Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ice

Marrick Game Farm

19 posts in this topic

does somebody have a direct eMail address for Marrick? I've tried to use the contact sheet on their webpage but so far, they are not responding

thanks

Hello @ice i was not going to mention it, but we were also looking to visit Marrick as part of a trip next year.It sounds wonderful, all the reports describe what friendly folk and committed conservationists the people who run Marrick are, and to be clear, I am very sure that is true. At least one big UK based nature tour operator visits them as part of a rare mammal trip. The chance to see Aardvark and black footed Cat is a very enticing prospect and  I hope they continue to thrive. What decided us against visiting them, a purely personal decision, was that a very kind Safaritalk member emailed me to gently mention that they also carried out a certain amount of antelope hunting on site. Now as i understand it hunting in South Africa is a winter occupation.They may well need it to ensure the financial success of the game farm, and one can easily make a strong case for going to continue to show that photo tourists may be the way to go-just imagine one might even be able to see Aardvarks in winter in daylight. Other folk will not care, and that is fine.Hunting in South Africa is to many folk a way of life  but for us though it seemed hypocritical to go, as our stand point is to start from an anti-sport hunting viewpoint. I was not going to mention it because i didn't want to start yet another fruitless hunting debate , especially under the Marrick name.I hope tourists continue to go there and the place thrives.One fnal point,strangely the only way we found out ourselves  was searching the web and finding a Danish language website (according to Google translate)!

I did spend hours agonizing over the decision and .I understand hunting and tourism is kept apart on different areas of the farm . 

2 people like this

@ice have you tried them on messenger? I'm going there next month, can't wait!! :D

Let me know if you find an email address @ice - it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever sign up for Facebook, so I can't contact them that way...

1 person likes this

try email Norman at marrick@marricksafari.com

2 people like this

Thanks Jo!

no worries they were slow to respond to me and to my tour agent but I have the booking printout now so that all seems resolved. 

@Towlersonsafari

well I of course cannot speak for others but I certainly appreciate your input and I for once do share your opinion about hunting and hunters. See, the reason why I am asking for a way to contact them is that I want(ed) to ask a few questions before booking with them and one of them would regard hunting. I am not sure if they advertise this "activity" on their website (I've so far only given it a perfunctionary glance) but I noticed they have a shooting range. I will now have to seriously re-consider my decision.

1 hour ago, offshorebirder said:

Let me know if you find an email address @ice - it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever sign up for Facebook, so I can't contact them that way...

same here, no way I will join Facebook

1 person likes this

Hello again @ice  the link to the Danish language site is here  http://www.marrick-safari.dk/   but again it may be that they need the income from hunting to keep the place viable, and without it a less helpful to aardvark land use would  be put in its place.I imagine any game farm, with the buying and selling of stock, may be part of a chain that includes sport hunting and any hunting on Marrick that goes on is not going to impact on the photo tourism side of things. When trying to find an alternative I came across a karoo location that openly said because it was a small reserve, they had an excess of stock that they allowed to be hunted as a way of keeping the balance and another that did not allow hunting on its land, but did host hunting parties as an accommodation base in the quieter winter months as they just could not survive without doing so.It does get very tricky!

Hi

I can confirm that hunting is offered according to the Danish website. I am Danish so google translate is not needed:D

They even make it easier by offering international visitors the possibility  to rent weapons so they dont have to deal with carrying guns across borders.They also have a shooting range that is also being used by other people in the region.

I am not against hunting per say (for non endangered species that can be used for food), but I am not sure that I would appreciate the noise that comes with hunting and a shooting range nearby.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Oh man oh man oh man...

First of all. 
Marrick can be a little slow in responding E-mails but their contact sheet worked for me. You can also contact Trevor Datnow or Marrick thru Facebook.

Second.
Yes, Marrick do hunting. As many others in this region. Photosafari is more or less non existence here. That is the only way for them to support and be able to pay for their land, earn some money and have workers. 

