Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
optig

Botswana bans all Ivory Trade

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/animals/breaking-pro-ivory-trade-countrys-change-of-heart-upends-elephant-debate.aspx?utm_content=bufferf5312&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer 

This latest news just made my day. It is welcome news because it sends a strong signal to all those who advocate maintaining the trade in ivory. If Botswana can do it  therefore it sends a strong signal to Namibia, Zimbabwe and even Zambia which are trying to sell off it's seized ivory. Furthermore, It's a blow to those who will remain nameless, who claim that the trade in ivory has to be well regulated and maintained in order to preserve the elephant population despite the fact  that China is gradually closing it's ivory factories and that Hong Kong will close all the shops selling ivory by 2021.  I have even had those in favor of ivory trading tell me that the US would lift its ban on ivory after Trump was elected President.

Edited by optig
2 people like this

This is great news

the Zimbabwe and Namibia populations may include those who have wander in from Botswana

Hong Kong is taking far too long to ban ivory , strong opinion polls support a quick ban

1 person likes this

Well  it looked interesting, so I tried to find the actual statement by the minister

Turns out that  the whole article is a repeat of one from OCT 2016   CITES meeting , please see    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/elephants-ivory-trade-botswana-cites/