Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AmyT

Zimbabwe customs

6 posts in this topic

Two months before my flight to Zimbabwe!  Any words of wisdom or pointers about getting out of the airport in Harare?  

I'm still nervous about my first walking safari but that's probably because it's my first solo trip.

Thanks in advance!

Do not worry, you will be fine and love it, you are in very good hands with Doug.

Harare airport is not very big and staff were very friendly when I was there. I do recommend to be fast when exiting the plane and fill in the forms for visa swiftly because otherwise you can be part of a long queue.

I assume you will be picked up in the arrivals area?

2 people like this

Just be patient and calm. This is Africa after all so things can move frustratingly slowly.

You will probably have completed an Entry document on the flight for presentation at Passport Control etc. This may need your Zim contact address etc. as well as passport details. If this is not available on your flight ask when you get to the arrivals hall pre-passport control

As a UK citizen I can get my visa on arrival. Probably the same for US citizens but do check. Best to have the cash for the visa with you. Again it is slow.

Once through, your bags should have arrived on the carousel and you can head for the Green Channel in the usual way. On exiting this area they will almost certainly check that the bag you have with you matches your luggage tag. 

Once through Doug or his Representative should be waiting for you. 

1 person likes this

We leave home nine weeks today, looking forward to meeting you Amy. If you happen to be flying with Emirates, we could be on the same flight into Harare.

1 person likes this

@AmyT  I've never done a complete walking safari, but the walks are fun (what few I've done). And the solo part? Not to worry. Almost all of my safaris have been solo and although there are some drawbacks, there are also a lot of benefits. The whole tent to yourself :)  You get to do what you want to do and don't have to worry about figuring it out with others in your entourage :)    Honestly, I almost prefer solo travel despite the extra costs or having to book things differently because of being solo.  For me, one of the benefits is that I tend to be a bit of a hermit at home and these trips make me interact more- that's a good thing. But, I can also go back to my tent to be by myself when I need to. You are going to have a wonderful time and I look forward to the report!!!!

2 people like this

Thank you @michael-ibk, @wilddog, @Seniortraveller and @lmonmm... I am out of my element when not shepherding family members hither and yon. 

The heat in So Cal is oppressive ... 104F and 30 percent humidity. Has anyone tried the arctic cool shirts and are they worthwhile?  

1 person likes this