Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianS

Hand luggage with South African Airways

9 posts in this topic

I'm going to Botswana in September and will fly from Johannesburg to Maun on South African Airways. Their website states 8kg for hand luggage. My camera bag is within the size restriction but will be overweight. Do they weigh hand luggage and how strict are they?

Thanks for any help or advice.

I've never had them weigh my hand luggage and did that flight JNB- Maun and several other SAA flights as well within South Africa.  My camera bag is also always well overweight. But you never know and I'm always anxious about it!

I'm flying with them in a few weeks to Lusaka, and fingers crossed there will be no problems.

Also no problems so far, hand luggage (also overweight) was never checked.

I believe it is the airport, not the airline that supposedly enforces this. I am going to vic falls on comair in three weeks and have the same issue with camera equipment, however, given that the plane seat map currently looks virtually empty, I think (hope) we'll be fine....

Thanks for the feedback. I hope both janzin and tdgraves have great trips.

1 person likes this

I flew from Cape Town to Skukuza, Mpumbalanga to Livingstone and Kasane to Jo'burg on Airlink and the only airport that bothered about weight was Cape Town.  Even then, you paid a small fee and got on with it.

In case they will want to weight your camera bag, open it and hang one body with heaviest lens on your shoulder. A photo vest can also be very helpful for distributing excessive weight out of the bag :D.

Thanks Tulips and xelas for your advice.

I have never had a problem

the domestic  SA Express  is very keen on avoiding larger cabin bags, on the tarmac they have a skycheck  trolly  with a staff member observing what people are carrying

domestic flights involve a mini bus then climbing up stairs on the tarmac, they don't have air bridges

it is  enforced in  a friendly way, so if your bag is larger this is how it will  be taken

so  come with a calico shopping bag and similar and put your camera,binos ,medication etc

the sycheck trolly will be  loaded with the bags as you get out at the other end