GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

1 hour ago, offshorebirder said:

That is a nice photo of a great bird @lmSA84.     May I ask where you saw the bird and took the photo?    

@offshorebirder - thanks. It was taken at the Dlinza Forest in Eshowe, South Africa. I would highly recommend a visit there, the nearby Ngoye Forest and to Mtunzini. In a very small area you can see many of Southern Africa's rare / harder to see forest species, such as the Spotted Ground Thrush, Green Barbet, African Broadbill, Crowned Eagle, Grey Cuckooshrike, White-starred Robin, Finfoot, Palm-nut Vulture and Eastern Bronze-naped Pigeon.

59aaa5891bd2c_v124.jpg.9b96aea82d4cd0b600fc62702dd83d92.jpg59aaa59314285_v127.jpg.06da7c04d69c19afa613358520853b90.jpg

Peter Connan

This should be very easy...

whatODP.jpg.8d6e68164957856d9dbcd0a8f058302b.jpg

kittykat23uk

Maybe a fork-tailed drongo? 

kittykat23uk

Ok try this one:

2018-08-05_07-14-33.jpg

offshorebirder

@kittykat23uk - since no one else is giving it a go, I will venture: Spectacled Guillemot.  Presumably you saw it on your winter Japan trip?

I knew OFFSHOREBIRDER would have to be the one to get this :)

offshorebirder

This may not take long to ID but here goes:

NameThatBird1.jpg.b15ac3a1c21f8a0f5fa42fb2c41ae83a.jpg

it looks like the Northern Oriole that we have here in the desert.

offshorebirder

Thanks for playing along @marg but I am afraid it is not a Northern Oriole (which has now been re-split into Bullock's Oriole in the west and Baltimore Oriole in the east).

How about Audubon's Oriole?

@offshorebirder   and I was corrected in once calling it a Hooded Oriole.  Its name changed as well.

offshorebirder

Sorry @janzin, but it is not an Audubon's Oriole either.  

Perhaps we need a hint - despite looking very Oriole-like, it's actually not an Oriole of any kind.

Dave Williams

You have totally got me on this one.

okay then here's my 2nd choice. I was actually going to put this one first, but I thought "too obscure ;) and I wasn't sure if you'd been to Central America. I thought the beak looks more tanager-like than oriole.

How about Black-throated Shrike-tanager?

Edited by janzin

another attempt....a weaver

offshorebirder

Sorry @janzin - it's not a Black-throated Shrike-Tanager either.

kittykat23uk

Maybe the light making the wings look darker than they are? Black-headed weaver? 

okay last try. I am going to go with Brown-capped Weaver. Its the only one with black wings and a yellow back and black that stops at the throat. And in my Birds of Africa book it says it forages on epiphyte covered branches!

offshorebirder

You got it @janzin - Brown-capped Weaver.    Honorable mention to @marg .

I did not mean for it to be a difficult quiz entry - I was having trouble coming up with a decent image.  The photo was taken in Kakamega Forest, Kenya. 

Over to you @janzin.

Yes, I also must give kudos to @marg because it was her post that made me think, oh of course its a weaver :)  Once that was in my head it was just a matter of going through the field guides.

Well, now of course I am in a bind to find something tricky. I'll be back soon....

okay have a go at this one.

Capture.JPG.a7af13a621f4978814dbd81a38583ef7.JPG