modleski

Questions about Porini camps

27 posts in this topic

I don't want to turn this thread into a critique of ATR, but I have to say take what they recommend with "a grain of salt." Twice I have asked them for quotes for a safari, and twice they came in with quotes WAY over the budget I said I had...I mean, not even close, it was insulting.  They are definitely pushing more expensive camps. Only after me telling them that their proposal was out of the question did they reluctantly come back with less expensive suggestions which they were very clear "would not be as suitable." On top of that, one of their agents was very condescending to me when I suggested combining Laikipia with the Mara, he literally said "why would you want to go on safari in degraded farming habitat?" I would never bother with them again (although their website is very useful :)

Anyway, we loved Porini Lion camp and had excellent guiding and sightings there (see my review on this site as well as my trip report "Can you have too much time in the Mara".) I would go back in a heartbeat and I would definitely like to combine it with other Porini camps for a future trip.

2 people like this

well said @janzin

Laikipia & Mara is a fantastic combination. 

1 person likes this