The thing with Marrick, which difference them from others is that they have a vision of other income and that´s why they are alone of offering this world class nightdrives.

No, you won´t be seeing it at all and you wont be hearing it as it is in another area from where you going to be if you want it to be so. Trevor meets your needs, I am sure.
If there is someone there at all. When I was there, I was the only guest... and that is why they need hunting clients. 

Trevor Datnow, the owner of the lodge have a vision of one day only have photo safari. No more hunting. He don´t like it. He is a keen birder and a photograph by himself. And so are some of his friends I met.
My excellent guide on nightdrives, Johnny complained to me about the next guest´s because they were hunters and he didn´t like to guide hunters and don´t want to do it. He love guiding photo safaris though.
But that´s their only way to earn money. 

For me it seems like a very small scale thing. Like I said. No one att all was there during my stay and you won´t notice it at all.

If people don´t go there because they do hunting you also support hunting and Trevor´s and Johnny´s whish of only having photosafari will never ever be true.
One less photosafri means they need to bring in another hunter instead... 
So think about it, and do it carefully. 

It´s way more hunting in other areas you happily going to safari so once again, don´t support hunters and go to Marrick for photo safari! You won´t regret it. It´s a fantastic place! 

Edited by Antee
5 people like this

2 hours ago, Antee said:

First of all. 
Marrick can be a little slow in responding E-mails but their contact sheet worked for me. You can also contact Trevor Datnow or Marrick thru Facebook.

as I have mentioned before, I am not on Facebook and I will never be on Facebook

Thank you @Antee for a very reasoned reply on the hunting issue. We are going to Marrick next May. Like you I understand that the only way they will be able to do away with hunting is to support them, that is what happened in Sabi Sand once it became economic to only do eco tourism/ photosafari, that is what Timbavati are working towards. I  cannot understand why anyone could even want to hunt animals like lions, elephant etc and hate the thought but I know that there are other sides to the story and I am not in a position to judge.Really enjoyed your report, Marrick has been on my bucket list for many years and am thrilled we have finally been able to book to go there.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, ice said:

as I have mentioned before, I am not on Facebook and I will never be on Facebook

Okey, then use a phone and call if you don´t have answer. 
Send the mail again and they will answer you. 

4 hours ago, KiwiGran said:

Thank you @Antee for a very reasoned reply on the hunting issue. We are going to Marrick next May. Like you I understand that the only way they will be able to do away with hunting is to support them, that is what happened in Sabi Sand once it became economic to only do eco tourism/ photosafari, that is what Timbavati are working towards. I  cannot understand why anyone could even want to hunt animals like lions, elephant etc and hate the thought but I know that there are other sides to the story and I am not in a position to judge.Really enjoyed your report, Marrick has been on my bucket list for many years and am thrilled we have finally been able to book to go there.

I am glad you are going to see the shy nocturnal animals! You will have a great time in a peaceful area with great hosts! 

Of course no one will stop hunting if you don´t have an alternative. And if people don´t visit for photo-safari then there is no alternative... 

More photo-tourists means less hunters and the opposite.

But people don´t realise this and for real think that they do something good and help stop hunting with boycotte. But it doesn´t work that way and have never worked that way and will never worked that way in the future either. It´s totally the opposite.

For the record. Marrick don´t hunt big game such as Elephants, Lions etc etc. They breeding Springboks, Nyala, Sable and some other common Antelopes.

Edited by Antee

to get back to the original purpose of this thread:

could somebody give me a rough idea about what they charge for their game drives?

thanks

@iceI received this information from Trevor back in November 2016 so there may have been some price rises during 2017.

Day Drives are R 990/drive. That is for the vehicle and driver.

Night drives @ R 2800/night.

This includes a driver, spotter and guide. Not per person, but for the vehicle.

1 person likes this

@Treepol

thanks, this is pretty much the information I have since received from Trevor, too (+/- R 100, I believe)

That's what we were quoted too.