Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
optig

The true connection between Rhino ranching and poaching

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

https://iwbond.org/2016/04/19/whos-actually-killing-and-making-a-killing-from-rhino/

This is a wonderful article because it shows just how the rhino ranchers are often in fact involved in poaching themselves. In fact  Mr. Hume even admitted one would have to smuggle the rhino horn out of the country in order to sell it and that it would be sold illegally in China and Vietnam. No wonder he even admitted the auction of rhino horn was such a failure. He now wants to have it again but what's the point? Interesting enough both  Mr. Hume and the Minister of the Environment Edna Molewa are blaming each other for the sale's flop. 

Edited by wilddog
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Please excuse the error it wasn't mine it was my secretary who made the mistake. Obviously I wanted to say poaching.

Edited by optig

Dear @optig whilst I largely share your sentiments, and read the article with interest, I don't think you can make the comment you did about an individual, not named in the article and with no evidence to suggest a link.you may want to re-visit that and edit it to avoid any unsupported  conjecture.

It does seem bizarre that one can hold an auction, advertising it in china and Vietnam, that is supposed to be only for domestic customers mind you.One can certainly comment on that. and I still would love to see evidence that a legal trade in rare wildlife helps the wild population. I suspect the entertaining practice of farming Bile from Sun bears does not help the wild population, nor Tiger farming in china etc etc

1 person likes this

Was the auction advertised in China and Vietnam? By who? Any links for that?

Posted (edited)

This auction certainly was advertised in China and Vietnam. @Towlersonsafari  please note that Gideon Val Deventer, Nicolas Van Deventer, Frans Deventer, Groenewald Gang, Dawie Groenewald, Hugo Ras, Moses Bay, Harry Claassens, Peter Thormanlen, Christian Frederik Van Wyk  are all rhino horn ranchers who were all indicted for illegal traffic in rhino horn before this auction was legalized. I will write more on this subject later. 

Edited by optig
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@optig I think the juxta position between your first and second sentence in post 1 may be misconstrued/misinterpreted.

Certainly there were several people indicted in 2016 as you indicate in post 5, but Hume was not one of them. We just need to be a bit careful how we express ourselves I think

Edited by wilddog
1 person likes this

22 hours ago, optig said:

Please excuse the error it wasn't mine it was my secretary who made the mistake. Obviously I wanted to say poaching.

Title corrected for you @optig