8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

We are running a short (3-4 night) group trip to the Upper Omo Valley in conjunction with our safaris to Zakouma in Feb/March 2018.

This trip will not visit the many tribes on the eastern side of the river, but just the Surma on the less-visited western bank of the Omo.

We have a wonderful trip report on the Suri/Surma/Omo Valley here on ST and some lovely photos by @divewop, so do check that out to get a sense of what to expect.

We are 3-4 already signed up & looking for 2-3 more to make the charter flight costs viable. If interested, please PM me and I will send you the details.

Thanks a lot - Sangeeta

Edited by Sangeeta
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I remember those photos that @divewop posted years ago, so striking! I know that with this trip at the end of it you are also planning a scenic flight over Gambella National Park in a small plane, which I imagine would be really incredible.  

Edited by SafariChick
2 people like this

Sign me up!  I think it'll be an incredible trip combined with Zakouma---wildlife plus the cultural richness of the Omo Valley---and a flyover of Gambella!  That will be a very rich itinerary!  

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@gatoratlarge, I have signed up as well because I know that this will be an absolutely awesome trip which I simply couldn't take on my own. The only problem with me as your safari companion is that I am about the world's most loquacious man-especially when it comes to my favorite subject which is Africa in any shape and form. Furthermore, I am constantly thinking and coming up with new ideas and theories. Anyway, I am delighted that I'll be going on safari with you along with my buddy Sangeeta and her friend. As you know I respect you for your experience and knowledge and the fact that you are a gentleman.  

Edited by optig
3 people like this

Thks a lot @optig  I think it will be quite the experience and the likelihood these tribes assimilate and lose their distinct culture makes visiting now all the more imperative...plus a flight over Gambella??  Very few will ever see what I hope to see with the kob migration...fingers crossed!

3 people like this

@gatoratlarge I have often felt the same because the Ethiopian government is currently in the process of constructing a giant dam and other infrastructure in the south of the country with Chinese aid and finance. I don't think that the south of Ethiopia will ever be the same again. Please keep in mind that there is a long history of animosity  between the North and south because the Southern tribes have always been viewed as primitive, bantu animists by the Amharic speaking Northerns who are semitic and Coptic Christians and have an ancient culture including of course their alphabet. Apparently, Menelik II the greatest Emperor of Ethiopian history carried out a virtually unknown war of genocide against these people. Ethiopia was massively involved in the slave trade in the  early part of the 20th-century.   

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 8/31/2017 at 0:00 AM, Sangeeta said:

Edited by aholman
1 person likes this

Not that you said anything here @aholman 😄

But thank you for reading the thread & fingers crossed we can persuade you to hop aboard! That will make up the magic 6!