Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madaboutcheetah

Chad - Now in the US Travel ban list .......

22 posts in this topic

Bummer @madaboutcheetah - I hope the U.S. administration reconsiders their illogical decision.   Until then, maybe Chad should rescind permission for the U.S. Air Force to fly out of Chad for Boko Haram surveillance flights...

1 person likes this

There are a number of very interesting theories as to why Chad was included. Some are quite amusing, some quite shocking. None really seem to make sense.

My understanding (unconfirmed but I am sure someone can confirm it) is that this means US citizens will not be able to get visas for Chad - although they can still do so as of today.That has to be bad news for Africa Parks and Zakouma NP.

@pault  I'm curious- why would it mean that US citizens couldn't get visa's for Chad? It's my understanding that this idiotic ban is for people coming into the US, not leaving it. Unless Chad decides to a tit for tat thing. What a mess the idiots in the administration are making :(

What about travel insurance etc etc., for such a trip now even if one is able to get a visa?

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, pault said:

My understanding (unconfirmed but I am sure someone can confirm it) is that this means US citizens will not be able to get visas for Chad - although they can still do so as of today.That has to be bad news for Africa Parks and Zakouma NP.

And from my perspective as a US citizen, bad news for US citizens. 

I can can tell you that as of right now, no one in the general public here knows why Chad was included on the list.  (Sadly, many people here don't even know that there's a country called Chad).  Media pundits have suggested that perhaps Trump doesn't like Chad because he, along with Jeff and Bob, were mean to him in junior high and are "losers."

Edited by Alexander33
7 people like this

12 hours ago, lmonmm said:

@pault  I'm curious- why would it mean that US citizens couldn't get visa's for Chad? It's my understanding that this idiotic ban is for people coming into the US, not leaving it. Unless Chad decides to a tit for tat thing. What a mess the idiots in the administration are making :(

Reciprocation is quite normal unless there are political or economic reasons for avoiding it. But like I said, that is not confirmed to my (limited) knowledge. Trump may even have to back down again.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Sangeeta said:

hmmmm, my link's not working. Maybe someone else could repost this?

Was this the link you were after @Sangeeta?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/09/25/why-did-the-u-s-travel-ban-add-counterterrorism-partner-chad-no-one-seems-quite-sure/

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, pault said:

Reciprocation is quite normal unless there are political or economic reasons for avoiding it.

Quite right - I just read that eastern Libya has banned US Citizens in reciprocation for our ban on theirs.  

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately we have just found out that due to Trump’s new travel ban which includes Chadian citizens, that President Dèby has reciprocated this ban and from yesterday the US embassy in N’Djamena has been closed and visas will no longer be issued to US citizens.
All other citizens UK / Europe etc are still good to go. 

Edited by Tony Busanga

Posted (edited)

I have just been informed by AP that the information we were given yesterday by AP is only a rumor.  I cannot guarantee that this will mean that it will remain like this as it is something that Zakouma have  been worried about ever since Trump issued the ban on Chadian’s.  

Edited by Tony Busanga
1 person likes this

Don't panic, Americans! I mailed in my application for a visa to visit Chad in March 2018 a week ago, on September 29, to the embassy in Washington, D.C.  Today I received back my passport with the visa in it - so I'm going to Zakouma for real now! I hope that Chad will realize the value of tourists coming to see their beautiful wildlife and not reciprocate against this move by the U.S. (I also hope the U.S. will revoke the ban on Chad). 

6 people like this

there are risks with some places ,but blanket bans are not the best approach to take

@Safarichick as I told @Sangeeta any travel ban on Chadian citizens to the United States  will undoubtedly be full of loopholes. I spoke to @Sangeeta and she told me not to worry. I just bought my ticket to Nd'jemena from Nairobi and already sent a copy to Chloe Cottrel who works for Doug. I am excited about this trip as well as going to Ethiopia.

1 person likes this

Good news! A Hawaii federal court has just blocked major portions of the new travel ban before it was to go into force tomorrow! 

Watson’s order, issued in response to a lawsuit filed by the state of Hawaii, a Honolulu-based mosque, its imam and two state residents who have relatives in the affected countries, stops the government from enforcing the new restrictions on travel from all of the nations except North Korea and Venezuela.

Challengers to the ban said it would hurt Hawaii’s state university system, which has students, professors and visitors from the blocked countries, as well as the Hawaii tourism industry. Individuals who sued said the ban would prevent their relatives from immigrating to the U.S. and visiting.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-travel-ban-hawaii-20171017-story.html

So for now, Chad is no longer affected by the ban - it will not be in effect as to Chad. Hopefully our persistent president won't attempt to renew any travel ban against Chad. Sigh.

1 person likes this

I am happy to report that our Chad visas came through in only a few days.

3 people like this

Hmm - this is interesting as to one of the reasons Chad got ON the travel ban in the first place: they ran out of passport paper?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chad-donald-trump-travel-ban-partly-due-to-passport-paper-shortage/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

1 person likes this

@SafariChick I was going to post the same news article as I was totally flabbergasted by the potential reason. Insane. :(

1 person likes this

Yup. Totally, @lmonmm And you may have heard that after Chad was put on the travel ban list, they pulled their troops out of Niger, where they'd been fighting Boko Haram. Rachel Maddow is making a connection to the four U.S. soldiers killed in Niger just days after Chad pulled out and all that having something to do with why Trump has been so reluctant to talk about those men losing their lives.  Wow. What a mess he created. Short video clip below:

2 people like this

I couldn't be more excited about my upcoming trip to Zakouma and Chad. I am sure that it will be high on my list of favorite safari destinations. I am so delighted that a judge blocked the ban because it shows sanity prevailing.

1 person likes this