Scotland: Mainly Mull – Puffins, Predator birds… and some mammals

TonyQ

Dave Williams

Inspiring to say the least. All on our doorstep too, well almost. It would take as long for me to get to the islands on the west coast as probably anywhere else in Europe I suppose.

Next year I promise myself will be the year it happens.... if I can fit it in!

The Red Kite shots are superb. I have been to Gigrin Farm a few times but the biggest problem there is getting a clear shot because there are too many Kites and they get in each others way for clear shots..

Edited by Dave Williams

37 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

In the meantime I hope @Chakra and @xelas post trip reports for me to enjoy!

@TonyQ thanks a ton for this timely trip report, as only 5 more days are separating us (Zvezda and me) from Scotland and Mull. Plenty of excellent photos and great ideas for birding.

Of course there will be a trip report from both of us, I dare to promise it also in @Chakra name. 

kittykat23uk

Melanism is linked to a transcription mutation of the ASIP Gene in rabbits and is a recessive trait if I have read this article correctly : http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0888754309002559

In smaller populations  such as those isolated on islands, mutations like this will be more common I believe. 

Albino rabbits are also common  in some areas. 

michael-ibk

Thanks, Tony, a simply beautiful report with tons of fantastic shots. I only ever visited Scotland in those dark pre-wildlife days of my uneducated youth (houseboating with a lot of Whisky then), and really have to rectify that - the Puffins alone would be a good reason for me to go up North again, but I´m really fascinated with the huge diversity you saw on top of that. Brilliant stuff.

Towlersonsafari

Really enjoyed your report @TonyQ  Jane and I had our honeymoon on Mull nearly 20 years ago and it remains one of our favourite places .Your report really captures it's charm 

@TonyQ

I also really enjoyed this report - lots of incentive to get up there.

"We found it intersting to learn that the name "Wheatear" has nothing to do with "Wheat" and nothing to do with "Ears".  It used to be called the "whitearse" beacause of the white patch on the rump. Someone must have thought that the current name was a bit more refined."

Fascinating fact.  I always wondered about the name.

Love the highland cattle.  Not many of those here on this site.

Your many flying birds and fleeing birds are outstanding shots. 

This report has made Scotland an even more attractive destination.  Just count up how many posters are vowing to visit.  Delightful report to read! You certainly Scored in Scotland!

Edited by Atravelynn

@Dave Williams Thank you - it does take a while to get to Mull, but it is worth it

@xelas thank you

@kittykat23uk thank you for information on rabbits - I know you would know about this sort of thing!

@michael-ibk Worth a visit now you are into birds and other wildlife. You can still enjoy the whisky - Single Malts are well worth exploring. The Puffins are great - pick the time when you can guarantee seeing them.

@Towlersonsafari thank you for your supportive comments and your advice

@Zim Girl thank you - not so far from Lancashire!

@Atravelynn thank you. The Highland Cattle are amazing animals - and very popular with tourists!

@TonyQ I am shamefully late - but what an excellent report and superb photos. Like many others I am inspired to plan a return to Scotland. I enjoyed your photos of the kites and buzzards - we get both around us at home (just south of you on the Warwick/Oxford border) but usually they keep their distance.

• 1 month later...

Words fail me.

Thank you for all the overloads, and all the other photos too!