GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

offshorebirder

@@Soukous - Crested Pigeon? Artful cropping made it a little harder (by not showing the thin black peak of the crest).

yup, you got it @@offshorebirder. My time in the hot seat didn't last long

offshorebirder

This one should not be too difficult either:

gallery_47829_1283_376151.jpg

OK, if no-one else is going to have a go then I'll get the ball rolling with Rattling Cisticloa

offshorebirder

Thanks for keeping things going @@Soukous - but I am afraid it is not a Rattling Cisticola...

Then might it be a Melodious Lark @@offshorebirder ?

offshorebirder

Good tenacity @@Soukous, but no, I am afraid it is not a Melodious Lark...

Perhaps the challenge is proving more difficult than I thought, since the bird's underparts are obscured and its plumage (particularly the tail feathers) is worn...

kittykat23uk

Maybe a whinchat?

offshorebirder

Just so, @@kittykat23uk - a female Whinchat in worn basic plumage. Over to you.

kittykat23uk

Okay. Try this:

26565601256_d6f7415b3f_k.jpg by Jo Dale, on Flickr

@@kittykat23uk When I first saw this I immediately thought I'm sure this is an Asian species but I wasn't sure which as it's not one I've seen, I confess I then clicked on the photo and the 'Date Taken' shown on Flickr confirmed that it couldn't be from your recent trip to India so I assumed it must be from your earlier China trip. I don't have any books on Chinese birds so I wasn't sure if I'd find this one but I had a quick flick through my Birds of South East Asia not really expecting to find it until I happened to spot the Maroon-backed accentor Prunella immaculata so I will say that's what it is. in South East Asia it only occurs in the far north of Myanmar so it only just makes it into the book, it is also in my Birds of the Indian Subcontinent but if I'd picked up that book first I might have overlooked it while the illustration isn't bad but it doesn't stand out quite as much.

kittykat23uk

Well worked out @@inyathi! :) over to you!

@@kittykat23uk I think that was probably the first time that the resemblance between the photo and the illustration in a bird book has been sufficiently close that I didn't have to look at any other possible options, but it was just luck that I stumbled on the right picture quite so quickly.

Here's the next one.

26572808406_c1212c4cf3_o.jpg

Having just seen this in India, I am pretty sure this is Orange-headed Thrush.

@janzin :lol: That's just the answer I was hoping for and I didn't have to include a shot of a local tea plantation.

Close but no it isn't.

Orange Ground-thrush ?

@@Geoff bang on

When I was thinking about what to post next I saw this bird and thought perfect, if you’re not familiar with this particular species or its nearest relatives and you done a bit of birding in India or elsewhere in Asia you might not immediately think to look in Africa for this one. It does look quite a bit like the orange-headed thrush Zoothera citrina found in tropical Asia enough to think it could be one certainly if you take into account differences between the sexes and between adults and immatures and there are thought to be 12 different subspecies. Even if it’s not an exact match for the illustration or photos that you’re looking at you could still easily think it could be this Asian species. If that is you hadn’t thought to look at African birds because there are actually 7 different species of Zoothera thrushes in Africa and all but one of the others looks quite a lot like this species. Asia does have more species but as far as I know only the orange-headed looks a bit like this bird, I posted a photo of the South Indian race of the orange-headed a while back in this game and then in India bird ids, that race has distinctive white markings on the face but the other races don't.

If you hadn’t already decided that there weren’t any other Asian possibilities my comment about tea plantations was intended as a bit of clue that @@janzin was actually looking in entirely the wrong part of the world. Not that it would given away where my photo was taken this country is quite well known to a few members here and is famous for a many things but tea growing isn’t one I would put at the top of the list, however there are extensive tea plantations not very far from where I took this shot.

As Geoff suggested this is an orange ground thrush Zoothera gurneyi the photo was taken in the garden at Seldomseen in the Bvumba Mountains in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe.

Over to you

@@inyathi Interesting reading Rob. I must admit that for a long time I was thinking it was an Asian or Indian thrush but when @@janzin 's guess was incorrect I thought maybe Rob's trying to trick us and it's an African bird.

next we have.. This is an old image (one of my first bird photos) reprocessed last night just for this game. With a little bit of research it shouldn't be too hard.

post-5120-0-91162600-1461627386_thumb.jpg

how about a juvenile Elegant parrot?

No, but a good guess. i can see why you thought it might be so.

offshorebirder

@@Geoff - what about Red-rumped Parrot?

No it's not a Red-rumped Parrot.

Lots of views but no guesses so time for a clue.

In this genus there are only six possibilities.

Another clue.

It's a Neophema.