GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

fiscal shrike

Long-toed Stint and Stilt Sandpipers?

Edited by fiscal shrike

offshorebirder

@@Geoff - Broad-billed Sandpiper and Curlew Sandpipers?

fiscal shrike

I'll say Gray Plover for the larger, and Baird's Sandpiper for the smaller (though I think legs are wrong colour)

Edited by fiscal shrike

fiscal shrike

Least Sandpiper and Bar-tailed Godwit

@@fiscal shrike No & Yes. You get a bonus point. The larger birds are Bar-tailed Godwits mainly in winter plumage. This flock had over 500 birds including Black-tailed Godwits too but I don't see any in this image. I then noticed the smaller waders amongst the flock and it was extremely difficult capturing an image of the smaller birds without spooking them all.

A minor clue. Besides its relative size to other small waders the features that would give this bird away are its bill and breast feathers, but you can't see them, even so there is one small diagnostic feature showing that helps me identify it.

fiscal shrike

May I choose a Foster rather than a bonus point? Or does a bonus point mean I have to provide 2 birds to ID?

Pectoral Sandpiper. I think that is my last offer.

Edited by fiscal shrike

@@fiscal shrike I asked for the ID of the smaller bird. I was just saying you would get a bonus point if you could ID the larger birds.

No it's not a Pec Sandpiper and I hope you don't give up now but I don't want to tie you up in knots thinking about it... Another image taken 40 secs later.

post-5120-0-19085600-1455924740_thumb.jpg

fiscal shrike

I was joking about the Fosters....ever hopeful.

But I seem to still be tied up in knots. A North American working on who knows what shore limited ID books and shooting in the dark; but you have been pretty good about choosing several global birds. I'll choose one closer to my home - Purple Sandpiper.

Nope. Not a Purple Sandpiper (I've never heard of them). Along with the image I gave you a clue in the text of my last post (#1466).

fiscal shrike

Ah, yes, 'knot'. I eliminated them due to no eye 'brow', but further research, I can see how it might be. Given the slight rufous on some feathers - Red Knot?

fiscal shrike

Well, then by process of elimination - Great Knot?

Perserverance? Maybe. I don't like to give up - and I always learn something from N T Bird.

Gabar Goshawk - melanistic

fiscal shrike

@Soukas - yes. I didn't think they were that common, but it appears that I was wrong. Over to you.

• 1 month later...
offshorebirder

@@Soukous - your name was slightly misspelled in the last post, so perhaps you missed the "over to you" message.

Thanks @@offshorebirder - you are right, I completely missed that. To be honest it was such a wild guess I didn't have any expectation of being correct.

After a bit of head scratching here's what i have come up with. Easy enough I hope.

post-43899-0-25759000-1460972477_thumb.jpg

Yes, too easy... I'll let other members have a try.

Thanks @@Geoff.

I did think it was too easy but I've just posted all my recent sightings in 'Big year' and so was a bit stuck for something to post.