penolva

57 minutes ago, Ratdcoops said:

Was great following your report you definitely had some great sitings. How lucky to get the mating pair of Leopard.

I  like that photo of the Zebra in front of the Wildebeest herd a lot . I don't know anything about photography and what makes a good photo but that one really appealed to me. 

Thanks @penolva

@Ratdcoops Thank you for following along. The herds were much larger than we expected to see and such a variation of animals with zebra, topi and wildebeest mixed together. Can't wait to go back! Pen

I am so glad that you stayed at Brian Freeman's camp in Masai Mara, @penolva! You also had Josh for a guide, he's been a good friend of mine for almost five years now...  I just don't know what to say about your safari - one of the very best in the Mara that I have ever seen on photos or video... The sightings have been just out of this world, so many of them that I just can not comment on individual ones. Fabulous photos, as well, again too many to comment, can't help not mentioning the red sunset (or was it a sunrise?), the breeding herd of elephants, the dramatic landscapes with the heavy clouds, the shot of the stars and the milky way that you have taken at the camp, the Mara River crossings, the lion cabs, the leopard shots... One of the nicest safari experiences that I have seen here and this is not because of the fact that Josh guided you and you stayed at Brian's camp... Mara always delivers... I hope that I will revisit the reserve some day...

Thanks for sharing this with us!

1 hour ago, FlyTraveler said:

I am so glad that you stayed at Brian Freeman's camp in Masai Mara, @penolva! You also had Josh for a guide, he's been a good friend of mine for almost five years now...  I just don't know what to say about your safari - one of the very best in the Mara that I have ever seen on photos or video... The sightings have been just out of this world, so many of them that I just can not comment on individual ones. Fabulous photos, as well, again too many to comment, can't help not mentioning the red sunset (or was it a sunrise?), the breeding herd of elephants, the dramatic landscapes with the heavy clouds, the shot of the stars and the milky way that you have taken at the camp, the Mara River crossings, the lion cabs, the leopard shots... One of the nicest safari experiences that I have seen here and this is not because of the fact that Josh guided you and you stayed at Brian's camp... Mara always delivers... I hope that I will revisit the reserve some day...

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Hi @FlyTraveler very glad you saw this as although I got your name wrong to start it was certainly your trip report that took us to Brian and Josh! It was a fabulous trip and we could not have wished for more beautiful animals and yes it was a sunset! We are going back later this year. We made that decision before we left for our flight back to Nairobi ? Pen

@penolva I just loved the Masai Mara portion of your Kenyan trip report. I can't wait to see the rest of your report. I'm now in the process of getting my Kenyan residence which will make going on safari not only in Kenya, but Tanzania and Uganda as well much cheaper. Needless to say I'd love to meet you the next time that your'e in Nairobi. You have an inherent passion for doing good.

26 minutes ago, optig said:

@penolva I just loved the Masai Mara portion of your Kenyan trip report. I can't wait to see the rest of your report. I'm now in the process of getting my Kenyan residence which will make going on safari not only in Kenya, but Tanzania and Uganda as well much cheaper. Needless to say I'd love to meet you the next time that your'e in Nairobi. You have an inherent passion for doing good.

Dear @optig such lovely words thank you. I was sorry to have missed you last time. Congratulations on becoming a Kenyan citizen. That’s wonderful. Pen

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pen, congratulations on a fabulous trip report! I truly enjoyed your writing, even your worrying about the well-being of some animals. I know, i do the same, being mothers, we just can’t help ourselves.

I’m so happy for you that you got to see all the leopards you have been wishing for: males, females, cubs, mating, drinking, lounging, eating in a tree.... all you dreamed and  hoped to see. And then all those lion and cheetahs, not to mention the wonderful crossings you observed as only by the way, no waiting involved... just amazing and truly a life time of memories from the Mara. And you are going back? Enyy, envy...

That’s what it’s all about... living life to its fullest...is my philosophy as well. 

Waiting for your next installment...

Excellent trip report Pen. I sound like a broken record when I keep repeating this- the Mara and I speak of the reserve itself- always delivers. But some times are better than others. Your trip solidly falls into the better category. The fact you had superb, unhurried, rare ( mating Leopards!) and most importantly mostly private sightings, shows why the Masai Mara for all its problems and corruption, remains unique and one of the globes finest safari destinations bar none. 

Edited by AKR1
Typos

On 10/02/2018 at 3:58 AM, KaliCA said:

Hi Pen, congratulations on a fabulous trip report! I truly enjoyed your writing, even your worrying about the well-being of some animals. I know, i do the same, being mothers, we just can’t help ourselves.

I’m so happy for you that you got to see all the leopards you have been wishing for: males, females, cubs, mating, drinking, lounging, eating in a tree.... all you dreamed and  hoped to see. And then all those lion and cheetahs, not to mention the wonderful crossings you observed as only by the way, no waiting involved... just amazing and truly a life time of memories from the Mara. And you are going back? Enyy, envy...

That’s what it’s all about... living life to its fullest...is my philosophy as well. 

Waiting for your next installment...

@KaliCA thank you so much for your kind words. We obviously have the same feelings about Africa and life in general . ? Pen

6 hours ago, AKR1 said:

Excellent trip report Pen. I sound like a broken record when I keep repeating this- the Mara and I speak of the reserve itself- always delivers. But some times are better than others. Your trip solidly falls into the better category. The fact you had superb, unhurried, rare ( mating Leopards!) and most importantly mostly private sightings, shows why the Masai Mara for all its problems and corruption, remains unique and one of the globes finest safari destinations bar none. 

