Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jochen

Can self drivers enter Etosha west gate these days?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

When I was last there it was not allowed for self-drivers to enter Etosha west gate. Everyone had to enter through the south or east gate. If I recall correctly, it was the lodges with concessions in the western sector that were responsible for this rule. To make that side of the park more exclusive so to speak. To have less day-tourists driving that side. I also recall that because of that rule, some lodges outside that gate were struggling.

Is this still the case?

Thanks,

J.

Nothing to stop you entering or visiting the west end of the park now but it's still very quiet compared to the eastern end of the park, or it was in January anyway. Dolomite camp had few self drivers but several larger groups staying there on the two nights we stayed. Most were just there for one night too so they didn't really get to benefit the western end either, just passing through.

1 person likes this

We travelled this way in May 2016. We stayed at Hobatere for a few nights before driving through Etosha, to Okaukeujo. There were not many people staying at Hobatere, fewer than we remember from a previous visit in 2006, but that was in October.  We were not self driving that trip, but I remember our guide telling us that we were able to drive through the western gate, because we stayed at Hobatere.

1 person likes this

Galton Gate was opened already in 2014! New Olifantsrus camping is adding new options to overnight in that very nice area. It was not quiet in May (wildlife related).

1 person likes this

When I said  it was quiet in January, I should have said people wise but there weren't that many animals either compared to the middle of the park where there were very big herds of Springbok and Zebra in particularly. Did find a few things in the west that we didn't anywhere else though, particularly bird species.

1 person likes this

Thanks all!

Oh my word! I didn't realise how long it has been since I've been in Namibia. :blink:

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Jochen said:

Thanks all!

Oh my word! I didn't realise how long it has been since I've been in Namibia. :blink:

Already ime to return, @Jochen ;)!