pault

Thank you @TonyQ 

And apologies for the poor quality of the writing in the last post ... in every sense. It was really a rush job and it is more than ironic that the reason it is so rushed is that I was busy running a training course today and had much less time than expected at lunch  The irony? The topic was written communication skills for new managers. Ha! 

I think I'll have to add one more post just so there isn't such a pathetic ending! :huh:

Such a shame this has come to an end.  I have really enjoyed reading along, the stories so amusing and well told and the pictures as always are all stunning.

Pault, wonderful report and gorgeous pictures...thanks for the wonderful entertainment, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I too am sad that your TR has come to an end, @pault  That is an unfortunate end but what a sighting in NNP!

I follow a group of Supporters of Nairobi National Park on Facebook and they're routinely posting photos of idiots like the one you describe, usually locals who think they are immune to any sort of attack by wildlife.  I don't get it.

Thank you for sharing your stories and most excellent photos!

I just finished Bibi and the genet, or perhaps the leopard and then Bibi and the sandals.  I'm just glad no Bibis were hurt in the making of.  Striped hyena!  Yay!  That crowned crane would make a perfect photo book cover.

It's those morning exercises on the airstrip that are her secret.  And who can argue with success!?

Your star shot looks great.  It was worth all the drinks to get it.  Love your myth busters, celebrity name dropping in all.

You spotted a zorilla and a tiny leopard cub!  You've earned your Junior Ranger status for sure.

Looking forward to the rest of your adventures!

Edited by Atravelynn

Enjoyed the shocking secret Bibi tale.  Like mother, like son!  The most shocking part is that Bibi was likely not shocked at all. We hit a bird once on landing in a small plane, but it hit the windshield.  Certainly got my attention.  Wonderful sightings big and small.  You did a great job on the lion kill in the rain. 

Thanks for the primer on rutting, in the plains and the restaurant.  Lion kill in NBO Nat Park is more than you could ever hope for.  Hope the lion population there can thrive. Antics like that guy out of his car might threaten the poor cats cuz if they attacked him they'd probably be killed.  Your BFF silhouette is amazing, like your whole trip!

Edited by Atravelynn

You noticed my spots @Atravelynn Indeed I am proud, as with the instant ID of the Oribi to come. Junior Ranger sounds like something awarded to someone who goes on safari with his Mum... Oh!!!  

And like mother like son is a scary comment, except that I hear a chorus of "you should be so lucky!"

2 hours ago, pault said:

You noticed my spots @Atravelynn Indeed I am proud, as with the instant ID of the Oribi to come. Junior Ranger sounds like something awarded to someone who goes on safari with his Mum... Oh!!!  

And if you are Junior Ranger, what does that make Bibi?

And like mother like son is a scary comment, except that I hear a chorus of "you should be so lucky!"

Has Bibi seen this or perhaps she was the Editor in Chief!?

@pault

Just finished up, and what a delightful report in every way, from the engaging narrative to the nonstop beautiful photos. So glad you got your wildebeest crossing shot, but there are so many others that are also  memorable "keepers."  Thanks for sharing this with us. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:21 AM, Atravelynn said:

Has Bibi seen this or perhaps she was the Editor in Chief!?

Bibi is rarely browsing the internet nowadays. I'd have to turn it into a pdf and send it to her i trhink - and that would be asking for trouble, as hte feeling would be I created for her. I told her a couple of the stories from after she left though. Best to stick with the picture biook I think.

You can't go wrong with a picture book, especially with your fine photos!  Where to next?

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent narrative, great photography, but what else to be expected?! Thanks, @pault, and looking forward to read the next one soon.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Atravelynn said:

You can't go wrong with a picture book, especially with your fine photos!  Where to next?

Zakouma, Simiens plus ?? (still deciding but Ethiopia somewhere)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know whether it's because I've traveled with my mom before (in about the same age range), and am planning on doing so again, but this trip was just a tour de force for me -- I can't stop thinking about it! Was Bibi in a room wearing her underwear with a genet or a leopard? (There's something rather elegant about it either way, I think, in a bizarre sense.) How would I have reacted to the ups and downs of the first part of the trip -- not to mention the roads? And how can those rutting wildebeest be so serious-looking and so silly all at once?

i think the thing about this trip report is how secure I felt reading it -- your narrative was masterful and led me through the trip feeling that I was learning and experiencing and exploring each moment with you. And you let us see so much of the trip -- the small things you noticed, and the people, and feeling sad about seeing your mom go even though she wasn't always the easiest -- and your pictures as well feel very open and like an invitation into your viewpoint. (And of course are also excellent pictures. I wish I knew more about your panning trick.) 

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks, and to say how much this is sticking with me. I might send this on to my mom, come to think of it -- maybe she'll enjoy seeing another spunky lady out on safari, watching a hyena knaw into his kill and enjoying the sighting and not being squeamish about it at all, thank you very much.

@hannahcat Your comment is very kind and very thoughtful. I am very happy you see it that way. Yes, send it to your Mum. All welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 0:01 AM, pault said:

I still don’t think so. I really don’t, but then when Mum saw Fig the leopard in Olare Motorogi she did say “That’s not a big leopard. That genet was nearly as big as that.”

I had to come back to re-read this story.  :)  Was it genet or leopard??  Will we ever know??  

@pault Fantastic report!! Given what you said at the beginning of the report, and knowing what you know now of the unrest in the area, would you go back to Samburu? 

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love this entire TR!  Extraordinary photos and loved your descriptions and narrative!

can't wait to get to Kenya!  A long wait till June 2019..... thanks so much Paul! So happy you had an amazing trip all 3 of you!  Will follow your exploits ....

• 7 months later...

i-kf56Rrs-XL.jpg

I'm super late to this @pault but this is a classic! Reminds me so much of my wife's misadventures at Karisia but you are much braver than I to post these.

@dlo Mum is a few thousand miles away. And it is a classic, which is why it had to be posted. The photos of my wife mounting the flighty racing camel would have been brave - brave as in  foolish! :D

• 1 month later...
gatoratlarge

WOW!  What a safari!  Photos are stunning and the sightings extraordinary!  That settles it, I'm going with you and Nam Wan from now on! :D