Atravelynn

Those Totality Chasers (Eclipse)

9 posts in this topic

"These die-hard eclipse chasers will go to great lengths to oogle their beloved phenomenon. Some pay $10,000 or more for a trip to where the eclipse is taking place.  And many are not content with seeing just one eclipse or two, they keep seeking out more!  Seems excessive to me. These folks are fanatics.  Can't they find a better way to spend their money?"

Does this sound familiar?  Substitute safari for eclipse and see if it fits.

;)

Hope you got to see the eclipse, if it was in your area.  I enjoyed a partial.

4 people like this

I was fortunate to see the total eclipse here in Tennessee, and it was really amazing.  First and only one I'll ever see, but I'd trade it gladly for any safari!

2 people like this

A friend of mine in Portland spent her day at a winery!  That's my idea of celebrating!  I viewed a partial eclipse with 450 elementary students.  We all enjoyed it.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Does this sound familiar?  Substitute safari for eclipse and see if it fits.

Sounds very familiar, except for the duration - two-minute safaris costing thousands would not get many takers.  

I wonder how popular a total eclipse event traversing safari areas would be?   Might be the high point of people's lives who are both safari and eclipse  enthusiasts.  What would they call "sundowner" drinks during totality?

The total eclipse passed directly over Charleston (people were paying four figures for one night hotel stays) but I didn't even bother going outside.

Edited by offshorebirder
1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Pamshelton3932 said:

I was fortunate to see the total eclipse here in Tennessee, and it was really amazing.  First and only one I'll ever see, but I'd trade it gladly for any safari!  Maybe you can do a combo someday as Offshorebirder suggests.

7 hours ago, AmyT said:

A friend of mine in Portland spent her day at a winery! Hope she looked up while imbibing.  That's my idea of celebrating!  I viewed a partial eclipse with 450 elementary students.Making sure they all used their glasses had to be like whack-a-mole.  Hope you were able to steal a glance skyward as well.  We all enjoyed it.  

4 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

Sounds very familiar, except for the duration - two-minute safaris costing thousands would not get many takers.  Good point, although some of my wildlife highlights from a whole are minutes or seconds in duration. 

I wonder how popular a total eclipse event traversing safari areas would be?   Might be the high point of people's lives who are both safari and eclipse  enthusiasts.  What would they call "sundowner" drinks during totality?  Ba-dum-bump

The total eclipse passed directly over Charleston (people were paying four figures for one night hotel stays) but I didn't even bother going outside.

6 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

!!! Honestly that was your loss. I was fortunate enough to see one total eclipse in my life--in 1991 at the ruins of Monte Alban, Mexico. It was one of the longest totalities of the century--almost 7 minutes. I have to say it was life-changing. I will never forget it...it just gives me chills to think about it. To see the shadow bands...the corona...the diamond ring...and being up on the ruins was magical, I have to say that added to the impact but even so...

I was so completely bummed that I could not travel to a totality area for this eclipse, as we have a family event (tonight in fact) that if I missed, my head would be on a platter :( plus we had Zambia upcoming. I did of course see the partial (70% here) but there's no comparison, maybe in safari terms, its like the difference of seeing a lion sleeping vs an incredible hunt and kill. But its much more than that.

I would absolutely love to do a safari chasing trip but the problem to me is that its an expensive risk...if its cloudy or god forbid, raining and overcast, its a bust. Combining an eclipse with a safari would be astounding, and then less risky! and I recall that in 2016 that was possible in southern Tanzania, although it was an annular eclipse, not full totality.  This still would have been an awesome trip!

http://eclipsetours.com/upcoming-tours/2016-annular-eclipse-tanzania/

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, janzin said:

Honestly that was your loss

Not in the least.   Early/false sunsets that last a few minutes?    Please.

I don't begrudge people going "gaga"  over such things - their choice.   But so many people have been telling me I should join the rest of the lemmings and go gaga too, I have eclipse fatigue - big time.

2 people like this

I have friends who have seen total eclipse in the African bush and as well as the obvious spectacle, what fascinated them was the animal behaviour - birds and mammals all acting like it was sundown even though this event happened before 11am.

1 person likes this