It's almost time for Big Year 2018...

Game Warden

@Game Warden

Thank you for introducing The Big Year to Safaritalk- you have got @Thursday's Child and me much more interested in birds, and we go out much more frequently to look at birds. If there was a league table, we would be low down, but we have really enjoyed it.

We also get to see all of the other participants' local birds which is a real delight, and take pleasure in their new sightings. 

It it is a good humoured, friendly and supportive place to be. Well done for creating that opportunity for us.

I'll get cracking tomorrow on setting up the new subforum, so, who'll be the first one to start their new topic? And what birds appear in your garden on Jan 1st?

Thanks for the comments, it's great that everyone enjoys taking part, and you all submit wonderful photos.

Matt

Ready to go, thanks for the Big Year, Matt, it's been fun for us participants and I look forward to the next one. 

Ready to go (too tired to go out today to possibly add to my 2017 total)! Will likely be a smaller big year for me as both safaris are to South Africa, so a smaller set to capture...

Dave Williams

Yes thanks indeed Matt ( @Game Warden) you have certainly given me a new incentive to get out and get some fresh air. Our little group is very informative as well as great fun and I feel as if the contributors are all friends too despite not having met any in person.

Lets hope we get a few more joining in for 2018.

All the best everyone.....I hope I beat you all though.  :D:D

Seriously, good health, take care and safe travels wherever you go.

all the very best,

Dave.

My thanks as well, @Game Warden! It is such a pleasure to take part in this challenge, seeing contributions from all over and I completely agree with Dave, when he says that the participants feel like friends. Bantering, helping with ID’s, getting ideas for new places to visit and just enjoying each others photography, I’m in for next year! 

Wishing you all a healthy and productive 2018!

@Game Wardenthanks for the heads-up on Big Year 2018, I'm in!

Its raining here today, but I may take the camera out between showers and see what is about on 1 January 2018... and we're off and running for another year of shared local sightings, safari specials and some well loved favourites of which Lilac Breasted Roller, Pied Kingfisher and Little Bee-eater are the first to spring to mind. 

Camera ready, cards empty, BY2018 will start sharp at 08.0p :o:P:D. Target = #500.

0800? That's a lazy start to your 2018.:P

Edited by michael-ibk

Dave Williams

@xelas He's no Hare, he's a Rabbit !!!!!!!

13 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Ready to go, thanks for the Big Year, Matt, it's been fun for us participants and I look forward to the next one. 

fun for us non-birders too! 

@Kitsafari, I too suffer a bit of an identity crisis when it comes to "birder or non-birder", I too consider myself the latter. You should join, like I, for a bit of fun and a challenge. In my case, the biggest challenge is trying to get a decent photo.  I am new to all this, an apprentice birder, I hope in another few years to proudly say "I am a Birder", and have the skills to back that up.

I do love checking in here and seeing where people are heading to get the numbers up,  And they were some big numbers last year. The photography is beautiful and inspirational. My 2017 faded through lack of enthusiasm really, then last night, New Years Eve, 2 brand new Birds for me, rarely seen, local Birds and my enthusiasm is back. I've been out around the River today, camera in hand, so no excuses not to have another go I guess.  

@elefromoz i too love checking in to see the awesome photos of many beautiful birds. But my massive obstacle is - I cannot recognise the different species! i'm so intimidated by how a little difference in colour makes it a totally different bird. now if I have an App in the camera that can instantly identify the species as I take the photo then I will join the challenge! otherwise, I'm too ignorant and suffer from this impediment that stops me from remembering and recognising the species (much like the impediment that makes me camera technical-challenged, and trust me, no one will ever be able to teach me). 

So I'm just happy to let @Galana, @michael-ibk, PeterHG, PC, Xelas, Treepol, TDgraves and a few others fight it out!

Looking forward to seeing your new birds Elefromoz!

Dave Williams

@Kitsafari The Big Year is the perfect way to learn to use your camera as well as identify new species. Buy a decent bird guide book and if you still can't ID it, post the picture and let us help. You'll soon realise that although your book might have a few hundred birds to choose from they all fit in to a fairly small number of groups.... waterbirds, owl, finches etc. Look at things like bill shape to decide if they are seed eaters or insect catchers etc etc. 

Go on, have a go, nothing to loose, everything to gain.

@Dave Williams LOL!

see, I never knew you were supposed to look at the bill shape to determine if they were seed eaters or insect catchers. I thought all birds were both seed and insect eaters. I've got lots to learn.

Thanks for the encouragement. Perhaps I shall start at home. start small and see where it takes me! I've got a full 364 days to try (it's the end of Jan 1 at my side of the planet)! you might regret offering to ID birds as there'll be lots of them to ID. 

@Kitsafari there is an app that supposedly ids birds from photos (merlin bird ID) but it wouldn’t be in your camera. Pretty close though! Go on, give it a go....

@Tdgraves thanks for the tip. I downloaded merlin bird ID app but the species lists are for north and South America and europe, not for africa and asia. So not very apt for me.

Dave Williams

@Kitsafari May I ask where you live? You can always just aim to go local, take a look at what's in the back garden, local park etc. It's amazing how your eyes start seeing things you would have missed in the past. 

Also remember that what might be a common sight to you might be something everyone else aspires to see.

1 hour ago, Kitsafari said:

@Tdgraves thanks for the tip. I downloaded merlin bird ID app but the species lists are for north and South America and europe, not for africa and asia. So not very apt for me.

@Kitsafari I think that they are planning to expand their coverage, be patient!

@Dave Williams i live in singapore. There are some birds that often come around my home so I’ll start training with them first - shooting and then trying to ID. The first challenge is to get them to stay still and get out of the trees into a clear spot!

for sure @Tdgraves

Edited by Kitsafari

Just go for it @Kitsafari, many of us were no proper birders (whatever that actually means) when we started this, and it is a lot of fun. Would be great to see some birds from your patch of the world.

@Peter Connan, @lmSA84, @Galana, @Soukous, I take it (and hope) you are all in again?

@Patty, we generously granted you one year off but really would be great to see you back in the game for 2018, I missed your North America contributions.

And maybe one of Safaritalks more experienced birders would like to have a go? @janzin, @inyathi, @kittykat23uk, @offshorebirder, how about it? We would welcome you with open arms and certainly could learn a lot from you.

And our long-missed bird photography god - @Rainbirder, are you still here somewhere?

If I can get my act together I'll attempt this in 2018.  A proviso though, i don't have enough time to do a lot of photography at home and when I do I would rather concentrate on getting good images than just a record shot of another species for the list.

So any image you see from me will be;

> 75% of full frame and have no manipulation beyond processing for colour, contrast & sharpen for web. 

@Geoff, I am really excited to see your "at home" collection, and to enjoy  your photography of your Au Eastern species.

Very cool, @Geoff, I look forward to your contributions a lot.