Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tulips

Segera Retreat, Segera Conservancy, Laikipia County, Kenya

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

1) Name of property and country: Segera Retreat, Kenya

2) Website address if known: Segera.com

3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known).  August 2017 so the High season.

4) Length of stay: Four nights

5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I was looking for somewhere special to stay and this was provided to me as an option.  It had everything I wanted, but it did come at a price.

6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently?  My agent booked it and yes, everything was well handled.

7) How many times have you been on Safari?  Last year and this year.

8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda

9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? I'm not comparing to this to other properties.  I will list the other properties I'd people are interested.

10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? It's got cactus around the villas, but not fenced per se.

11) How many rooms/tents does it have?  6 villas, another bigger villa and two larger houses.

12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? I had villa 6.  It was private and overlooked a watering hole frequented by giraffe and zebra.  I also had a tee frequented by birds.

13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? Very comfortably furnished.

14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why.  Loved the food.  The chef, Elizabeth is an amazing cook.  Everything is fresh.

15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?). There is no set menu.  You just tell Elizabeth what you would like and she will make it for you.  You just have to tell her the day before.

16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes?  It was private dining in a different location for every meal.

17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives?  Very good.

18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible.  I had a vehicle to myself.  There was plenty of room.  The vehicle has a roof, but is otherwise open.

19) How many guests per row?  There were 3 rows with room for two guests.

20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken?  Yes, the routes were varied unless we had a sighting and wanted to revisit.  The drives could be as long or as short as you want.  

21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you?  There is no set schedule.  You can go out whe you want, for as long as you want.  

22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?  As it is a private conservancy, other vehicles are not an issue.

23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity? N/A

24) Are you able to off-road?  Absolutely as it is a private conservancy.

25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting.  N/A

26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings?  Grevy's zebra, birds,  cats and yes, I saw them all.

27) How was the standard of guiding? Fabulous

28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue?

29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why: My guide and I really hit it off from the start.  We we on the same page.  I wanted long drives and was immediately told that would be no problem.  Together, we saw a huge variety of wildlife.

30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? Absolutely.

31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known.  The Zeitz Foundation, Katubo Woman.

32) Safaritalk trip report link:

33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:  My stay was exceptional and I really hated to leave.

34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.

This was my villa

P1140874.thumb.jpg.8a14e846248dabb8b1e6ddcaf1877f26.jpg

This is the outdoor swing bed on the ground level

P1140906.thumb.jpg.72135d2c454eb0cc4016172e567970b4.jpg

Art work in the gardens

P1140935.thumb.jpg.464ab328a02fec2244e5d32773bf5abe.jpg

My Villa from the outside

P1160100.thumb.jpg.5b0e3c9ee77d2c865416a018d0cf50e1.jpg

Edited by Tulips
4 people like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0