Wader ID Help

lmSA84

@offshorebirder, @Galana, @michael-ibk, @Dave Williams and anyone who might know I'm struggling to sort these waders. All photos are taken in Oman, at the Al Ansab Wetlands or in Muscat. 

All proposed birds are regularly found at the reserve - I'm just not sure if these are the right identifications. Apologies for the grainy photos.

I'm interested to see if you would agree with the identifications. I feel good about the first two but thereafter I'm not overly confident.

Common Sandpiper

large.DSC_9462.jpg.09fc21f00701bec4dc4e48b72a8771d0.jpg

Curlew Sandpiper

large.DSC_0821.jpg.3e3118f50b1e2e96488c6e589a329cac.jpg

Green Sandpiper

I think this is a green sandpiper owing to the the size, the white supercilium ending at the eye and a sharp contrast between the grey/black plumage and the white belly

large.DSC_0106.jpg.20d7ac16f560aa6e90681f1d16ca6ad1.jpg

Wood Sandpiper 

I think this is a Wood Sandpiper owing to the white markings on the back, the white supercilium reaching past the eye and the lack of clearly delineated contrast between the breast and back.

large.DSC_9700.jpg.03a6f83d07f8ff12fa039b1b186fe264.jpglarge.DSC_9690.jpg.94d8de13f13b786822716919cd1ce81c.jpg

Marsh Sandpiper

I think this is Marsh Sandpiper because of the shape, length of the bill, almost white face and distinct supercilium.

large.DSC_0251.jpg.fbdebf0e1e3fc69cdc8c4189690b3946.jpg

Temminck's stint

There is a Little Stint in the background, helpfully illustrating the size of this bird. Owing to size and lack of supercilium I don't think this is Common Sandpiper so I think it's Temminck's

large.DSC_0163.jpg.9c4cc5d96665312fb0218ca30cbaa12a.jpg

This bird I think might also be Temminck's but it has a whiteish throat which I think is wrong?

large.DSC_0403.jpg.fb46684f4184f4e56e9ab4777ff64f21.jpg

Edited by lmSA84

I would agree with all seven arguments.

I have seen some illustrations giving Temminck's a small white throat patch.

My favourite guideline for March is to imagine you are looking at a miniature Greenshank and it fits well.

Dave Williams

The Temminck's was my only doubt...I don't recall ever seeing one.... but looking at some photos to compare I think you have it right .

offshorebirder

Just so on all counts @lmSA84 - well done.  

• In comparison to dark-legged Little Stint and Red-necked Stint, Temminck's Stint has greenish or yellowish legs.  Of course leg color can be obscured on muddy-legged stints.
  • In comparison to the scalloped grey plumage of nonbreeding Little and Red-necked Stints, Temminck's Stint has plainer brownish plumage. 
  • The plain brown-grey face of Temmick's Stints accentuates their slight eye ring into looking more substantial.  One doesn't notice much of an eye ring effect on Little or Red-necked Stints.

Long-toed Stint has green legs and somewhat grey-brown plumage like Temminck's but it is more patterned and scalloped instead of more uniform grey-brown like Temminck's. Temminck's also has a much more solid breast pattern than Long-toed.

By the way, Coenraad Jacob Temminck - whom Temminck's Stint, Temminck's Tragopan, Temminck's Pangolin, etc. were named for - was quite a fellow.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenraad_Jacob_Temminck

@Galana, @Dave Williams and @offshorebirder - thank you for taking the time to check. It's much appreciated.

I enjoyed the link to Mr Temminck. It never crossed my mind that he might know Levaillant of South African bird fame.  

• 3 weeks later...

@Galana, @Dave Williams

The guide in Oman thought at the time that this was a Jack Snipe but having got home I'm not a 100%.

It's certainly small (as illustrated by the small rocks behind), the head angle isn't great for identification but given it's slightly turned to the side I don't think it has a central strip. I'm not sure about the bill though - what do you think? I haven't got any better images.  

large.DSC_9432.jpg.a6f25468aab6d80b9596a0e2cbf3fada.jpg

Looks like a common snipe. 

