offshorebirder

Video of another Jaguar in Arizona

6 posts in this topic

This video of a male Jaguar was taken in the Chiricahua Mountains in Arizona - one of the most diverse habitats in North America:

https://www.facebook.com/CenterforBioDiv/videos/10155533994380460/

I was very happy to learn this, as I will be visiting there next May, as I guide Ben Mugambi from Kenya on his trip to the USA.  I don't expect any Jaguar sightings, but maybe we will get lucky and see a track.

9 people like this

@offshorebirder

Thank you for drawing my attention to this unique footage, it is indeed great news. I first became aware of Jaguar sightings in southern Arizona in 1996 when Warner Glenn took some unique images of a large Jaguar in the Peloncillo Mountains, whilst out hunting for Mountain Lion. They were described at the time as the first images ever taken of a truly wild Jaguar taken in the U.S.A.  He published a booklet (28 pages) 'Eyes of Fire' which contains the ten images taken during the sighting, and a narrative on his thoughts and experiences. I have spent quite a lot of time in that region over the years but never seen a cat of any shape or form unfortunately, I am however fully aware that Jaguar are occasionally seen in the region. Last visit was in 2011 picked up another interesting book ' Ambushed - on the Jaguar Trail, Hidden Cameras on the Mexican Border (Jack & Anna Childs) contains over 130 images of  Southwestern wildlife, mainly taken by camera traps. Includes more recent Jaguar sightings, and even humans were caught in behaviour- and misbehaviour-characteristic of their species! Let's hope Trump isn't true to his word and starts to build his wall, which would stop the Jaguar's return to its' historic home, dead in the water.

Thanks again, hope you have some success in May for your guest.

2 people like this

A friend said he had trouble accessing the Facebook video, so here is the Youtube version:

3 people like this

Thanks for the info @johnweir.    I bought Werner Glenn's book shortly after it came out - amazing pre-digital photos he acquired in a turbulent situation.    Did you know the Glenn family was the subject of a recent reality TV show?    

I appreciate the info on Jack Child's book - am I correct in thinking he is part of the Borderlands coalition trying to establish a migration corridor for Jaguars between Mexico and the "Sky Islands" in Arizona?

I celebrate each male Jaguar in the USA in recent years - El Jefe, Macho B, etc. - but I really would like a female to appear!

I share your trepidation regarding the border wall.  The sections that are already up in parts of Arizona are already causing terrible ecological damage - particularly the section across the San Pedro River / Riparian National Conservation Area.   One hand of the US Federal Government destroying the efforts of other hands...

2 people like this

@offshorebirder, Yes he and his wife Anna apparently set up the Borderlands Jaguar Detection Project in 2001, know very little about their work. Will need to do some investigation into their goals and how successful their work is proving to be.

The book which is well worth having a look at is readily available on Amazon, good second hand copies are available for just a few dollars. The camera trap images are very interesting.

It would be great to have a small population doing well in the northernmost part of their natural range after so many years without any sightings at all. It might just be that I spoke to the wrong people during our many visits to the Southwest but I detected a very negative attitude to wildcats generally, particularly amongst ranchers.

I contacted Warner Glenn many years ago to see if he could get me in a position to shoot some mountain lion images was rather disappointed he never replied, ( I think his idea of shooting was very different to mine ) still haven't seen one yet despite numerous attempts, but fairly sure one has probably seen me.

Fingers crossed for a female jaguar sighting soon and the establishment of a small population in the Southwest.   

2 people like this

After the disappearance of El Jefe (most likely returned to Mexico), I thought that might be the last one we see around here.  But, now we have "Sombra" (another male) which is great news.  The Jaguar has been captured on trail cams multiple times dating back to last November.  It's awesome to see this predator back in it's native territory.  

However, given the current political climate I don't have high hopes for this Jaguar.  Even if the Jaguar survives the politics it may not survive the ranchers and hunters.

Sorry, to be so negative but this great cat faces a large uphill battle for survival in the US unfortunately.

3 people like this