Game Warden

Where are you planning for 2019?

33 posts in this topic

What are your safari plans for 2019? Let us know by replying to this topic, and don't forget to start a dedicated trip planning topic here.

Matt

Not yet planned as such but intended............... a return to my favorite place on earth................. Mana Pools. Fingers crossed.

2 people like this

I'm not sure yet. I think I might keep an open mind and see what others are planning with a view to joining something, rather than doing a lot of the planning myself. 

1 person likes this

Nothing planned, but have asked Doug Macdonald to keep me in mind if trying to make up numbers for a trip to Mana Pools and possibly Kafue.

1 person likes this

Probably Porini camps in October 2019, which camps and what sequence has yet to be decided. As international flights cannot be booked until October this year, no hurry. 

1 person likes this

I'm planning to visit Sangha Lodge in Dzsanga Sangha National Park in the CAR. I'd also like to visit Kidepo National Park, Murchison Falls and Semliki Toro National Parks in Uganda. I'd also like to visit Mashatsu in Botswana in combination with Grootbos again.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, optig said:

Semliki Toro National Parks

@optig Please don't expect something very special with Semliki. The National Park is famous for the hot springs after an easy walk and a place for bird enthusiasts. No roade inside, only walking trails deeper in the forest. The Semliki Game Reserve is a place with a bit wildlife, but not easy to spot. Here the main attraction is a boot cruise in search for Shoebill. 

1 person likes this

@Botswanadreams Thank you for your advise. I'll probably skip it even if I enjoy birdwatching as much as anyone else.

Tanzania ‘s Northern Circuit in starting April1...

2 nights Tarangire Simba Lodge with 2 days in park for game drives, then late morning decent to crater, O/N at Sopa, early morning decent to crater, then visit to Oldupai Gorge and museum enroute to Ndutu, 3 nights Ndutu Njozi Camp, 3 nights Namiri Plains Camp, 2 nights Mbalageti Lodge in the Western Corridor, and ending with 3 nights at Dunia Camp. 

We also intend to do an overnight and day of sightseeing in Amsterdam on the way.

Counting down...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

- March: South Africa (Western Cape Region in particular) and as an add on Victoria Falls with a few days in Hwange

- August: not sure, 100% Kafue and SLNP. Probably Ruaha or Mana Pools as an extra.

Edited by Grasshopper_Club
2 people like this

I’m thinking chimpanzees, either Tanzania or Uganda.  And if Uganda, the gorilla habituation experience too.  Gorilla trekking for me was a life changer and I really would do it again.  A lot depends on budget, whether my safari friend Kim goes with, and if I manage to make my way back to the Mara in November of this year as I’m currently planning to (I’m finding the new Kenya Air flights from NYC too hard to pass up).

3 people like this

SRi lanka January, postponed from this year due to cost!

1 person likes this

Things are still very hazy on this one for us. Currently, I'm all over the map with a multitude of possibilities, but there are two that seem to have gained the most traction at this point:

I've broken the ice (pun intended) with Natural Habitat Adventures on a polar bear photography expedition out of Churchill, Manitoba in October/November 2019. (I'm generally not a "tour person," but this is one of the few instances where a tour really is the only practical way to do the trip).  

Alternatively, I've also put out feelers for Tanzania -- a Chada Katavi/Greystoke Mahale (and possibly Ruaha) combo in the August/September timeframe. 

Both of these possibilities ravage the budget, so right now I'm mainly focused on breathing exercises. 

5 people like this

39 minutes ago, Alexander33 said:

Things are still very hazy on this one for us. Currently, I'm all over the map with a multitude of possibilities, but there are two that seem to have gained the most traction at this point:

I've broken the ice (pun intended) with Natural Habitat Adventures on a polar bear photography expedition out of Churchill, Manitoba in October/November 2019. (I'm generally not a "tour person," but this is one of the few instances where a tour really is the only practical way to do the trip).  

Alternatively, I've also put out feelers for Tanzania -- a Chada Katavi/Greystoke Mahale (and possibly Ruaha) combo in the August/September timeframe. 

Both of these possibilities ravage the budget, so right now I'm mainly focused on breathing exercises. 

@Alexander33 I’ve kicked around both ideas too.  @ATravelynn has an excellent Churchill TR on here.  I also came across an Alaskan polar bear expedition that looks good too, as well as a Svalbard polar bear TR here too.

I just had a discussion with Karen at Access2Tanzania, who planned both my first Tanzanian trip as well as my Rwanda trip this year about the same Tanzania itinerary you mention.  I’m going to renew my discussion with her this summer after I have my fall plans in place.  It’s not cheap, but have a look at @GBE’s TR on the area.  It looks heavenly!  To be honest I’m torn between TZ and Uganda. I want the gorilla and chimp habituation experiences but also want some really good photographic safari too, which I think would be better in TZ.

1 person likes this

ah yes @Alexander33 I looked at those Natural Habitat Polar Bear tours, but the price made me hyperventilate :o I'm dying to do it though.

