18 posts in this topic


I am just in the process of putting together a report on my recent trip to Botswana.

It was mobile camping trip. I was part of a group lead by wildlife and nature photographer Theo Allofs and his wife Jami Tarris. They had organised this trip in association Brian Gibson of Capture Africa based in Maun. It was my first mobile camping experience and it was absolutely fantastic.

The trip's itinerary was as follows:

23rd September to 3rd October 2017

Day 1 Thamalakane River Lodge, Maun

Day 2,3,4: Moremi Game Reserve

Day 5,6,7: Khwai Community Concession

Day 8,9,10: Savuti, Chobe National Park

Day 11: Thamalakane River Lodge, Maun

Day 12: Helicopter flight over Okavango Delta with Helicopter Horizons in the morning. Fly to Jo'burg in the afternoon


Will post day by day account soon. I need to figure out how to add videos and shots from my mobile phone to the report.



7 people like this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had some beers with Theo long time ago in India, good guy and answer question if you ask. How is he doing?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wildship said:

Had some beers with Theo long time ago in India, good guy and answer question if you ask. How is he doing?

He is doing well! Had quite a few beers with him on the trip! He is now based in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He operates a company called Wild Focus Expeditions along with his wife Jami Tarris. We had a great time in Botswana.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, vikramghanekar said:

The trip's itinerary was as follows:

23rd September to 3rd October 2017


@vikramghanekar I'm confused by the dates. Was this safari in 2016? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry. It's 23rd August to 3rs September 2017. Thank you @Geoff

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikram, Look forward to images and the report .......

Quick question - How was Savuti?  Which part of the delta did your helicopter ride take you over?  Sounds like an amazing time ........ 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Vikram, Look forward to images and the report .......

Quick question - How was Savuti?  Which part of the delta did your helicopter ride take you over?  Sounds like an amazing time ........ 

Savuti was hot, dry and full of action. 4 male lions brought down a buffalo close to the public campsite. Saw 2 lionesses on an eland kill and a lion pair in pre-mating rituals. To top it off, a female leopard with a very young cub on "Leopard Rock".

I am not sure which part of the delta we were flying over, but at one point the pilot said that we were flying over Chief's Island/ Moremi Game Reserve area. It was 1 hour flight, so we covered a lot of area.

1 person likes this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Botswana has always been on my mind for a long time. However, the ultra luxury camps in private concessions was not really an attraction for me (my wife would have a different opinion). When Theo Allofs put together a mobile camping trip to Botswana, I dived straight in.  The opportunity to join a world class veteran pro wildlife photographer in one of the most sought after destinations in Africa, I was not going to miss.

After getting a visa for Botswana within a "short" period of one month and 4 days, finally I was on the plane to Johannesburg via Dubai. Experienced travellers had asked me to make sure that I check my baggage in at Mumbai airport through to Maun as collecting it at Jo'burg and rechecking it in is impossible for holders of Indian passport (Collecting baggage at Jo'burg means a visa for SA, which I didn't have). My flight from Mumbai to Jo'burg was with Emirates and connection to Maun was with Airlink. 

I was going to share my tent with Dr. Senthil, a radiologist from the US. We had never met. Chatting on Facebook messenger made me realise we were connecting at Dubai and will be on the same flight to Jo'burg. I was trying to compare my fellow passengers faces with Senthil's profile  pics on Facebook while waiting to board at Dubai airport. I was almost convinced one of them was Senthil (of course he wasn't). Thankfully I didn't approach him (he would have been stunned). Senthil, however, found me out on the aircraft itself. (Probably his skills at diagnosing diseases from radiographs came in handy at recognising people from their photographs).

We had long layover at Jo'burg (5 hours). The time was spent in a Cafe' admiring Senthil's photos from his previous trips to East Africa (He is a fantastic photographer).

I finally landed in Maun at 1:30 pm. Theo and our guide for the trip Brian Gibson (owner of Capture Africa) greeted me at the airport (along with some other passengers in the group). We were transferred to Thamalakane River Lodge for an overnight stop.

Thamalakane River Lodge is situated about 15 km from Maun, on the way to Moremi Game Reserve.

