Jochen

GAME: name that bird!

1,603 posts in this topic

@@kittykat23uk - I am having a hard time determining the color of the eye ring on your bird.

But it seems yellowish - so I am going to guess Golden-spectacled Warbler (Seicercus burkii). Even though that has recently been split into multiple species I gather. Do I get credit if it is one of the splits that you saw?

Yes you do! In fact this bird has caused some confusion. Originally we were told it was Whistler's warbler , which is part of this species complex but the I'D was revised to Green-crowned warbler- which retains the Latin name of Seicercus burkii. Over to you! :)

Wow @@kittykat23uk - that was a proverbial shot from the hip.

Here is one I came up with on short notice:

30250526306_02f8a5f226_b.jpg

1 person likes this

Come on, who can name @offshorebirder's mystery bird above? I've also noted that there is a lot more Safaritalk birding happening, so there should be some contenders to give this game a kick start again...

Matt

2 people like this

@Game Warden, @offshorebirder Never been birding in the US of A but it looks like a warbler. "Google" North American Warblers and an array to choose from, Distinct wing bars ...my guess ...........

Bay-breasted Warbler

2 people like this

Thanks @Game Warden for jump-starting this thread.   It is a good one.

Exactly right @Dave Williams - a fall male Bay-breasted Warbler.  

Over to you.

Posted (edited)

This isn't as easy as it looks... well not to me anyway! Seen in the UK.

have a guess bird.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams
1 person likes this

Jack Snipe?

@kittykat23ukYup.... didn't last long did it!

Scaly-breasted.... now I need to check the book..... Scaly-feathered Finch!

2 people like this

@Dave Williams yep you got it! :)

Wow - this topic is heating up.

I can tell @Dave Williams will help keep things lively and thanks @kittykat23uk.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

Wow - this topic is heating up.

I can tell @Dave Williams will help keep things lively and thanks @kittykat23uk.

@offshorebirder Don't expect too much, unfortunately my portfolio of 9 years of foreign trips was lost 12 months ago so now I have mostly UK images although you might not find all of them readily in a local guide book.

This one should test a few birders, seen locally in North Wales.

Guess this bird!.jpg

1 person likes this

Looks like a reedwarbler to me

Nope @Geoff ! On the right tracks though.

Anyone guessing needs to @Dave Williams otherwise i might not notice a response. Thanks all

looks a lot like a Blyth's Reed Warbler @Dave Williams

Wrong again @Soukous  I knew it would test a few. When I saw it it was only after a tip off there was one there, a local twitch ( I don't do twitching unless it is local). As soon as I saw it it was obviously different to other warblers I'd seen but I'm not sure I would have realised it was if I wasn't looking. One of those boring little LBJ's ( little brown jobs for the uninitiated :unsure:) that I may well have ignored had I found it first myself.

1 person likes this

Having never seen any of these birds I'll go with something rarer ~ Booted Warbler.

@Dave Williams If you follow the thread you'll be notified whenever anyone adds a post.  To do so click on 'Follow' at top right corner of the page

3 people like this

Cheers for that little gem of info Geoff and well done, you got it right!

I'm now a follower!

1 person likes this

It's the long school holiday break here, so I'm travelling a fair bit (including today) and often without internet access.

If I do not reply to a guess within the next 48 hours some one go ahead and post another image.

For now try these guys...

5a5d2aeb8e4cb_Whatbird.thumb.jpg.208b02cb53c2d33684546542cef47b06.jpg

2 people like this

@Geoff It would have taken me a long time to get that warbler right, although I might have got in the end as the clue was in the fact that it was a twitch, which ruled any of the common warblers, I knew the previous two, but decided not to jump in but didn't think anyone would get them that quickly. As for this pair I will take a punt and say I can't see any wattles, maybe because they are hidden from view or these are young birds, but I think they could be red wattlebirds.  

2 people like this

@inyathi  Yes, well done. Red-wattlebird fledglings.

@Geoff I wasn't totally sure but I thought they had a certain Aussie look about them. 

Since some of the new additions have been identified very quickly I thought I'd offer up what might prove to be a challenge, if no one can offer a good guess then I'll give some clues, but for now you'll just have to make do with the photo.

29882275796_c54132a062_o.jpg 

2 people like this

that one is easy @inyathi it's a black bird

1 person likes this

@inyathi - I'm going to take a random punt - with the theory that it's a Forbes or Chopi Blackbird - of which I'll go Chopi?