Galana

Mfuwe's Year.

109 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, TonyQ said:

I promise not to sue you:)

Phew! That's relief :lol:@TonyQ I need my pension for trips. I would count Golden Pheasant if I ever saw one as there are four populations around Great Britain. The nearest to you is North Wales/Anglesey.

I am comfortable with the local Peafowl. They are well spread and have been here for 40 ears plus.

So that is #179 thanks.

Speaking of Feral Pigeons.......

1-DSCN3870.JPG.1121614c3baaa7fcc58002f28500dd44.JPG

1-DSCN3871.JPG.6f2b01b69be65ca53132c55dd7f12e54.JPG

180. Feral Pigeon on a neighbour's roof. He feeds the bloomin things even though it is against the law.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

So, right or wrong, you will be in company.

@Peter Connan I 'ticked' Common Mynah when in J'burg. Why not? It is on the list. As @TonyQ says I am also coming to the opinion that if living wild and breeding it is within the rules. Now we have to define 'breeding' so maybe substitute ' a sustainable population'?

Thank you both for your thoughts.

2 people like this

@Galana

I would count Golden Pheasant if I saw it in one of those populations. The one that I saw had escaped from a cage and was living in woodland about 200 yards from its previous home - so an escapee rather than an established population.

@Peter Connan For the record,the Starlings are a native species, they have been introduced in to North America and apparently number millions now.

I don't thing there are any Golden Pheasants in Anglesey anymore either @Galana but as for what counts in the Big Year I guess it's entirely a matter for each of us us to decide. The way my list is going I might need to head off to the zoo and in actual fact when you think about it it's no more cheating than booking a holiday somewhere foreign where you know that you can add umpteen common species. ( Thought I'd start the day with a bit of controversy!)

My trip down to the south east of England is so far been totally unrewarding and despite seeing many Ring-necked Parakeets it was always without a camera. My big chance yesterday was ruined by rainfall. Today, the sun is out so hopefully I might get something at least. We'll see. Maybe a Feral Pigeon....they all count!

4 people like this

Thanks for the explanation @Dave Williams.

Something to think about but not sure i agree, but certainly the guys who have more opportunities to travel tend to do better than those who don't.

@Peter Connan  Is that not the object of a "Big Year?"  I had never heard the phrase until I watched that excellent film of the same name.

9 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

booking a holiday somewhere foreign where you know that you can add umpteen common species. ( Thought I'd start the day with a bit of controversy!)

Sounds a good plan but as you know in any sport it is said to be not the winning but the taking part that counts.:o

3 hours ago, Galana said:

@Peter Connan  Is that not the object of a "Big Year?"  I had never heard the phrase until I watched that excellent film of the same name.

Sounds a good plan but as you know in any sport it is said to be not the winning but the taking part that counts.:o

I did say I'd start the day with a bit of controversy. Caught you at the first cast @Galana .... there again you probably saw right through that!!!!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

there again you probably saw right through that!!!!

Yup! You can't beat good optics.:lol:

Just been for a walk past the local Owl Centre, there are at least 6 different species sat out in the open and just feet away from the road. Tempting !!

1 person likes this