It turned out to be a very pleasant lodge with beautiful surroundings, good food and service.



View from the restaurant 





They offer Mokoro and Riverboat cruises




Our cottage



View from the cottage


In the evening we were briefed by Theo/Jami and Brian about our trip. Jami handed over maps, checklists, basic photography information booklet and a buff.

Dinner was a buffet with decent food. I retired early, tired from 24 hours of travelling.


Next day morning after breakfast we checked out and assembled in the parking. Our adventure was about to begin.

Including Theo and Jami, there were 10 of us. Apart from Brian, Josh was the other guide.

We had two open landcruisers. One had trailer for luggage. The camp crew had left previous day to set up the camp at our first destination: Moremi Game Reserve




Josh sorting out baggage in the trailer.



Initial part of the drive was on a tar road to Shorowe village after which the dirt road began.

On our way we saw a large bull elephant munching away by the side of the road. He was completely relaxed and not bothered about self drivers whizzing past him. After about 2 hours of driving we reached the famous game fence. Apparently the fence is now broken in most places and there is hardly any maintenance. It is, however, intact where we crossed. I guess it's a matter of keeping up the appearances.


By noon we reached the South Gate of Moremi Game Reserve



Decorations at the gate




Brian completed the formalities at the office. There was a clean loo behind the office.




 Stretching legs at the gate




Signboard inside the gate




We parked near public campsite just inside the gate. There were hardly any occupants. 

We had a packed lunch and stretched our legs some more.

Soon we were surrounded by quite a few birds: Francolins, Mieve's starlings and Yellow billed hornbills as well as a bunch of squirrels and even a dwarf mongoose!


10 people like this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see you get to this post-haste, Vikram! Looks like a fun time being had by all.

1 person likes this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great start @vikramghanekar.    I am really looking forward to the rest of your report and photos!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

After lunch we proceeded to our camp in Moremi. It took a lot of driving. There was a lot of water around and so were the animals. We made stops to watch a family of elephants, some zebras and some red lechwes- A new species for me.

Finally we reached our camp by 3 pm. The tents were ready. We quickly freshened up and re assembled in the dining tent for some tea and delicious cake and left for evening game drive.

It was already 5pm and we had to be back by 6:30. Not too far away from the camp, Brian found tracks of a leopard. We were in the process of tracking the big cat when we received a call on the radio from Basha, Brian's handyman in the camp. "Wild dogs just passed through the camp".

We hastened back towards the camp. Suddenly as we took a turn, there they were on the road.




They were quite pale in colour.



We followed them to an open area. They were behaving a little strange. Initially we thought they were out on a hunt. But instead of spreading out, they were close together and literally had their noses to the ground. 





Josh was speculating what they were upto.

The dogs were on our right... Suddenly they were all alert and looking towards our left.

As I looked towards left, a second pack of about 10-12 dogs rushed in from our left.  All the hell broke loose. There were dogs all around us, chasing each other with twittering and excitement. Dust was flying through the air. It was an incredible sight! I managed to click a few pictures in the dying late evening light (the sun had already set). D500 worked admirably, locking focus more often than not.


Dogs chasing each other.



Wild dog in an all out pursuit



Greyhound ?



It was over within a few minutes as one pack managed to chase off the other.




What an incredible start to our safari! First day, first game drive!!

Couldn't even have wished for this! 



Edited by vikramghanekar
16 people like this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@vikramghanekar..WOW!  how exciting to see this action with dogs

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 1 contd:

We returned to the camp after all the excitement with wild dogs. Sitting around campfire, nursing drinks and exchanging stories is one of my favourite activities while on safari. This evening was no different. After customary G&Ts all of us sat down to enjoy the dinner. But the evening was not over yet! Suddenly, one of the staff members rushed in. There were lions in the camp. Desert forgotten, we jumped in one vehicle. Just about 20 metres down the road our car headlights found 2 big male lions walking on the road. We followed them for a while, but they were certainly on a mission and were in no mood to stop. We, of course, couldn't follow, being in a national park. We returned to our desserts and then were off to bed. Thus was the end of a super exciting first day of our safari.

