Game Warden

Are your photos hosted on Photobucket? Images not displaying?

18 posts in this topic

I read last night that Photobucket are no longer supporting 3rd party embedding of images, (unless one upgrades their account). I saw complaints, (not on Safaritalk) that images in blogs and forums were no longer displaying. A quick google search brought up this article from www.bbc.com:

Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'

Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after a photo-sharing service changed its terms.

Ebay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.

The problem has been caused by Photobucket introducing a charge for allowing images hosted on its platform to be embedded into third-party sites.

To read the full article click here.

So if you are a Photobucket user and notice that your images no longer display on Safaritalk, then it is not a fault or glitch with Safaritalk but it caused by Photobucket itself.

How many of you use Photobucket and have you been affected by the change?

Matt

Thankfully I use Flickr instead of Photobucket.     I hope this ill-advised change on Photobucket's part does not remove lots of photos from Safaritalk trip reports!

I predict this move will cost Photobucket a lot of users.

I'm curious.

I've seen a few members posting photos that are linked from Flickr.

What is the advantage of this versus uploading your photo directly to Safaritalk?

1 person likes this

@Soukous when I joined Safaritalk, I already had a Flikr account and knew how to use it so that was one advantage for me. Also, sometimes I upload photos to Flickr and may want to share them with friends who are not on ST and don't necessarily want to take the time to read an entire trip report with others' comments but would just like to browse or glance at the photos - so I can also give them the link to a Flickr album to peruse. Thus, I only have to upload them to one place to be able to use the photos in two different ways.

Posted (edited)

@Soukous I would say much the same as @SafariChick I would assume that quite few members who are Flickr users already had their Flickr account when they joined ST, from the point of view of posting photos in a trip report if you are already on Flickr there’s really no advantage in uploading them to ST instead, it's just as easy either way.

For me I like the fact that having my photos on Flickr means that they are seen by many more people than just the members of and visitors to ST who happen to read my reports. I joined Flickr in order to put my photos of Gabon online because there were very few photos and very little information about Gabon on the web and I wanted people to see my photos. Likewise with Zakouma although I did upload photos of my first trip to both ST and Flickr I’m not quite sure why I did that, now I just upload all new photos I want online to Flickr but occasionally I just attach photos to ST posts. I know that many more people will see my photos if I upload them to Flickr and then post them to ST from there, that there are lots of people who haven’t discovered ST or are not likely to. In general on ST people will see my photos when they read my reports and other posts but probably not otherwise, I don’t think many people spend time going through members’ galleries looking at each photo. Or that’s my impression I have just had a look at my galleries here and clicked on a few photos at random and more than I’d expected have been viewed somewhere between 30-50 times but most I would think have only been viewed once or a couple of times. Whereas on Flickr most of my photos have been viewed hundreds of times, many over a thousand times and few several thousand times, of course to achieve this you can’t just upload photos and walk away, you have to add your photos to Flickr groups to get them seen by more people. This is rather time consuming  but I was happy to do this with my Zakouma shots and in the process ,you do if you take the time get to see lots of amazing photos taken by other people. If you put your photos in lots of groups then you gain lots of followers who will see anything new you’ve uploaded whenever they check in to Flickr, if you don’t use groups and just occasionally send a link to your albums to friends and family you photos probably won’t get viewed any more than they typically do on ST and likely won’t be seen by hardly anyone. I know that some other ST members use Flickr groups and some don’t at all, there’s only an advantage in getting your photos seen by more people than if they were just on ST, if you play the game and share them widely in Flickr groups. If you don’t care how many people view your photos then it doesn’t matter where you upload them. I wanted to put my Zakouma and Gabon photos in to groups dedicated to Africa and safaris or just wildlife, so that other Flickr users who've been on safari but aren't members of ST would see them and people who are just keen on wildlife, I haven't put all of my photos in groups. I also have a few photos on Tripadvisor and get the occasional email thumbs up message that shows that the photos get some views.

Also I have photos that I want to put online but don’t really want to upload to ST because they’re not photos that I’m going to post on ST, the overwhelming majority of my photos are of wildlife and wild landscapes and places I’ve been on my travels, which wouldn’t be out of place on ST. I have quite a lot of photos on Flickr taken at the WOMAD music festival for example and while I did upload quite a few shots of African performers to ST at a time when I couldn’t upload them to Flickr I did so because I wanted to post the photos on ST, but I felt it wasn’t appropriate to upload more than that and certainly not photos I had no intention of posting. I can imagine that other keen photographers may take plenty of shots of subjects that they’re happy to share online but wouldn’t want to upload to ST because they’re not relevant to ST. Or of course they’re shots of friends and family that they just want to share with friends and family. The point really is that if you have Flickr account already then you don’t need to upload photos to ST or any other site.

If you take videos then you need to upload these to YouTube or Vimeo or maybe another video site I haven’t heard of, because although you can upload videos to Flickr you can’t embed them on ST from Flickr it doesn’t work.

