a crazed plan being set in morion

BobsCreek

Long time no post :)

after my trip in 2016 to Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa my goal has been to return.

at this point Im actually looking at shipping my truck to Southern Africa and then doing the "Visa Shuffle" from Namibia up to Kenya including S. Africa, Bots, Zam, Zim and Tans...

Why my truck? Im not exactly sane....

Simply put, I can afford to ship it there because the shipping cost is less than a rental of a decent truck runs.

Biggest question is CARNET. Is it needed? South Africa seems to require it, but its listed as "needed to ship a vehicle into the country", If Im driving it into SA form Namibia?????

I will also have assorted friends that will meet me at assorted places to enjoy a budget safari, helps keep money in my pocket and friends and family get to visit Africa for a reasonable price.

am I daft?

Edited by BobsCreek

Bob, I am not sure, but I think Dan Grec (http://theroadchoseme.com/) will probably be able to answer, as he has just done that himself.

What truck is it you are shipping in? Just wondering about the availability of spares, as a lot of the bigger US trucks aren't available here...

Thanks Peter, actually have asked him. He had one because he shipped to S. Africa, however it seems I would still need one to ship to Namibia.

As for the truck, yes. No spares will be found for it. It's a Chevrolet Colorado, about the sane size as your Ford Ranger.

It will require carrying a selection replacement parts with me

Edited by BobsCreek

Not mad at all so go for it.

If you need a  place to stay in Zimbabwe give me a shout.

Best wishes,

enzo

What part of Zim are you in? I'm thinking I will just stick more to the North if possible, run from Mana to Hwange lol, though I will at some point have to dash to Bietbridge to cross.

Then you have to pass through Bulawayo unless you get the ferry. I've got a small place in Burnside, Bulawayo, enough to park up and get car and body clean.

Enzo 

Enzo Elphick-Pooley | Zimbabwe | S20.204 E28.60935 | zw h +263 (0) 9 241131 | uk m | +44 (0) 776 860 6729 | uk h +44 (0) 1273 731 166 | skype africa4x4cafe | twitter @africa4x4cafe | www.africa4x4cafe.com www.milesandmilesofbloodyafrica.com

The AFRICA 4X4 CAFE: A hub for people buying/selling used overland vehicles in Africa.
Have you ever dreamed of buying a car and doing a self drive safari through Africa? Do you feel the need for a grand adventure or the opportunity to truly experience Africa "in the flesh"? Each of us has our own unique vision for our African experience and our own special requirements for our "trip of a lifetime". So if you want to do something special, if you want to do something on your own, then where do you start? Start here at the Africa 4x4 Cafe.

twitter-small.jpg 
Africa 4x4 Cafe: Miles and Miles of Bloody Africa!

Huh, didn't have to drop down there last time, but I could see heading there if I was going to SA from Hwange.

Funny thing, lost a petrol cap in Kassane, couldn't find one in Victoria Falls (when I discovered it was gone) and had to go to Bulawayo to find a new one.. or keep getting ticketed every 15k lol. 

We went down from Hwange Main Camp in my buddies truck. Found the gas cap and even found a new tail light cover for his truck (his Hi-Jack got mad at him), got back to camp and he discovered he had lost all his paperwork, including such things as his TIP..

Thankfully the ladies at the Camp we're awesome, they called the parts store and his paperwork was there, and one of their friends drove down to get it for minor fee.

You took the back roads then - via Bumi Hills? Anyway, the offer's still open.

Go well,

enzo

Yup, went via binga!

Ok, Carnet is going to happen.

Now, has anyone shipped a car into Namibia or SA?

What percentage of the vehicle value were you required to deposit? Also, was it just the value you claimed, or do they make up a number, use some data base???

Thanks