Gilgamesh

Why are trip costs usually not mentioned in a report?

16 posts in this topic

I have gained a lot of knowledge reading up on various topics including numerous trip reports. Safari's in particular are costly vacations. So, the cost involved IMO is pertinent and useful information. I am curious why no one mentions it - particularly for those fixed priced all-inclusive types where the whole trip was organized by a single company. I know it's impossible to list costs if it was paid piece meal, but most safari's seems to be organized by one company.

When I post my trip report, I intend to mention the cost involved, is that against any forum rules or bad etiquette? I would think that information will be very useful to the readers. 

1 person likes this

I think sometimes people are embarrassed to admit how much they spend on trips :)
But I agree with you - it is something we are probably all interested in - maybe not at the time of reading the thread - but whenever you plan a trip somewhere - you search the topic - and find the info you need - the cost might therefor become important to others.

I think it also has to do with purchasing power. 

Different agents may be able to negotiate different rates for people based on their relationship with a camp or operator.  It may depend on the time of year, wher her you are a repeat visitor, etc. etc.

I think if I said my safari cost as an example, $4,000, and you were quoted a higher price, you might want the price I was quoted even though the circumstances might be different. 

I guess if someone private messaged me I might give the info out, bit I don't think I would put it out there as general info. 

2 people like this

Totally agree with you @Tulips Happy to share privately in most cases but not publicly . There are so many variables in bookings; repeat customers, shared private flights, seasonal reductions, last minute discounts and as you suggest rates from preferred suppliers. Plus a whole host of other things.

3 people like this

Thank you, makes sense

@Gilgamesh I would love pricing information to use only as a general guide.  I do understand that circumstances differ, but it would be nice knowing right away whether a trip someone has taken is anywhere near my particular budget. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Like some other already mentioned. It´s worthless to mention the price as it is so many variables in it. 
The price is old and not applicable at the same time you post it... more or less. 

And for me, who often travel without a fixed price on special tours I do not even know myself how much I have paid in totally :) 

I think it´s better to mention the company or the guide you use. Then you can contact them by yourself or look at their webpage for price and conditions.

That´s why I don´t personally post it. I don´t see the info useful.

Edited by Antee

Safari "seems" to cost more because you pay most of it up front.  Our family of four went to Orlando for a week over spring break, visiting Disney and Universal Studios.  Excluding the flights, the price was the SAME as my two week Kenya safari with my daughter.  The price per person, per week, was the same.  When you consider how much is packed into a safari (food, guiding, sleeping arrangements, transportation, entertainment)... it becomes a pretty good value.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

7 people like this

I think it has been covered before (but I couldn't find it)... different people have different needs and are therefore prepared to pay different prices to meet those needs. Disclosing pricing drew criticism from some members that others had paid too much. Those comments were made however without understanding the needs and the proposition that the member had bought into. So disclosing prices necessitates a longer elaboration of the proposition bought into and no one wants to defend their purchases; it's not what this forum is about.

1 person likes this

I have had same "problem" as @Gilgamesh . So many great trips, but is any of them within my travel budget?? After a while and building a relationships with several members here, I can ask them directly what their costs were. And for many lodges mentioned prices are readily posted on their web sites.

I asked the same question when I enrolled on here!

Budget is important to most of us...well to me anyway. However, I can see that things change rapidly from season to season, year to year, and unless you quote local currency then it depends on the value of your native one. 

I am quite happy to share my costs which are easily available if you look on line for things like hotels, car hire or even package tours wether they be day trips or complete holidays but I also appreciate that not everyone want's to divulge what they agree to pay for private guiding. 

I must admit though that tour companies that don't advertise their prices in any way appear  to me like shops that don't put prices on anything. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it so personally I don't tend to bother even asking. 

There are Safaritalk offers posted here by private guides and tour companies which are complete packages so it gives a good idea on what you might have to pay.

The one thing to watch out for though that I have recently found to my cost is that not everything is included in a package or that there might be extra costs that you hadn't thought about. Read carefully the itinerary before jumping in and booking a trip.

All will be revealed on my next trip report, a cruise and land tour combination !!!

4 people like this

When I book a trip , it's often months before I travel. So when I get back I don't always have those details to hand. But I am happy to dig out costs if I can. The only time I couldn't really provide cost is when a guide or  company has give a particularly good discount and asked me to keep that private. 

2 people like this

I don't think it's important to say that a trip to ABC-city cost x$ for 10 days - I would be more interested in what one should plan for - 

eg - entry fees - like in Istanbul - buy one of those passes that allows you 5 entries 

how expensive is transport - eg  - do you use private transport - is it expensive - rent a vehicle - or is the infrastructure suitable to hop on a tram or something like that. Tour operators usually list their package prices on their websites - but those are for fixed tours, that information is readily available. 

how expensive is food, accommodation - that kind of thing would be of interest to me. We  dont always tally every single cent we spend on any trip  - so ai general idea of what to expect can be useful. 
For Cape Town I will say this - the infrastructure isn't user-friendly for traveling. Trains are cheap but should be a no-no for tourist. Taxi's are expensive. Uber is cheaper. Car Rental  is viable. Hop-on red tour bus is good - but limited. 

I'm very much like @AmyT in that when I add up the up front costs of a trip somewhere else (France, Italy) and then add in everything I spend on the ground when I'm there, it usually comes really close to the same amount of time on safari. I've been taken to task quite hard on other forums for saying that, but it's the truth, and I don't go high-end in Europe or elsewhere.  I think paying for everything up front for safari is what puts people off.  It's that "all in" total that  makes it seem a lot more expensive than other vacations they may be used to.  Most people don't tally their out of pocket spend on non-safari vacations and that can be when the costs creep up unexpectedly.

I'm more than happy to share costs when asked on either safari or non-safari vacations, but don't usually disclose it up front due to all the variables mentioned above.

2 people like this

Africa Travel Resource is a great place to get a price per day per camp... at least it lets you see how costs compare relatively easily. Note that they don't cover every location or camp.

2 people like this

On 8/18/2017 at 8:53 AM, Gilgamesh said:

I have gained a lot of knowledge reading up on various topics including numerous trip reports. Safari's in particular are costly vacations. So, the cost involved IMO is pertinent and useful information. I am curious why no one mentions it - particularly for those fixed priced all-inclusive types where the whole trip was organized by a single company. I know it's impossible to list costs if it was paid piece meal, but most safari's seems to be organized by one company.

When I post my trip report, I intend to mention the cost involved, is that against any forum rules or bad etiquette? I would think that information will be very useful to the readers.  Not bad etiquette at all.  The reason I don't post costs can be summed up by all of the comments above.  Also, if I  have a long relationship with a company, I may get a bit of a break on price.  Not a lot, but a bit.  I would not want to post a price that may not be available for all.  It is not accurate to those reading and it is not fair to the company that offered me a goodwill-repeat client-discount.  But please do include any $$s you wish in your report!

2 people like this