cjt3

Nikon D850 Rumors

22 posts in this topic

I have been planning to get a full frame camera for my February 2018 safari, and earlier in the year had decided on the D810.  I was really tempted to buy a few months ago when they had a great sale going on, but decided to wait as it was rumored that the replacement model would be announced over the summer.  That turned out to be true (sort of), with Nikon announcing the name (D850) but very little else.  To be honest, the D810 has everything I really want in a camera.  In fact, the main change I am hoping for from the D810 to the D850 is to change the CF card to an XQD since my other camera is a D500.  Sure, faster this or better that would be nice but not entirely necessary.

I just saw this article (Nikon D850 Will Be a ‘Baby Nikon D5’, Reports Say) that among other things speculates that the D850 will sell for $1200 more than the D810 (putting it up to around $4000 based on current D810 pricing).  I'm really hoping for the official word from Nikon soon on specs and pricing, as for that price I'd definitely go with the D810.

So a question for D810 owners.  What do you wish your D810 did better?

I also have a D500 and pair it with the D810 for safari.  The D850 is really tempting, although I can't really justify getting an upgrade now--especially at that proposed price. I'm sure it will have to be at least $1000 more than the D810 :(

But things that tempt me are, as you note, the XQD card, which I love for its speed of download on safari; it will definitely have the tilting touchscreen of the D500 (I find myself always trying to review images by touch on the D810...that doesn't work lol); and of course the new sensor will have (hopefully!) better high ISO and increased dynamic range than the D810. More FPS will be a big plus too of course. And last but certainly not least, if it has the same AF system as the D5/D500 that will be fantastic. And it will have Snapbridge...which I really like having on safari for the GPS function (it works!)

It will have improved video but that's not important to me--it may be to you.

BUT the D810 is no slouch in most of those respects. What I really don't need is more megapixels. 36 is plenty for a full-frame and 46 MP just means more storage space, bigger cards, potentially more issues processing unless you have the latest and greatest computer (luckily I upgraded mine last year, but still...)

Things I'd miss on the D850 from my D810--the pop-up flash which I find useful; and Easy ISO which I imagine they will remove as an option, as they did with the D500. I miss that on my D500 a lot (although now I tend to use AutoISO all the time, but I might not if I still had the ability to use Easy ISO.) 

Bottom line, IF I had the $$ I'd probably go for the D850 but at the moment the D810 suits me fine for my purposes--as a 2nd camera to use with the D500 for landscape and with a 2nd lens; and as a non-wildlife travel camera. 

If I were going to have ONLY ONE body that could "do it all" I'd probably buy the D850 as it should have all of the features of the D500 with only slightly less FPS and enough MP to crop for wildlife and birds. 

But honestly if I wanted dual cameras for safari, I'd be more likely to buy a 2nd D500 body. Funny thing, if you read the list of improvements over the D810 that are important to me (above)---other than more MP the D500 covers them all.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, janzin said:

... Easy ISO which I imagine they will remove as an option, as they did with the D500.

I did not know this. The D500 has just become a lot less desirable!

33 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

I did not know this. The D500 has just become a lot less desirable!

Yep, no longer in the Custom menu. Its really maddening, especially since I have it set on my D810 so switching between the two sometimes leads to errors.  Why they removed it is anyone's guess...seems to make no sense. The D500 has a seperate button for ISO but it still means two actions (press and hold button, turn wheel) instead of just turning the wheel. I find this awkward which is why I now just use manual and Auto ISO 95%  of the time.

2 people like this

I was sort of looking for a D500 for birds - as my D800 is a tad short with 500mm ( have 2 x D800)

What MIGHT appeal more - is a D850 - which when shot on DX mode - still gives you sufficient pixels - and I wont compromise loosing one of my D800's 

However - due to the price of new cameras - I decided to stick with what I have for a year or 3 more. But going to D850 instead of a D500 (for me personally) might make more sense - if I wanted to spend the money. 

3 people like this

@janzin, I firmly believe the camera manufacturers are somehow a bit slow to realize the incredible advantage the ability to change ISO from shot to shot brings the digital photographer.

Personally, I would love a third dial dedicated to ISO, but easy-ISO has been a very good substitute for me, and I have it permanently set up on one of my "U"-modes. The other is set to Manual with Auto-ISO, which is the other great use of shot-to-shot ISO adjustability the manufacturers haven't really caught up on. I believe this should be a standard mode.

@Elsa Hoffmann, that makes sense considering how much landscape and portrait photography you do.

I was stunned by the sharpness difference between the XT2 and the D500 seen in the video clip on the thread on mirroless cameras.