One other reason I guess some people might be happier uploading to Flickr I have to say is that if you upload to ST you can only delete your photos on request, I understand why this is the case and don’t object to it Not being able to delete photos yourself doesn’t mean that you can’t still have your photos deleted if you want to, it just means you can’t do it yourself in the heat of the moment because you got really upset at someone’s post. However I can see why some people might not be entirely happy with this and might feel that this means they haven’t got full control of their photos.

As to the original question when I first joined Flickr with a free account they would only display 200 photos if you uploaded more your existing photos would disappear from view, it didn’t take me long to reach 200.  At the time I joined ST storage was limited so when I had a whole lot of photos I wanted to post and didn’t want to or couldn’t upload them to Flickr I decided to try Photobucket. Having done so I decided I preferred Flickr, so when Flickr started offering 1TB for free I completely abandoned Photobucket and now just upload to Flickr. I don’t think I have even visited the Photobucket website for a few years but knowing that the photos I’d uploaded contained shots of hippos in Katavi I checked the Show us your Hippos thread and for now at least they are still there. I’m quite surprised about this as I might have thought that they might close accounts if they’ve been inactive for more than a certain period of time but obviously they don’t do that, even though I don’t seem to be getting emails from them anymore as I used to.

Edited by inyathi

On 7/6/2017 at 10:15 AM, Soukous said:

I'm curious.

I've seen a few members posting photos that are linked from Flickr.

What is the advantage of this versus uploading your photo directly to Safaritalk?

Control of copyrighted material.

11 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

Control of copyrighted material.

By that you mean Flickr offers protection that ST doesn't.

You still need to make sure you set up your Flickr account correctly to stop photos being stolen . Many users don't realise that including some ST Flickr members.

34324058603_2b0025e743_b.jpgChange your settings if you haven't already! by Dave Williams, on Flickr

1 person likes this

@Dave Williams I changed my settings so that only I could download images ages ago I can't remember when, but looking at my settings I see that I had "Allow others to share your stuff" set to yes and have just changed this to no. I'm not sure if that is important or actually if any of these settings really matter. Not allowing downloads doesn't actually stop people who want to steal your photos from doing so, if I click on one of your photos and then click download and view all sizes that will give me the largest size, at the size you've uploaded this will fill my screen I then just press the print screen button on my keyboard and I've stolen the image. This copies the whole screen but if I then open Photoshop select New and then Image from Clipboard the screen grab  then appears and I can then crop it down to just your photo.You may already be aware of this, the only way you can really avoid having your photos stolen it seems to me is to put a huge watermark across the middle of them, which I'm not willing to do. I've never quite seen the point of having a small watermark at the bottom that can be fairly easily painted over with Photoshop. I decided when I first joined Flickr that I would only upload very small photos so they wouldn't be worth stealing but since then I've gradually increased the size as I decided that my photos were just too small, now I reduce all my photos to 900 x 600 and with panoramic shots I set the height to 600. This won't stop people stealing my shots if they want to put them on their website as has happened, but I guess it should mean they're not so much use if someone wanted to print them, probably I would be better to have them slightly smaller but I like them this size. Generally I work on the principal of safety in numbers based on the fact that I'm not the greatest photographer, so I tend to think why steal my photos when there are so many other photos to chose from that are just as good or much better than mine. It's when I've uploaded a photo of something rare on unusual that I worry a bit that it might be more likely to be stolen. I do often wonder if by uploading so many photos whether I am just giving my photos away especially when I see some of the very ordinary photos being offered for sale by photo libraries.  

Note @everyone: if members want, I can run a setting which puts a Safaritalk watermark on the album images here on ST: I haven't used it in the past but if you concur I can set it up from now.

Matt

Personally I wouldn't want a watermark across the image and if I'm honest I am happy to let anyone use my images free of charge if they ask first and they are not for commercial gain.

The safest way not to have your work stolen is not to share it in the first place but I suspect that most of us like the kudos gained from someone saying nice image etc. I must admit though here on ST ticking the like button can get tedious especially if you feel obliged to reciprocate someone having ticked something of yours.It slows down the pleasure of scrolling down through the latest uploads but I guess it's reassuring to know someone is reading or looking at your posts.

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

By that you mean Flickr offers protection that ST doesn't.

You still need to make sure you set up your Flickr account correctly to stop photos being stolen . Many users don't realise that including some ST Flickr members.

34324058603_2b0025e743_b.jpgChange your settings if you haven't already! by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@Dave Williams - I was meaning things like the ability to remove photos, replace them with updated (watermarked) versions, have granular permission settings, etc.   With Flickr, the photos are under my control - once posted to Safaritalk, options are more limited.  This is not a criticism of Safaritalk, and I do have some photo galleries uploaded to ST...

Let's not forget, Safaritalk isn't really a stand alone photo hosting website, it's just an add on feature of the forums. So it's not a powerful software suite, just something basic which I added to the package when I set Safaritalk up, (although at a cost.) Therefore it can't compete with any of the above mentioned websites. Really it's just for members to add images to embed into their trip reports. But I think, as far as I'm aware it does allow for 3rd party embedding into other sites. 

