Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Game Warden

The Safari hat - what's your choice?

45 posts in this topic

As a hat wearer, my everyday one being a snap brimmed fedora (Akubra Federation for those of you who know Australian hats) I wanted to know how everybody protects their heads from the sun. The Federation does not have air holes nor chin cord, and so despite my love for this lid, am wondering what would be a better option for the next great adventure. On my last trip I just took a couple of cheap hats that I gave away to guides.

Here I am in the fedora during a expedition through New York's concrete jungle.

IMG_1807.jpg

Does anyone use a pith helmet? I've mentioned buying a vintage one through ebay but I know Elisabete, my wife would not get on the plane with me if I took it.

So recommendations and prices please, and if possible let's see a picture of you in your hat...

Soft cotton, floppy brim...cheap, light, comfortable, easily stored (crumple it into a photo vest pocket if you like). Of the kind known as a 'giggle' hat in the Australian military. I have a few, one of which was bought at a safari camp in Botswana with the camp logo on it, so it's a nice souvenir. I'm wearing one in my profile photo. I wear hats only in the bush.

I had a fantastic Akubra when I was working for Outward Bound Australia in 1986. The first day I had it my mischievous collegues stole it and ran over it with the wheels of the Dyna truck. After that I had no trouble fitting it in the top of my backpack. It was a hat of great character! Unfortunately all good things come to an end and the Akubra, disintegrated and sweat stained, was retired for a soft cotton one that can be washed and easily screwed up.

Does anyone use a pith helmet? I've mentioned buying a vintage one through ebay but I know Elisabete, my wife would not get on the plane with me if I took it.

Thank goodness for your wife!! :)

I've got about the same as yours, Matt.

A friend bought it for me on this famous horse races thingie in UK. Badminton? Anyway, it was an Australian "shop" with Aussie hats.

Actually, I got me one of these because that very friend has one as well and I liked his hat so much that I wanted one for myself.

Same as John. Mine has a KwaZulu Wildlife logo but you can't recognize this anymore. I only wear it during bush walks, also use it as seat pad. During game drives it's often used as pad for my binos.

Does anyone use a pith helmet?

Yes, but not on safari, only during carnival.

I'm still waiting to see one on safari. Wouldn't have a problem with it if the owner is a true British character and if it fits to the rest of the clothing.

A baseball style cap ....... usually end up buying one on every safari

Jochen,

Is that the Borat fellow?

just the local comedian :P

Jochen,

Yeah, I ended up with that avatar on diverse fora so now I'm kinda stuck with it.

Oh well... yakshimesh!

I like the safari hat that nappa is wearing on his personal picture. B)

(though operating a camera seems a little bit difficult with that hat)

I like the safari hat that nappa is wearing on his personal picture. B)

(though operating a camera seems a little bit difficult with that hat)

It was the talk of pith helmets so I had a look & as there are many for sale in Germany! :D

Pith helmets never had a tradition in Germany. German colonial forces wore a "Südwester" (sou'wester) whose design was based on the Akubra hats of the Australian Army.

Baseball cap when on a vehicle / soft floppy bush hat with brim when walking.

Thanks ... :rolleyes:

I'm with you, Mike George. I wear a Tilley. I like it because it can be packed in my duffle bag and then coming out

after the baggage handlers have done their worst still looking good. I'd like an Acubra, but I think that it provides too

much temptation if left around any where. I have my name clearly written in large letters inside on the crown to prove

ownership. Last October mine vanished from a chair after dinner, but next morning I claimed it back--no argument. I

like it because it's washable, looks right, and doesn't look too 'posey'.

Jan

The pangolin hat of choice while on safari or while on multiple day float trips - in this case while fishing for smallmouth bass in central Oregon two weeks ago. This hat has been to Africa five times. If fishing or wildlife viewing is slow, I merely unsnap one side and snap down the other to change my luck. I always have a baseball cap as a backup.

gallery_5746_183_71148.jpg

The nyama safari hat is a misshapen something with a brim, bought years ago in SA for some US$ 10. You can use it as seat cushion, dust protector for small camera, shock absorber for binos, bean bag replacement, sweat remover... and yes, you can put it on your head.

Here I'm wearing it while making pictures of hyaena dung...

gallery_3403_110_57539.jpeg

Btw, this is a Tilley vest I'm wearing (the "VOMP").

I have a Tilley and am proud I have never lost it after all these years. I believe lost hats will be replaced if you contact the company with a suitable explanation. IA pen once exploded on it so the inside band is discolored, but not enough to warrant my requesting a replacement.

The Tilley vest is impressive Nyama. So is the alabaster hyena dung.

I will put in a plug for Tilley's quick dry underwear too. I had a couple of pairs for many years that eventually had to be discarded. Just last week I ordered 2 more pairs and they arrived a few days ago. They really do dry over night and not just in the hot dry air of Africa's dry season.

The Tilley vest is impressive Nyama.
It was the best vest I could find, and so I ordered it directly from Canada. I was quite impressed by Tilley's fast delivery - it only took half a week until I found the vest in front of my door here in Germany.

I'm really happy with this vest, with all those small well-thought details. And after three safaris it begins to look real good... :lol:

Baseball cap, as I usually lose at least one per trip and they're replaceable.

I've also taken my giggle hat for walks, but I'm very attached to it and petrified of losing it, so didn't take it last time.

Mrs P and I and two of our friends all bought excellent zim-made pith helmets (the real deal, and very pukka) and wore them at times during the trip when we were all sozzled.

Pitch helmets should only be worn:

1. When very drunk

2. When raising the flag over the encampment and saluting

3. At Safari parties on continents other than Africa, and

4. When watching Zulu or Zulu dawn, and in accordance with rule "1" above.

I heartily concur with your 4 rules of the pith helmet, but would add one more:

5. Should preferably be worn in conjunction with the baggiest pair of khaki shorts one can possibly find!

The pith helmet rules are hilarious.

I thought of one more use for the Tilley. One time when I was not feeling so good on a 45 minute charter flight, I had my inverted Tilley in my lap just in case. A pith helmet would be more substantial in that case.