@AKR1Thank you. I totally agree the Mara is heaven on Earth. Counting the weeks until we return. Pen

• 1 month later...

Oh my those skies both day and night.  I bet that mother lion did give birth in the culvert and you were the lucky witnesses of the first foray into the world. That's great you had so much time with them.  That leopard cub looks like a tough guy.  He'll make it!  The 5 Musketeers are especially impressive with the scenic background.  So are the elephants.  Wildes all over, way to go.

The number of balloons behind the racing cheetah is a bit shocking.  Where did that wild dog come from?  Leopard drink reflection, focus on the pink tongue!  My favorite is the hyena den.

Page 2

The rest:

10 leopards and such variety!  Love those blue-green eyes!  Baby jackals are the best.  And more wildes crossing the river.  Love the sparring lions on their hind legs.

The Mara delivered for you!

Edited by Atravelynn

@Atravelynn thanks for all the comments. You really take time to read Trip Reports and its much appreciated. We were very fortunate in the sightings and as @Game Warden pointed out 'Couldn't believe our luck" :lol: I dreamed of seeing leopards up close and my dream came true. The Mara is heaving with animals at that time of year its incredible and no where near as crowded as we were led to believe. I guess our guide made all the difference as he found the animals for us himself without being on the radio/mobile phone all the time. Pen

That is great you did not encounter crowds during the peak of peak seasons in mid August.  The crossings must have had a good deal of visitors, though.  You have given credit where it is due--the guide!  Now that you have "discovered" Kenya, it looks like your future plans are for becoming even more familiar with it!

8 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

That is great you did not encounter crowds during the peak of peak seasons in mid August.  The crossings must have had a good deal of visitors, though.  You have given credit where it is due--the guide!  Now that you have "discovered" Kenya, it looks like your future plans are for becoming even more familiar with it!

@Atravelynn very true we are also going back for a week this year as well as planning for 2019. Back to the Mara in September. There were crowds at the big crossings points but we generally stayed away from those and saw our crossings at smaller ones. There was hardly anyone else around. Pen

Wow lots of Kenya coming up! As long as the vehicles stay out of the wilde's path across the river, the #s are tolerable.  The rest of the place you had to yourself.  That's a safari.

7 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Wow lots of Kenya coming up! As long as the vehicles stay out of the wilde's path across the river, the #s are tolerable.  The rest of the place you had to yourself.  That's a safari.

@Atravelynn the two crowds of vehicles we saw were very well behaved staying right back. As most were at the river we seemed to have the park to ourselves most of the time. ?

That was a great safari itself and you still have a ways to go! The Mara always delivers the cats and you got that and more.I commented on my trip report that the Mara was "empty" with others in the Mara agreeing but it looks like a restocking has occurred. Really jealous of the crossings you got and you got so many good pictures.

Looking forward to the next 2 parts!

1 hour ago, dlo said:

That was a great safari itself and you still have a ways to go! The Mara always delivers the cats and you got that and more.I commented on my trip report that the Mara was "empty" with others in the Mara agreeing but it looks like a restocking has occurred. Really jealous of the crossings you got and you got so many good pictures.

Looking forward to the next 2 parts!

@dio I didn't read your 'empty' comment. Something had improved the situation for us, time of year?. Did you stay on the reserve side, in a concession or on the triangle? I do remember our guide saying the triangle was empty. 

Part 2 is finished and I have started on the part 3 which I know you will be interested in 'Elephants Big and Small ....' Pen

Well you really did see a lot! What an amazingly productive week. No wonder you are going back and good luck getting all that again.

28 minutes ago, pault said:

Well you really did see a lot! What an amazingly productive week. No wonder you are going back and good luck getting all that again.

@pault thanks for your comments. Number one on the list this year is a serval! Never seen one in the wild 

11 hours ago, penolva said:

@dio I didn't read your 'empty' comment. Something had improved the situation for us, time of year?. Did you stay on the reserve side, in a concession or on the triangle? I do remember our guide saying the triangle was empty. 

Part 2 is finished and I have started on the part 3 which I know you will be interested in 'Elephants Big and Small ....' Pen

We were in the Mara in November but we did have good quality just not quantity. We stayed in and out of the reserve but our first time in the Mara we had a ridiculous amount of cats. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I agree with @pault on getting that kind of luck again but if you do all of Safaritalk will be packing there bags to follow you!

I hope you get that serval soon, I've had great luck with them in Serengeti and Ngorongoro, probably close to double digits.

8 hours ago, dlo said:

We were in the Mara in November but we did have good quality just not quantity. We stayed in and out of the reserve but our first time in the Mara we had a ridiculous amount of cats. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I agree with @pault on getting that kind of luck again but if you do all of Safaritalk will be packing there bags to follow you!

I hope you get that serval soon, I've had great luck with them in Serengeti and Ngorongoro, probably close to double digits.

@dlo I hope we see at least one! Going back so soon is a lot to do with our guide who offered to do a freelance trip. He has a young family so we thought why not! We are stopping off in Kenya on our way to South Africa. We can also pop into the Nairobi orphanage for a quick visit ?