2 people like this

Interesting topic ... but way too much $$$$ for my taste (=budget):huh:. And if I would ever win a lottery ticket, D5 + D500 would be my "dream team".

@cjt3, do follow @janzin advice and instead of D850 with all potential start-up problems which are not unheard of when Nikon is releasing new models, do get yourself another D500! For safari for sure the right decision. And for landscapes, with proper glass, it will shine. Remember the days when 10 MB sensors were top of the line? And fantastic images people done with those?!

1 person likes this

Thanks, @xelas (and @janzin), but I definitely want to add a full frame to my inventory.  As much as I love my D500 I wouldn't buy another to have a redundant body that I would only use on safari (I don't think I'd take multiple bodies on any other sort of trip).  I considered the D750, but the D810 (or the D850 presumably) won out for having the same layout as the D500.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, cjt3 said:

I considered the D750, but the D810 (or the D850 presumably) won out for having the same layout as the D500.

Indeed having the same layout helps a lot! And if same batteries can be used, so much better.

1 person likes this

It is beginning to feel as though Nikon (possibly Canon but I don't know enough to comment) are beginning to struggle with updates as there seems to be no major advances in technology at the moment. The D7300 was not significantly better than the D7200 (some would argue that a number of changes were negative) and the rumoured specs of the D850 do not sound enough to justify the considerable expense involved in moving up. I must admit that at the moment I feel I have an awful long way to go before it is my camera rather than the operator that is the limiting factor....

1 person likes this

Well, I have not seen any specs yet, but if it has the AF system from the D5 and D500, that alone is probably reason enough for many.

Not sure if the problem is a reduction in the rate of technology advances, or in the fact that the DSLR market has declined a lot in the last 5 years, thus there is less money for development?

2 people like this

Latest rumor is that the press release is coming out tomorrow (https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/) and indication of a price at $3,300 (see comments section at https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/23/nikon-d850-price-in-us-and-australia-shipping-could-start-earlier.aspx/).

Its official and the price @cjt3 quoted is correct--$3300!! That's really, really bad because now I am really going to have a hard time not buying it. :D

http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/0824_dslr_01.htm

Very impressive specifications and price in comparison to Canon's rather sad recent offerings... 

1 person likes this

I can't believe that I went to bed last night and missed the announcement!  Oh well, I guess that just puts me a little farther down the pre-order list.  I placed my order a few minutes ago, so it should get to me in plenty of time for my safari in February!

2 people like this

I don't think I will pre-order it right now...honestly I am happy enough with the D500/D810 combo for my purposes, and I can't spend any money at the moment--just bought the new Nikon 70-200 2.8 E FL lens so I'm a bit tapped out :)  I'll see how the reviews go (although I'm not really concerned.) But maybe next year....!

1 person likes this

Very understandable.  I would have a hard time justifying the upgrade from D810 to D850 (not that I wouldn't try).  As my first full-frame camera and complement to the D500 though, it was not a hard decision for me.

I suspect a lot of people currently using a D4/D4S and D800/D810 combo could sell both and get the D850.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Looks like the D850 is the body of my dreams. Same sensor and AF system as the D5/D500, a ton of MPs and fast enough FPS.... in an FX body.  A great, flexible camera that's also fantastic for wildlife; who can ask for anything more?

Just put down a deposit for one. Will come in handy for our January trip to the Olare Motorogi and Bwindi.

Edited by KI-NRT
3 people like this

Well, the sensor is definitively not the same as on D5 or on D500 ( and both those bodies are using different sensors). However it really looks like a great camera for nature photographers. Who can ask for anything more?! I am sure many future posts on various photo forums will have many answers/ideas about  what they still are missing:D.

Whoops, my bad. Same AF system and image processor, but - as you said - not the same sensor (D850 has a 45.7MP CMOS sensor.)  Will pair with my 28-300 as my all-purpose lens, and the 24-70 f/2.8 and 80-400 will be my safari glasses. Yeah, I know, I'm a bit short in reach, but birds are not a major priority for me, and worst case I'll be able to get by via cropping, due to the D850's insane resolution.

The D850 might be a great camera according to advertisements and specification.

In a couple of weeks the early users will provide many pictures and real experience.

The D810 can convert more then 50% of the incoming light into bits and bytes.

The back-lit sensor of the D850 is a big step in technology.

But, there is not much room for dramatic improvements any more.

The overall package of the D850 is very interesting.

However, I am still happy with my D810/D500/D4 setup with about 50k / 50k / 140k clicks.

I can use the cameras for about two additional years.

Therefore, I try to resist to buy the D850.