And in the past we did discuss about members being able to delete their own images, but if it's such a big deal, I'll change the settings. Also I'll go through everything in admin to see what can be done to make it better for you, the end users. I've also always allowed members to have private albums, which means many images are not visible to other members, and perhaps are never even used in trip reports etc, but do take up a huge wadge of ST server space... perhaps I should change that so albums can't be private so everyone can enjoy the images?

Matt

@Game Warden 

Thinking about what I said earlier about photos not being viewed much on ST that wasn’t in anyway a criticism of ST I wouldn’t to want to use ST as a photosharing site, while I hope that having my photos on Flickr will mean that more people will see them, I’ve no doubt that people reading my reports and other people’s reports has far more influence. In the case of Flickr my hope with my Zakouma photos is really just that some of the people who see them will want to find out more about this park that they’d not heard of and will then Google Zakouma and end up on the African Parks website or even here reading mine and other Zakouma reports. That’s why started really sharing my photos widely on Flickr but I have to admit I also do it because I enjoy it, so I can’t claim that I do it entirely for reasons of altruism on behalf of Zakouma or some of the other wild places I've been.

Safaritalk isn’t a really photosharing website but then Flickr is a lousy forum, on Flickr when you click on groups it says the following

Flickr groups are a great way to share photos, post comments, and hold discussions around a common theme.

The reality is that people share photos and often post comments but that’s it, the forum aspect doesn’t really work, many groups have had no discussions at all and those that have the last posts are often months or years old. If someone for example joins a safari related Flickr group and asks a question about where to go in Kenya or what the best lens to use on safari is, the likelihood in my experience is that they won’t get an answer.

Purely as a means of allowing people to post photos in their reports I think ST galleries are fine as they are, the great thing about ST is having photos in trip reports. For those members who have never shared photos online before and have newly joined and want to produce their first trip report it makes sense to upload to ST, I don’t think the galleries really need to be for anything other than just hosting photos to put in reports and other posts. There’s no need for ST to be more like a photosharing website, as long as it's really easy for people to post photos into reports that's all that matters.

1 person likes this

@Game WardenI've always thought the point of the galleries was so that nobody had an excuse not to post some photos with their trip report. I guess a lot of people don't use online photo storage other than a bit of Cloud storage.

i also think privacy is important to some people. I am not quite sure what the point of a private gallery on a public forum might be - surely there are much better ways of limited sharing - but I suspect if you play with anything labeled private someone will get upset. So unless it is a lot of space and a significant expense I wouldn't change things and alienate someone who does see a point to it for no reason.

2 people like this

Am I correct to assume that Flickr is a Yahoo product and that to use Flickr you must have a Yahoo account?

@Soukous Yes Flickr is Yahoo, when I joined I must have created a Yahoo account but just in the process of joining Flickr, if you go to the Flickr website and click sign up, when you then set up your account you are creating a Yahoo account, however I don't use Yahoo for anything else. Out of curiosity I've just signed into my Yahoo account (fortunately my PC remembered the password), my Yahoo Mail is exactly the same as my Flickr Mail it's full of all the same messages and notifications that I have already read while on Flickr, as I already have my own email I don't need to use it for anything other than to send and receive messages on Flickr. The fact that I have this Yahoo account as well as my Flickr account is of no benefit to me as far as I can see.

1 person likes this

On 09/07/2017 at 9:57 PM, Game Warden said:

Let's not forget, Safaritalk isn't really a stand alone photo hosting website, it's just an add on feature of the forums. So it's not a powerful software suite, just something basic which I added to the package when I set Safaritalk up, (although at a cost.) Therefore it can't compete with any of the above mentioned websites. Really it's just for members to add images to embed into their trip reports. But I think, as far as I'm aware it does allow for 3rd party embedding into other sites. 

And in the past we did discuss about members being able to delete their own images, but if it's such a big deal, I'll change the settings. Also I'll go through everything in admin to see what can be done to make it better for you, the end users. I've also always allowed members to have private albums, which means many images are not visible to other members, and perhaps are never even used in trip reports etc, but do take up a huge wadge of ST server space... perhaps I should change that so albums can't be private so everyone can enjoy the images?

Matt

I guess you had better enable members to delete their images before you make private galleries public.... just in case!

One of the features that Flickr used to allow but no longer does is that you could hide images on your Flickr site but post them in a Blog. The advantage being you could upload a whole album and then select pictures as you went along without giving your Blog followers an insight as to what was coming next. That way it keeps the interest up. You could change everything to public viewing later if you wanted to.

I must admit though, what Photobucket has recently done could easily happen at Flickr which then means that all my images would disappear too. Of course the other hazard is that the ST website could end and take all the reports down with it ( not that I'm suggesting it will of course but it has happened to me on another site ) which is why I have my own Blog site with Google as extra insurance (and that too of course could change.)

1 person likes this

@inyathi, @Soukous I've just created a Flickr site to hold my images now that google have dumped Picasaweb - I didn't have to create a Yahoo account and can use my gmail address to access it

2 people like this