Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madaboutcheetah

Africa Geographic article with the economics of Lion hunting

5 posts in this topic

WOW!!!  This article is absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How funny I was just coming in to share this fabulous article. I wish those hunting just for the thrill of it would wake up to this reality. Those hunting to provide for their families I have not qualms with.

I found this comparison staggering.  Let's even say the value of a live lion is way off  and is 10 times less than what was calculated.

"We once did a survey in Savuti in Botswana and calculated the value of a male lion dead (as a trophy) versus its value as an eco-tourism asset. It is complicated but its value dead was US$15,000 at that time whereas its value alive was around US$2,000,000. This is because of that basic oversight in your argument: a photographed lion yawns at the dawn repeatedly for photographs for over 10 years, attracting fees and lodging costs and also, importantly, distributing value down the chain to airlines, wages, curios, communities and food purchases (none of which were actually included in the US$2M calculation). However, one bullet ends those yawns in the sunrise forever for that lion."

That would still be $15,000 dead vs. $200,000 alive.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

here is a link to a US Congressional  report called MISSING THE MARK  which questions the economic merits of safari hunting  

http://democrats-naturalresources.house.gov/imo/media/doc/Missing the Mark.pdf

Edited by COSMIC RHINO