GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

It can't be a Baglafecht weaver - all Baglafecht weavers have pale eyes.

It could be a Compact weaver, but neither Zimmerman/Turner/Pearson nor Sinclair/Ryan list them around Mt Kenya.

It could be wearing coloured lenses.

:) If this is the case I'd drop Kenya from my list of favourite destinations...

Maybe predator could explain to me why this is a Baglafecht weaver.

Whatsoever - Nyamera, it's your turn...

I don’t know if it’s really my turn. Anyway, it’ll take some time for me to find a photo and figure out how to post it here. All my bird photos are of superb starlings that I’ve baited.

Maybe predator could explain to me why this is a Baglafecht weaver.

because 4 obsessive and knowledgable birders on the trip I was on identified it as such. Being more of a mammals person I trusted their opinion.

Green-winged pytilia?

I tried to show a bird, but got an error message.

Guest John Milbank

Nyamera,

Right genus...so you might be right but it's not the common name I know it by. I'm no birder.

Unless somebody can be more helpful...if you'd like to email me your bird image, I'll host it, send you the URL and you should be able to post it using that. My email is jfm at afrigalah dot com.

Tanya_in_Kenya
It can't be a Baglafecht weaver - all Baglafecht weavers have pale eyes.

It could be a Compact weaver, but neither Zimmerman/Turner/Pearson nor Sinclair/Ryan list them around Mt Kenya.

I want to get to the bottom of this weaver conundrum!

It can't be a Compact Weaver, because they have dark eyes.

In my opinion, the key distinguishing feature here is the red eye. As far as I can see, there are only four yellow weavers which have red eyes:

1. African Golden Weaver - no black head though - cancels that out.

2. Jackson's Golden Backed Weaver - has chestnut chest - cancels that out.

3. Black-headed (or Village) Weaver - I still think this is a contender.

4. Vitelline Masked Weaver - very similar to above, but not found in highlands.

I'm sorry, but I'm reiterating my belief it's a Black-headed Weaver, also known as the Village Weaver. Its range includes Mt Kenya (and there are loads of pictures of them on my blog too - for example, take a look at this post - half way down the page there are 4 photos)

Tanya_in_Kenya
I would say Nyamera is right - a male green-winged pytilia.

I also know this as the Green-winged Pytilia.

I would say Nyamera is right - a male green-winged pytilia.

I also know this as the Green-winged Pytilia.

Sums up the problem with birding to me - the same bird is known by different names in different places. Having mainly visited Southern Africa when I went to Kenya I found several birds that I actually recognised and was told they werent what I said they were. A more knowledgable person corrected the guide that I was correct but I was using the southern african name not the east african name. :)

Tanya_in_Kenya

So......do you think we're ALL right about the cryptic weaver? :)

ok having gone back through the photos and my bird book I think I must have mis-filed a couple of photos (including this one) and now agree its a black headed weaver.

OK as you're all obviously better at bird identification than me, I think an LBJ might be appropriate for a later challenge :)

I like how the game is going. We're learning here!

Another one:

20.jpg

Slightly off topic...

I hope that you are not posting this from Paris :)

Slightly off topic...

I hope that you are not posting this from Paris ;)

Of course not!

Then that would be a lovebird! :D

Nyamera; close but which type?

Edit; I see Nyama has got it completely right.

The red-billed firefinch can be easily mistaken with...

- the African firefinch (grey bill)

- the bar-breasted firefinch (blue-grey eyering, not yellow)

- the Jameson's firefinch (grey bill as well, and bluish feet)

Your turn, Nyama!

Guest John Milbank
Sums up the problem with birding to me - the same bird is known by different names in different places.

I found that when I contributed quite a lot of bird photos to an online bird data base. They listed some of my pics under different names. The Melba finch/green-winged pytilia was one of them (though to be fair, they used both names-- I had forgotten the second name because it was so long ago). The data base incidentally hasn't been updated for many months now-- I think the owner has had personal problems-- but I think it contains images for about half the world's species. It's called the World Bird Gallery.