Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plambers

vehicles at rekero and encounter mara

5 posts in this topic

we recently returned from our first family safari-ol lentille, kicheche laikipia and kicheche mara. all had open air land rovers-open on sides and top-and we loved that! my teens stood up more than they sat down and it allowed amazing continuous photos.

unfortuntately for us, but fortunate for them, kicheche is doing well and they did not offer any discounts for what we hope is our 2nd family safari next june/july. so we are now looking at laikipia wilderness camp with a combo of asilia camps in the mara-rekero and encounter mara. i have heard rekero has pop up roofs. is this true? if it is, who can suggest other camps with open vehicles on sides and tops similar to kicheche's?

it is amazing how small things really matter. thanks much.

@plambers - Encounter Mara is a great camp but they do not have pop-top vehicles if that is a requirement.   Here is a photo of their vehicle style:

gallery_47829_1439_165992.jpg

But I would not let vehicle configurations sway you from staying in a Mara conservancy and towards a camp in the main reserve.  

Offbeat Mara camp has pop-top vehicles and they compare well to Encounter Mara.   They also have open sides.   Offbeat vehicles have individual pop-tops that completely open to the sky, over each row of seats.   This even allows you to sit on the roof in the right circumstances and also to see the sky, a Leopard in a tree above, etc.

Here is a photo of my favorite Offbeat Mara vehicle (note the open roof hatches):

gallery_47829_1439_229322.jpg

32669375341_e39bf08a65_b.jpg

32412324230_31531f7752_b.jpg

1 person likes this

offshorebirder, thanks for this. our kicheche vehicle was very similar to offbeats. totally open on sides and top. we loved that. we spent more time with out heads out the top than not! it allowed us to see and photograph everything. i only realized that all vehicles were not the same when we saw a few at the kill. so the asilia tops cannot be removed? i think that is a deal killer for us. thanks 

Is this the type of vehicle you had, @plambers?

I've seen that most of the vehicles in Kenya have roofs and Uganda seems to have pop ups.  Neither of these am I used to where the South African vehicles were totally open.

IMG_8775.JPG

no. it had a roof but you could take the covers off. sorry but i don't know how to post pics. it looked very much like offbeats.