Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ice

Regurgitating Wild Dogs

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm in the middle of writing up the manuscript for my most recent travel diary. In July I spent six nights in Kwhai and was lucky enough to have some of the best sightings of my life. We were able to daily spend six or more hours with one of the local wild dog packs and their most recent offspring. More than once I was able to film members of the pack regurgitate food for the young ones and the alpha female. Anyway, I now wonder where the hunters store the food before giving some of it back. According to wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regurgitation_(digestion)

(and that's the only article I found on the net so far) in the pharynx or the esophagus. I find that hard to believe, though: sometimes more than 12 hours had passed between the kill and the regurgitating - would hungry dogs after a successful hunt really wait that long?

However, I stand of course to be corrected. Maybe one of the researchers among us can help to clarify.

thanks (pictures courtesy of my 14 years old daughter - no editing, no photoshopping)

22 Fotos Kira 271.JPG

22 Fotos Kira 275.JPG

Edited by ice
3 people like this

You have a budding wildlife photographer in your family.  "

Regurgitating Wild Dogs may not be a hot topic in many circles, but it is here!

2 people like this

yes....and remember Solo at Mombo.  We saw her hunt and then regurgitate for the jackal pups which were part of her family..  @ice..what a wonderful experience for your daughter.  A STer of the future.