I've got nothing set for 2019 but seriously considering back to the Mara in February--like @amybatt I've been waiting for those non-stop flights from NYC. For fall, very possibly Patagonia for Puma tracking and birds as I had gotten quite far in planning that for 2018 but then changed course (to Australia.)  I'll start thinking more seriously about 2019 when I get back from my India trip (I'll probably be planning /scheming on the flight home.)

2 people like this

Some basic planning already done: an itinerary for revisiting South Namibia and Kgalagadi TP with our daughter for April/May is finalised but not yet sent to our travel agent. For January/February I am waiting for Zvezda to decide between Sri Lanka and one of the islands in the Caribbeans. The main event in August ... this one will be tough, swinging between continents and countries and changing minds after each TR read on ST :D. For sure not Africa or Europe or Central America. It is mostly Australia vs. South America right now. A shorter one end of October can even fly down to South Africa, sharing Kruger in 2016 was great.

4 people like this

My wife and I turn 40 next year - I've been floating India early in the year, and then Tanzania (postponed from this year) in August/September.  We'll see if she agrees - we've got two kids under 3 at home, and it takes a little more convincing these days to get her to leave them home with the grandparents.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, amybatt said:

To be honest I’m torn between TZ and Uganda. I want the gorilla and chimp habituation experiences but also want some really good photographic safari too, which I think would be better in TZ.

@amybatt

I know how you feel, and I end up in the same place on this dilemma as I have in my polar bear quandary (Svalbard or Churchill?). Answer to both: Yes -- eventually. 

Both destinations have unique things to offer, and while going to just one of the choices would  be magnificent, together they seem to compliment one another and round out the overall experience. (I can dream, right?)

Since I'm still processing and relishing our trip to Rwanda, Uganda just seems too similar at this point, so, for me, Tanzania wins out because it would be so different and new. At least, that's how the "logic" in my mind works it out. We'll see. Cost considerations could reverse that. 

Thanks for the trip report links. I had read them before, but a refresher never hurts.  In fact, ST has become my go-to incubator for trip ideas. 

2 people like this

Nothing booked yet - Very likely a Green Season Botswana mobile (really, really want to return to the Delta) and possibly a Patagonia trip later in the year. If that does not work out also considering Polar Bears around Svalbard.

6 people like this

2019 nope, but 2021 yes.  I turn 60 (in June)  so our goal is to be in Africa.  We have been once before to the Serengeti and Rwanda to see the Gorillas.  I want to do the 'Big 5' half Marathon in the Limpopo province, between Jo'burg and Kruger. 

Things on our possible list:  Gorillas, Chimps, Vic Falls, safari not 100% sure where yet.  But in Meru style tents, with preferably private guide.

I love the research so even though we are 3.5yrs out from our trip, I have just been told about this group, so finding it very very interesting reading.

Cheers

2 people like this

@ChrisM Better get the kettle on and brew up some tea: you have almost 12 years of content to catch up on ;) Now, you've got me thinking about  starting a 2020 and 2021 trip planning topic...

Matt

3 people like this

June 2019 all Kicheche camps for 11 nights in the various conservancies in Kenya.

Sangeeta was incredible in securing this safari and great pricing!

too far away.... but very excited!!

Will just keep reading Safaritalk till then!

3 people like this

@amybatt I know that it's terribly expensive but if you can afford it especially since it will be in all probability be a once in a lifetime experience I would visit Greystoke Mahale in combination with Chada Katavi. I have been both chimp and gorilla trekking in Uganda and as much as I loved both of them. I felt that the overhaul experience was far better at Mahale. I couldn't have loved it more, especially in combination with the week I spent at Chada Katavi. After no less than 14 safaris, I have to say that these are both two of my favorite safari destinations. I know that you want to do safari as well as primates so this would work particularly  well for you. 

1 hour ago, optig said:

@amybatt I know that it's terribly expensive but if you can afford it especially since it will be in all probability be a once in a lifetime experience I would visit Greystoke Mahale in combination with Chada Katavi. I have been both chimp and gorilla trekking in Uganda and as much as I loved both of them. I felt that the overhaul experience was far better at Mahale. I couldn't have loved it more, especially in combination with the week I spent at Chada Katavi. After no less than 14 safaris, I have to say that these are both two of my favorite safari destinations. I know that you want to do safari as well as primates so this would work particularly  well for you. 

Yes @optig that is what I'm hoping to do, especially after seeing @GBE trip report and talking to him about it when we met him in Rwanda last year.  My safari planner told me though that it is outrageously expensive to do as a single traveler, as the light aircraft is almost US$1000?  I will talk to her again early this summer and have her run some itineraries by me.  Fingers crossed it work out!!

1 person likes this

2018 will not see me travel to africa, but 2019 i will go again. I have two options that I consider. I have an invitation for a two week trip to the Kalahari in Botswana, or a trip I will take on my own, although meeting up with other participants, in the sabi sands, Djuma p.g.r, with an agency called at close quarters that does photographic safaris and get very good reviews. I have not decided yet, but as of now the weight tips in the favour of the sabi sands, try a little different enviroment. I will keep you posted as to how this turns out! 

1 person likes this