4th Safari with Warrior Trails

Calo

I have experienced exceptional cultural and game viewing experiences in Tanzania with Warrior Trails on 4 separate safaris! Each trip has been unbelievably rewarding in its own way because Warrior Trails is brilliant at what they do…providing “Unforgettable Safaris and Lifelong Memories” (as per their company tagline).

I have had the pleasure of being on safari with 4 different WT guides, each of whom has been remarkable in their game spotting ability, and their knowledge of the local flora, fauna, and cultures. Not only are they highly trained and skilled, but they are fun and engaging. Our guide Frank was absolutely exceptional; he is a treasure!!

Typically, I go on safari in June or July, but Warrior Trails recommended a trip in May last year in order for me to experience the green season, witness the migration in a different location, and see lots of baby animals. I was amazed at how just a few months earlier in the year could make such a marked difference in my experience; I was NOT disappointed. Bonus: May is much less expensive time to be on safari, and there weren’t the crowds of earlier or later in the year. In fact, we had several camps to ourselves!!

Cultural experiences are a hallmark of Warrior Trails. Because the owner of the company is Maasai, the company is able to offer unique, authentic experiences with local Maasai communities. Highlights on each of my trips have included spending a night at a Maasai boma, and participating in traditional Maasai activities including: milking cattle, beading with Maasai women, storytelling around a campfire, visiting a Maasai well, and going on nature walks with Maasai warriors. These cultural interactions are not the contrived experiences of the “tourist bomas” that other safari companies use. If you book your safari with Warrior Trails make sure to include a visit to a Maasai boma in your itinerary.

Camps and lodges used on safari last year: Mt Meru Hotel in Arusha, overnight at Makuyuni Maasai boma, Maramboi Tented Camp, Lake Masek Tented Camp, Ang’ata Serengeti, Ang’ata Ngorongoro, Ngorongoro Farmhouse. Of these, we had the boma, Lake Masek, and the 2 Ang’ata camps to ourselves! Incredible.

Our wildlife and bird viewing were exceptional; as always, I saw and experienced everything I had hoped to see, and more! Next year I hope to include a balloon safari and a trip to Zanzibar in my itinerary. One of these times I'll do a gorilla trek!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Calo.  I knew I recognized your name from way back.  How was the height of the grass in May? 

Hi Atravelynn! Yep, it's me. I haven't been as active on the boards as I was once upon a time, but I keep returning to Africa, and it truly is fun to write about my travels and offer bits of advice based on my experiences.

May was a wonderful month to go to Tanzania. The grass was not tall enough that we couldn't see game, so photo ops were as good as any other month I've been there.  

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe it is you Kathy.  Wonderful that you were able to return to Africa again.  Carl are finally going on our third trip in November to Zambia and Zimbabwe.