AmyT

Sr T will visit Kenya!

22 posts in this topic

I hesitate to bring this up, knowing what a mess I made of my last query about travel to Africa!  But Kenya is my siren song and I want to return, NOW!

Happily, while I can't return NOW, I can return in 2018.  Hubs wants to go (although it will require a long layover each way), and his union managers are willing to make it happen (two weeks in a row, maybe even during prime time.)

We will probably have 12 nights on the ground, and want to spend our time in the Mara and surrounding areas.  Suggestions for the best bang for the buck in late March or June?  Thanks in advance

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@AmyT It does get addictive doesn't it? :)

I'm sure you will already have thought of it but if you liked Porini overall then late March is getting to low season and it may be worth contacting them directly to see what sort of itinerary/deal they can put together for a returning guest at that time.

Edited by pomkiwi
1 person likes this

@pomkiwiHubs' bosses were appalled that he missed out on our trip to Kenya, union or not.  They are going to make sure that he goes, this time.  LOL  They keep asking whether he has any new photos on his phone.  He doles out cubs every couple of weeks and they are in heaven just thinking about it!

Incidentally, his brother called one day to tell us that he was sharing photos with a friend of his who was born in Nairobi. Friend was in tears as he saw photos of his homeland, along with all the gorgeous animals and scenery.  We don't know whom we will touch with our love for Africa!

1 person likes this

Since we missed the migration by a couple of days in June, I'm thinking of spending some time in Tanzania too.  Any suggestions?  

@AmyT don't really think about meat the migration in June on any fixed place in Tanzania. In June 2015 we were very happy to get a special campsite in the western corridor. The gnus were not there like in the past. We met same in Bologonja.  None of them were up to the Mara Serengeti. In 2016 we were in the end of September in the Mara but most of the gnus hat already left to Tanzania.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

BIG NEWS!

My husband's doctor has given him the green light to travel during his foot surgery recovery.  We are planning to go to Kenya and/or Tanzania; on the ground between Nov 24 p.m. and Dec 5 a.m., fitting in a trip to DSWT for a private visit.  Walking safaris are out, because of his healing foot.  (Yes, next month!)

Which would you choose?  Saruni Samburu, or Namiri Plains and Ngorongoro Crater?  The balance will be spent in the Mara.  Thanks!

Edited by AmyT
1 person likes this

if you want a  more elephant  based experience you might like to  consider elephant watch camp  in Samburu in place  of Saruni 

they are operated  by Save the Elephants and the guides  have the radio collar readings

Personally, for your husband's first safari, at that time of year I would probably go for Namiri Plains and Ngorngoro ......... if those were my only choices. :mellow: Samburu might be gorgeous though, if there is rain - and it's more of a contrast to the Mara.. It is a potntially damp time of year but that can make for some grerat sunsets..

@AmyT I know nothing about what is being done to your husbands foot, but is there potentially a problem for your other half traveling a lot once you reach Africa, particularly extra air travel?

On that basis would remaining in Kenya limit that to some degree?

I say Kenya as you want to cover the elephant orphanage but if that is not a priority this time I would go with @pault 's suggestion of N'gorngoro and Namiri

Thank you @wilddog, @pault, @COSMIC RHINO

Wilddog... The doctor is not at all concerned about 24 hours of flight time, so I'd imagine an hour flight wouldn't be a problem (but I didn't ask that specific question.) He has severe arthritis in his big toe and all that entails with that; he's having the bone spurs removed and a plate put in.  

Pault... what would your recommendation be other than Namiri Plains?  (We are leaning heavily towards Saruni and Kenya, though.)

1 person likes this

Did you see Saruni Samburu just offered a stay 4 pay 3 deal for 2018!  Just to let you know.

Posted (edited)

They have it starting Dec 1 too!  But Dec 2 - 4 are booked up for the photo camp.  Still, it will be just as good (and same price) in November.

P.S. Hubby isn't interested in the Saruni Photo Camp trip.

Edited by AmyT

Samburu  is an area with rugged delightful scenery and distinctive local animals 

for save the elephants please  see  the BBC DVD The secret life of elephants

1 person likes this

It would  be good  if you get plane seats at the start of a block so your husband can stretch his legs

use a doctors letter if they ask for one 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, AmyT said:

They have it starting Dec 1 too!  But Dec 2 - 4 are booked up for the photo camp.  Still, it will be just as good (and same price) in November.

P.S. Hubby isn't interested in the Saruni Photo Camp trip.

Does this mean that idea is out, or does it mean that you want people to say things that will make your poor, limping husband feel guilty for not encouraging his wife's artisitic leanings at any cost? :D 

I won;t answer your other question - these choices are already good and any more will only distract you. Note there is quite a bit of walking to do at Saruni even if you are in the closest villa (Family villa #1) but you can get all your meals delivered to your room there I think and your vehicle can collect you from Villa #1 (only that one I believe).

Edited by pault
1 person likes this

Our trip is shaping up to be:

Saruni Samburu 3 nights

Rekero Naboisho Camp 3 nights

Rekero Mara Camp 3 nights

Plus Nairobi, of course.  I'm a little concerned about not being able to off-road as I found that to be an annoyance in Ol Pejeta.  Since Senor T has difficulty with getting two or more weeks off from work, we're going on the assumption that this might be his only long trip in the next 5 or so years. 

You can't off-road at Ol Pejeta?  I thought it was a conservancy?

2 hours ago, Tulips said:

You can't off-road at Ol Pejeta?  I thought it was a conservancy?

There was considerable discussion about this in my trip report. On the eastern side of the conservancy, where the rhino are, it appears to be limited. (I was told that we couldn't by our driver.) Close to Porini Rhino camp, we could. Unfortunately, I didn't get an "official" response from anyone who knew for sure.

And of course, to be totally contrary, I'm looking again at Tanzania. 

Decision made:  Back to Tanzania. We leave a month from today!

Lemala Ngorongoro, Namiri Plains, and Sayari Camp.  10 days of heaven.

Wonderful! I haven’t been to either yet.

how did you decide Tanzania vs Kenya?

@AandA

While I really, really wanted to return to Kenya, in the end I decided that it was better to have more time in between visits. That way I'm less likely to compare the two.  Plus Ngorongoro Crater is a big draw, in case hubby doesn't have a chance to return. He visited the largest caldera in the Galapagos Islands so I think he will enjoy comparing the two.  (The climb up Sierra Negra was through shoe-sucking mud and I turned back quickly.)

Also, in the Serengeti, we might be able to see the migration.  Time will tell.