Gilgamesh

Silly questions...can there be snakes/critters in the room and tent

39 posts in this topic

Had a tree rat racing around our chalet most of the night in Grootkolk, Kgalagadi, joined a some point by a large gecko. The tree rat was very cute but he was just to quick to photograph. Contented ourselves with a picture of his nest in the tree adjoining the chalet the next day. Just happened to zoom in on the picture on our return home and there he was, staring back at us.  

4 people like this

On 8/2/2017 at 9:24 PM, madaboutcheetah said:

I could not even go to my room at Mara Plains as a Lioness had given birth under my deck and the mangers deemed it unsafe for human movement and I stayed at Mara Toto next door in 2014.

Now that is a critter I would welcome!

On 8/2/2017 at 10:29 PM, COSMIC RHINO said:

you  might get visitors 

don't get drastic  , I have been told about someone who felt  something in the bed ,bashed it and ended up with a wet bed

they had attacked the hot water bottle

I have heard about that at several lodgings.  How embarrassing.  But then I had a patch on my trousers fall off in the tent and I thought it was a scorpion.  I screamed.

Usually you will be provided with insect spray in your room.  Be sure your can has an adequate supply to help your allay your wife's fears.  The staff will assist you with insects, wasps, bats, or other.  I've had them in to help set all of these free when my efforts proved fruitless.  You will likely get mosquito nets to help put a barrier between you and the creepy crawlies at night.  But if insects are a concern, do mention it upon arrival so your room can receive an extra check by the staff when they are in.  The camps and lodges are very accommodating, whatever the request, and this is likely a common one.

Have a great time and check those boots.

@Geoff - Wasn't there a Leopard inside the tent one time at the old Zibalianja?  I vaguely remember the story as told to me by John.

1 minute ago, madaboutcheetah said:

@Geoff - Wasn't there a Leopard inside the tent one time at the old Zibalianja?  I vaguely remember the story as told to me by John.

@madaboutcheetah  It was actually at Selinda (b4 it was renovated) whilst I was staying at Zib. A guest had left the door to the ensuite bathroom open.  

A staff member went to make the bed and the leopard was having a snooze on it. 

8 people like this

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

@madaboutcheetah  It was actually at Selinda (b4 it was renovated) whilst I was staying at Zib. A guest had left the door to the ensuite bathroom open.  

a very typical cat - take the fluffiest spot for a snooze.

4 people like this

it is interesting to note that  the mass market popular insect spray in Sth Africa is called Doom

I was once in a camp in Sth Africa  when some people asked the staff to remove a snake from the roof of the shower

That I can fully understand 😮

One night in Botswana after dinner we brought some dessert back to our tent. We did not eat all of it, left it on a low table and started to get ready for bed.  I looked over and a small mouse was nibbling  away.  I flushed the rest of it down the toilet.  Do not know where the mouse went but  it must have shared the tent with us.

1 person likes this

Its not only in Africa...I've actually never had a problem in Africa but once in the Amazon there was a large tarantula in our shower. I didn't take a shower the entire time we were there! (Luckily only about three days...)

2 people like this

On 8/2/2017 at 7:06 AM, michael-ibk said:

Preprare for stuff like Skinks or Geckos, though - they are often inside (but totally harmless).

On our day, at our first camp, a skink got inside the tent of my friend and her daughter. He seemed to be familiar with the way in and out. :D  

On 8/17/2017 at 9:09 PM, Geoff said:

I hope they called everyone over for the leopard sighting!! :D

1 hour ago, AmyT said:

I hope they called everyone over for the leopard sighting!! :D

@AmyT When the door to the tent was opened the leopard woke, raced out of the tent, jumped the bathroom fence and disappeared through camp.

The staff member was the partner of the walking safari guide and she was telling me about it at dinner when I was doing a walking safari a few days later.

1 person likes this

At Kwara one of the cleaning ladies forgot to zip the tent.

On returning to camp after a game drive I saw Baboons running into the tent from one end and out the other.

Probably 30 Baboons in total. Only damage was some poop on the bed and some glasses and jars thrown on the floor.

In Namibia I had a Genet inside the room scurrying around for a while.

In Malaysia I have had a Gecko fall into one of the dishes on the dinner table:D

PS today at 6 PM we had a Bat flying around in the living room. It happens occasionnaly but typically not that early in the day. It does not get dark until 9 PM.

1 person likes this