It's almost time for Big Year 2018...

Game Warden

Thank you everyone for your positivity and enthusiasm for our Big Years... I've created the Big Year 2018 Subforum here, so let's start filling it up. Who'll be first to upload a bird?

Matt

@michael-ibk thanks for the invite but I must politely decline--the last thing I need is another time suck, lol! I am STILL working through the Zambia photos and then I still need to do the trip report...I'm so far behind, and before you know it I'll be off on the next trip...just no time for this. In fact I try hard not to even follow these Big Year threads (although I peak once in awhile) as there's just so much else to stay on top of!

Perfectly understandable, @janzin, it does eat up quite a lot of time. But I'm happy you're working on the Zambia report, looking forward to that one. 

Dave Williams

@janzin Just had a look at your Facebook page and you have some cracking images. It must take ages typing the exif detail for every entry ( which is why I use Flickr to avoid having to do so on here) but having done all the work it's a two second job to copy and paste on to your Big Year page then drag and drop the image. Just a thought!

Beware though, you might find it addictive.

HNY Dave.

I agree with Dave, you’ve got lots of wonderful images, both on your Facebook page and your website, @janzin !

Thanks @Dave Williams and @PeterHG for your kind comments! But the issue is, I don't post nearly every bird I photograph, even on my FB page...for a Big Year, isn't that the point? In fact I don't even process every bird I photograph...far from it! Just don't have the time! And honestly, although I do have a life list, I am not super attentive or obsessive about counting.

BTW, I certainly don't hand-type all that Exif info :) The software I use for my Nikon cameras--Nikon-View NX-i-- makes it easy to get that info in one click and then I just copy/paste it into a text file.

No, @janzin, the point is to have fun, and to show us your great photos ?. There is only one race going on right now, between the turtle and the hare / rabbit ?.

Just post whatever bird impressed you, and be assured the rest out here will be both impressed and grateful!

Peter Connan

@janzin, this past year I also did not post every bird seen or photographed, generally only those of which I got "acceptable" photos.

This year, I plan to take that concept even one step further.

I do try to use it as an opportunity to learn though, about the birds especially but also about photographing them to best effect. Therefore, I do try to identify all the birds that I have managed to capture reasonably well.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that you are welcome to participate on any basis that pleases you, even iff you only share four or five special sightings through the year, we will be grateful!

offshorebirder

Sorry @michael-ibk but it just takes too long to process and post photos of so many species...

Dave Williams
10 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

Sorry @michael-ibk but it just takes too long to process and post photos of so many species...

@offshorebirder    Understandable..... and confident on numbers too!! You can help by checking the ID's of those posted though. One or two dodgy ones in my opinion:o:wacko::D

Edited by Dave Williams

I am in. I  can understand @janzin's point. I have found the BY does impact on the trip by change of emphasis on what is seen. Almost at the cost of quality wildlife viewing.

So for my 2nd year I won't be going for a high score so mch.

Having said that I DO enjoy the repartee b etween fellow posters and have made some friends.

And 2018 is off to a good start with a special today for @Peter Connan without even th e need to try a whistle.

2018 for mewill be more low key anyway with no trips as yet planned for Africa but I do have a few in the Bank since 1st Jan already..