Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AKR1

The Wonder women of a Botswana safari

8 posts in this topic

@AKR1Thank you for posting!  I knew that there were female guides out there and have been thinking about them.  Maybe Botswana will be in my future! :D

My first female guide was in Botswana, Heidi Dednam.  We did a mobile safari of about 10 days.  She was outstanding.

not the type of place for me but interesting

better drivers, fewer vehicle repairs , lower fuel bills 

well fascinating   in view of common and  unjustified comments that women are bad drivers

Awesome article ........

FYI - A first in Tanzania, is Asilia at Dunia Camp in the Serengeti. 

I'm fairly sure (correct me if i'm wrong) that the first qualified female safari guide in Botswana was Danielle Proulx. 

A Canadian she was at Selinda in the late 1990's managing Motswiri camp with her then boyfriend (Duncan).

Some of the Canadian members might know of her as years later she walked across Canada to raise awareness and funding into research for a disease that claimed her brother's life. Apparently she appeared on the TV morning breakfast shows during the walk?  

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

I'm fairly sure (correct me if i'm wrong) that the first qualified female safari guide in Botswana was Danielle Proulx. 

A Canadian she was at Selinda in the late 1990's managing Motswiri camp with her then boyfriend (Duncan).

@Geoff

i am not sure. In 1989, my guide in Chobe was a lady called Pam. I need to go and find her surname, but I recall that she and her husband had been guarding over Chobe Game Lodge during the years when the lodge was closed due to insecurity caused by the warfare in nearby Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) - in the late 1970s.

I do not know what kind of qualifications for guides were in place in 1989, but she and her husband were definitely considered senior guides.

1 person likes this

Our guide at Chobe Game Lodge, GAO, was the BEST of the 3 places we went to this May. She loved her job (many many years) and her excitement at each and every bird/animal was infectious! She would stay at any sighting as long as wanted by our fellow jeep-mates and took us out from 6-11:30 or 6-1:30 when we saw amazing sightings: for example, wild dogs on a chase and later lying around on ground,  a series of crocs dragging a lechwe down a river and then devouring it (we watched for more than an hour!)

Surprised that this place, which was WAY too impersonal  and large for my tastes, had the BEST guide.... we also stayed at Kirkmans and The Hide in Zim, FYI.