Namibia october och november?

Djungel

I am trying to decide witch month is best för Namibia and primary Etosha. I am thinking about better wildlifephoto, fewer tourist, nicer wheater and so on. What do you prefer?

What is better in november and what is worse? Or is it more or less the same?

Patrik/planning one month in Namibia next year.

Peter Connan

Welcome Djungel

I think your requirements are contradictory. For example, if you want to see fewer tourists, you want to go during the hottest months.

But, be aware that Namibia can get really hot in summer, and November is definately summer. But I doubt there will be much difference between October and November in any respect.

I just love April/May for its crispy blue sky and golden grass and wildlife, while not that many near the waterholes, is still there to get nice photo opportunities. I have not experienced crowds.

But you are asking between October and November and I woulg go in October. 

Edited by xelas

11 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Welcome Djungel

I think your requirements are contradictory. For example, if you want to see fewer tourists, you want to go during the hottest months.

But, be aware that Namibia can get really hot in summer, and November is definately summer. But I doubt there will be much difference between October and November in any respect.

Yes it,s contradictory but I cant go before 10 oktober so I try to choose the best weeks. The rain starts in November but I think its very little and not every year so thats not the bigest problem. If its not moore crowded in oktober than in december maybee I choose that month.

Peter Connan

December will be more crowded. You should probably try to avoid South African school holidays because, apart from truck-tours most visitors to Etosha are South African self-drivers. So December is probably the worst of the three.

I know most people like to avoid rain, but in a dry place like Etosha, the first good rains bring out an amazing display of life, and to my mind is the best time to go, but I think November will probably be too early, unless luck is very much on your side.

Dave Williams

The rain didn't arrive until we did this year. February. 

We experienced very heavy rain, flooded roads and grey skies for quite a lot of the time we were there in Etosha. The light wasn't good for photography much of the time, we didn't have any dramatic thunder storms and because of the cloud cover no stars at night.

Not typical of the month I was told but nowadays what is typical? With climate change worldwide it's a gamble where the weather is concerned.

I think I'm going to choose May if and when we return. As Xelas says, nice and green and hopefully the rains have been and gone and animals are returning to the waterholes.

• 2 weeks later...

From November 1st is generally applied the new price list. Therefore all prices (lodges, activities, exvursions) increase by 10/15 %

Going in october you avoid the increase keeping, more or less, same weather/crowd/picture conditions

• 1 month later...

Having just returned from Etosha I would say that there is very little difference in the temperature between the two. Expect it to be hot. You do risk early rain in November so on balance I would say the earlier you go the better