1 person likes this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2

After an early morning wake up followed by coffee, rusks and some porridge, we were off on our morning drive.

After all the excitement of yesterday, today seemed a little subdued.

But we were in for surprise. Just 15 minutes into the drive, we ran into the wild dogs.
It was still dark and they were mobile.

They had puppies with them, probably moving their den as a result of yesterday's interaction with the "dark" pack.59bd4dbc7da6b_23Moremi(1of1).jpg.ae21f65a0781475a977597a2b0ea3de2.jpg



Dog looks keenly into the bush




There were quite nervous and moving fast. We left them in peace and moved on.

Soon we found the tracks of the 2 male lions that we had seen last night. We followed the tracks for a while but soon lost them in thick bush.

After driving around for a while, Josh found tracks of a male and a female leopard. Francolins in the nearby bush were going berserk. Josh was quite certain that the leopards were around. While Brain moved ahead with the other vehicle, we decided to stick around make some intensive search. The search soon yielded fruit.

We found this guy on the move.



He was quite a big guy and was very relaxed. But he was on the move. Soon we caught a glimpse of what he was doing. There was a female leopard that he was following! A mating pair. Unfortunately, the female was very skittish and was not happy with our presence. We tried to follow them, but soon they disappeared in thick bush.


After losing them, we found a family of elephants walking through tall grass.




The family had a really tiny calf with them. All of a sudden, they stopped in their tracks and started smelling the air. They were quite alert and didn't look too pleased. We soon found out the cause of their discomfort.

A pair of wild dogs! They appeared to be from the same "pale" pack and were out on a hunt. There were quite a few impalas around. We waited with baited breath to see if they would be successful in their endeavor. But the impalas spotted them and ran off, snorting loudly as they went. The grass was quite long and the ground was covered with wild sage bush. So tracking dogs was very difficult. We soon lost them.

we found a few interesting birds on our way.


A little bee eater with dragonfly kill



An African Hoopoe



A sunbird (don't know which)




A bateleur eagle



Soon it was getting hot. We returned back to the camp for brunch and siesta.

11 people like this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stunning sightings so far!


The sunbird is a White-breasted.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic start of report! Love the photos and your descriptions! More please.... am curious about your mobile experience.... thanks for taking the time to do this Vikram!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @AandA




Our camp was situated on the banks of a shallow marsh.  It was interesting to watch animals coming down to drink.

After lunch, I decided to take a brief nap. But the tent had become quite hot and it was difficult to sleep.

I decided to spend my time lying in the shade of a large tree in front of the camp. It was quite cool under the tree and gentle breeze made it even more comfortable.

Some camp photos.

Bar/ Tea-Coffee station



Closer Look



Dining tent




Lunch made by Flo. Simply delicious 










Post Lunch Siesta/ Game viewing





We headed out for our afternoon drive at about 4 pm.

We came across a Tawny Eagle




A Mieve's Starling 59c6901aad0a4_40Moremi(1of1).thumb.jpg.45a5fafc9046c2d04678098af489a6c5.jpg


Double banded Sandgrouse- Female






Photographing a dead tree with interesting pattern: Theo and Senthil




Didn't turn out too well. It would be much more interesting at night with star trails in the background




We found some lion spoor and searched for them, in vain.


Instead we found Wild Dogs, again.




It was very brief sighting and we lost them in thick bush.

It was soon getting dark and we headed home.

As compared to yesterday evening, today was a quiet day.

At night while having dinner, we heard some commotion in front of our camp.

We heard wild dogs calling from our right side followed by response from our left. Brian guessed that the pack was somehow split up and now the members were trying to get back together. It was followed by laughing sound of hyenas, for me the quintessential sound of Africa.

Brian scouted the marshy area in front of the camp with his torch. No surprises there. 3-4 hyenas were running across, whooping excitedly. Their whooping was immediately followed by contact calls of wild dogs.

Soon a lone wild dog was running across from our left to right. He briefly encountered the hyenas, but without hesitation ran around them and probably reunited with his pack.

After watching this interesting interaction, I called it a day and retired to the tent. 

Tomorrow a new day in the bush awaited!



2 people like this

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

© 2006 - 2017 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.