Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AmyT

Post Processing

6 posts in this topic

I love kudu and only got one shot at one and the lighting is way off.  While I have photoshop (CS4 and CS6) I don't use it often enough to do more than general tweaking.  Can anyone help me get a usable print from this shot?

Thanks in advance.

KY0_7245.JPG

How's this? I'm not an expert so I opened in CameraRaw as though it was a RAW file, then hit Auto and took about half a stop off as it tends to overdo things. Tweaked contrast , whites and highlights. I didn't do any sharpening.

amyt_kudu-1.thumb.jpg.5172b3120b78b0019643a2c76507023e.jpg

6 people like this

Much better than what I was able to accomplish! Thank you!

I don't shoot RAW; don't know how to process it. That being said (written), I have two slots in my camera so could use one for RAW. 

Thanks again!

@AmyT RAW images are typically 12 or 14 bit data rather than JPEG's 8 bits so records more levels of light and dark making under or over exposed images easier to improve. So it would be insurance to record both a JPEG and RAW version of each image. But it would take a lot more storage space on your flash cards and hard disk. So there is a cost to the insurance.

1 person likes this

Nice work @JohnR

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

As former owner of Nikon D7100 body, which was the one that @AmyT is using, I can confirm it has 2 slots for SD cards, so settings can be done in a way that Slot 1 is recording RAW and Slot 2 is recording JPEG.

However, the second JPEG is really redundant; each and every RAW image has embedded JPEG image, and there is no need for any processing of RAW. Both proprietary Nikon softwares ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D can extract those JPEGS automatically. Thus you will have RAW for anyone with knowledge to play with, and JPEG as it is recorded according to camera settings.

Finally, this is what using Capture NX-D I was able to bring out of original photo; I have to admit that @JohnR attempt is better.

original size

AmyT_02.thumb.jpg.770ade27eff75a93717cd6f851c15c4a.jpg

cropped

AmyT_03.thumb.jpg.12e500d43fbd1f702fef6595d7019a9e.jpg

Edited by xelas
3 people like this