something too hard, that I then want to put in my report, :rolleyes: but I came up with an idea of something I could post from recent travels, have ago at this, shouldn't be too hard.

Zam2856.jpg.68a5a631388add203987b3f25cfc342c.jpg 

looks like a peacock's tail

:D I seem to remember us swapping crops of various pheasant plumage a few years back.

I'll try to make the next one a bit tougher. ie, not AFB.

try this one

d.jpg.29fa223225dad1bf868dbad9bf29377c.jpg

@SoukousI'm not completely convinced, but I'll take a guess at common quail, since no one has offered an answer, just to try and keep things going.

sorry @inyathi that's not it

I didn't really think it was, you'd be lucky to photograph a quail, but as no one else had made a suggestion, I thought this game might disappear again.

I'll have to think of something else, what worries me is I may have already dismissed the right answer:lol:  

My guess is some kind of snipe or woodcock but without knowing the country it’s impossible to narrow down. Am I warm at least?

Towlersonsafari

Is it s whimbrel by any chance 

apologies for being absent,  @janzin, @Tdgraves, @Towlersonsafari

Sorry it is neither a Crested Francolin nor a Whimbrel nor is it a woodcock or a snipe.

I do agree that telling you the country will make identification immeasurably easier

The country is India.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that this topic is failing to attract interest, again. Shame.

4 hours ago, Soukous said:

It seems that this topic is failing to attract interest, again. Shame.

Its not that, its that its too hard :) I've got my India book right here and I can't find anything that matches. Its got to be either a shorebird or some sort of quail-like bird, but that's as close as I got.

41 minutes ago, janzin said:

Its not that, its that its too hard :) I've got my India book right here and I can't find anything that matches. Its got to be either a shorebird or some sort of quail-like bird, but that's as close as I got.

Ah, thanks for the clarification Janet.  Apologies, it wasn't meant to be THAT tough.

an easier to ID photo will follow now now.

Edited by Soukous

whatisit.jpg.4c4d697ac46b585559b5cedf51027d8d.jpg

Common Buttonquail?  Actually I don't think that's quite right as the bill looks wrong, should be pointier, but...

Edited by janzin

@Soukous I decided when you first posted it that it was likely an Indian bird, largely because of your travels there, but then went through my book and had exactly the same problem as @janzin, now having the whole bird it should be easy but I've been all through the book again and perused some of the images on the Oriental Bird Club website, and still haven't found a totally convincing match, but I'm going to suggest rain quail, I'm not totally convinced, because the bill looks so big, but I can't thinking of anything else.

I'll leave it for another 24 hours and then if no-one gets it I will reveal the ID. :ph34r:

Now I’m thinking it could be a chick which is why it’s not in the books. A chick of some sort of francolin. 

kittykat23uk

Yes maybe  a young grey francolin?

37 minutes ago, kittykat23uk said:

Yes maybe  a young grey francolin?

or maybe not.

sorry @janzin & @kittykat23uk.

Now I am beginning to worry that I have got the ID wrong. Mind you, our guide in India got it wrong at the time.

How about Jungle Bush-quail?

I tried Merlin Bird ID but as I dont know which part of India this may not be the perfect tool.

The other options given by Merlin were all quails or buttonquails.