Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Game Warden

The Safari hat - what's your choice?

45 posts in this topic

A pith helmet would be more substantial in that case.
My pith helmet has holes for better air cooling, and I think most of them have these holes. Not the best solution for air travel... :lol:

I did not realize pith helmets would leak. It seems like everybody over here has a pith helmet.

Rule 5a: A pith helmet can be used as a receptacle for fluids provided that:

i) Ventilation holes are plugged with a mixture of buffalo dung and Amurla Cream, allowed to harden under an African sun,

ii) When used to hold Port it is only ever passed to the right along the dining table, and

iii) When used in an aircraft it is never passed to anyone else.

tp

Is that Mr Varley I see?

Rule 5a: A pith helmet can be used as a receptacle for fluids provided that:

i) Ventilation holes are plugged with a mixture of buffalo dung and Amurla Cream, allowed to harden under an African sun,

ii) When used to hold Port it is only ever passed to the right along the dining table, and

iii) When used in an aircraft it is never passed to anyone else.

tp

This is especially funny because Amarula was in part responsible for my discomfort! I'll have to ask my sister about rule ii). She collects antique etiquette books and my have some research to do.

... another vote for a Tilley!

Most of the time I use the same hats I use to hide my head from the sun throughout summer at home - my black hair heats up really fast and as it's thin, that heat goes straight through to my head giving me heatstroke - not good!

If we're going to be in a speeding vehicle I have a very uncool but comfy travel safari hat, wide brim, breathable fabric, sort of beige coloured, with a neck strap to keep it on!

Here's my main home hat:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ganders/565875186/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_gibson/2550666424/

Can't find a pic online of my wide brimmed travel hat.

Most of the time I use the same hats I use to hide my head from the sun throughout summer at home - my black hair heats up really fast and as it's thin, that heat goes straight through to my head giving me heatstroke - not good!

:mellow: ... hang on... don't you live in the UK?... :huh:

I seldom wear a hat as the top of my head reflects the sun quite efficiently anyway.

Besides often with a hat on I feel like a pressure cooker.

The best hats are the cricket hats with mesh for breathing.

:mellow: ... hang on... don't you live in the UK?... :huh:

News Flash

A large UFO appeared over London yesterday.

The switch board at the Ministry of Defence was overwhelmed as Londoners phoned in to report "A large red disc in the sky emitting harmful rays.

Hospitals were packed with patients who had tried to stare at the alien object.

An MOD spokesman said:

"If this alien craft wants a fight then it's picked on the wrong country. We have issued our 4 soldiers with new corks for their guns & our 1,000,000,000 Officers all have the new pistols that show a red flag with BANG in yellow when fired"

10 Downing Street has issued the following statement from the Prime Minister Gordon Brown:

"This little piggy went to market, this little piggy... Hands knees & bumpsadaisy!"

ZaminOz

Ha,Ha!

At least we Brits can laugh. And it is rather warm today.

Jan

I wear my hat during lengthy bush walks but very rarely on a game drive vehicle.

When booking a trip with one of these modern operators who use game drive vehicles with canvas roof, I wonder why one needs a safari hat at all.

post-49296-0-60207100-1435549141_thumb.jpg

~ This Nikko mesh hat was a gift from a talented friend originally from Sichuan who has become an investment banker and a fine photographer.

We had spent a warm midday in July, 2011 at the Hong Kong Wetland Park photographing birds, plants and dragonflies.

When I admired this hat, he graciously insisted on giving it to to me. I think of him every time that I wear it.

It accompanies me on every safari. The mesh on the side facilitates comfortable air flow.

I seldom wear it, save in late morning and early afternoon, when intense sunlight might burn my neck, given where I'm typically positioned, in the rear of the raised top safari van.

The back flap of the hat is its selling point with me, as it adequately covers the skin on my neck and upper back.

It's one of those ‘musts’ on all of my safaris, as much as a token of friendship as anything else.

Tom K.

I always take 2 Tilley hats with me when I go on safari. I'm terrified of losing one and not having a hat. 

Posted (edited)

I wear  a  broad brimmed leather sunhat

pith helmets are not easy to find, although at a  place in sth Africa they had some Jock of the bushveld peth helmets , they were not cheap

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

As this thread has been resurrected....

I once tried on a pith helmet in a shop on Harare. My wife prohibited me from buying it on the basis I might actually wear it in public....she knows me so well!!!

The are still quite easy to come by and I have a hankering for one so maybe one day. 

However, when in the bush my much needed headwear is driven by practicality rather than appearance. O wear a beige cricket 'beanie' - i find anything with a stiff brim, including baseball caps, gets in the way of using a camera.  Also the beanie recovers well to being dunked in any available water and used to cool me down on long walks. 

1 person likes this

yes it is definitely necessary to take of the hat to take photos 

I have my favorite hat as shown in my avatar, which I tend to wear when walking. I love it and, having had it for a few years now, it is now getting suitably dirty and sweat stained :) I have a Tilly hat as well which gets a fair bit of use and I also wear a baseball cap sometimes, particularly on a drive (less likely to get blown off). The peak does get in the way so I have been known to turn it to the side or the back. a la gangsta style for photography. I probably look ridiculous, but who cares?

Well, you (or at least I) learn something new everyday - my keeping cool technique works with a pith helmet....

The pith, or cork, of certain trees lent itself as the basis of a headgear that was strong and protective and at the same time lightweight and comfortable. Furthermore, the absorbing property of this natural material provided the bonus feature of allowing the wearer to immerse the pith helmet in water keeping him or her cool during evaporation. When dry, the pith helmet does not lose its stiffness or shape. Today, for all the same reasons, the pith helmet is a great choice for outdoors use.

2 people like this