Dave Williams

What really makes a Jack Snipe stand out from a Common is the way it is constantly bobbing up and down ( when it's moving or feeding), mind you I have only ever seen one!

Edited by Dave Williams

I have only seen a Jack Snipe once, and confirm the bobbing motion. So I am no expert!

I think this looks more like a Common Snipe. Beak looks a bit long for Jack Snipe. Pattern above the eye more like Common, "crown blackish wth thin buff line down centre and long buff line over eye"

Another vote for Common Snipe. Jack Snipe is more close-coupled with shorter legs.

No seriously - thank you for taking the time to look. I haven't seen either bird often so I appreciate the thoughts

• 5 months later...

@Galana and @PeterHG - what do you think? Thekla or Crested Lark. Image taken in late June in Andalucia near the Cadiz Coast. 

Bill looks right, chest not so sure

DSC_2573.jpg.4a8364610f0173cd9a186db8b09a1051.jpg

Edited by lmSA84

That's a tough one.

Given the location, man made fence post, and the 'spotty' appearance my coin would tend to come down on a juv. Crested. It is certainly looking quite glum. Thekla tends to avoid the coastal littoral and prefers higher ground.

Fingers crossed.

Spots on the breast are perhaps more Thekla, but long bill with flat lower mandible would make it a Crested. The latter, in my view, is a more reliable feature, so yes, a  Crested.

• 3 years later...
Towlersonsafari

i hope @lmSA84does not mind if I pigy back on his topic but I too would love some help with waders we saw on a weeks holiday in Northumbria in November this year. So if @Galana, @offshorebirder or anyone else can help-I am rubbish at waders!  Apoloies for the poor photo's. First are these Bar Tailed Godwit?

_B126141_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

I arraned for an oystercatcher and redshank to help, but could these be little stint or are they sanderling perhaps?

_B126146_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

Finally I was hopin these might be Grey Plover.We also saw Purple Sandpiper,turnstone, Pale bellied Brent geese and for only the second time ever, a Woodcock

_B126160_DxO.jpg

@Towlersonsafari- anyone is welcome on any of my posts. The more the merrier - helps me to learn to. For what's its worth (and to be clear I would wait for the pros to comment) I think your Godwits are Bar-tailed based on the streaked back and supercilium. I would also say that you have a Grey Plover there.

The Sanderling vs. Little Stint vs. juvenile Dunlin are ones I struggle with but I think those are Little Stint. I think the one in the middle has a white strip on it's back.

Towlersonsafari

Thank you @lmSA84that is very helpful. i kow i have never seen a grey plover before and I cannot recall seeing a Little Stint so will add them to my informal list!

18 hours ago, Towlersonsafari said:

in Northumbria in November this year.

Ooh. Missed you. I was there, Budle Bay on 14th.

Grey Plover is fine.

Now I saw these.....that day. At least I THINK that I did.:(

1-DSCN0419-001.JPG.f8c134f25367e10f7777429d5c7f5828.JPG

Black-tailed Godwits.

1-DSCN0424.JPG.7a1a39f48a2e1b7147116723f83d0e3f.JPG

Dunlin and Turnstones.  and as the tide puished them in reach...

1-DSCN0443.JPG.4e7a119aedcd0d2b9ed66cf5105ca160.JPG

I put these down as juv Dunlin too. The bills are too long for Stints.

And in your Grey Plover shot I would suggest you also have a Black-tailed Godwit too. BUT it IS only a suggestion.

Next time we must fix a date. I had already met @Zim Girlon the opposite coast only two days earlier.

Towlersonsafari

Thanks @Galana and I could have done with your expertise .The photos were taken on a walk between Boulmer and Howick we were there a week earlier than you I think - that whole coast is a lot of fun. We then spent a wet but still splendid week on Mull. A meet up would be very jolly