Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JolantaHess

Nature and culture in Sri Lanka early 2018

5 posts in this topic

I am in the midst of planning a trip to Sri Lanka where we want to do a combination of cultural triangle (booked in Dambulla), tea country (not yet booked), literary festival in Galle (booked) and safari, most probably Yala and Udawalawe.  It seems that Sri Lanka has been "discovered" by tourists and although my husband and I are going in January into February 2018 a number of places that I have targeted are already booked up with only the exorbitantly priced suites available.  Since we need a king size or twin beds when we travel and aircon in lowlands it seems that I have my work cut out for me since I am the head planner in the family.  I have settled on a relatively modest place place called The Coconut Garden in Tissamaharama or alternatively Richards Cabanas as a base for Yala and Udawalawe where I hope that the guide used by Xelas can join us.  Richards Cabanas must be experiencing problems with their website etc.since emails sent to them bounce back to me.  After animal/bird watching safari perhaps Tangalle or Mrissa for a few days of R&R.  I rather like the idea of whale watching in Mrissa and maybe seeing turtles in Rekawa beach.  I would be grateful for any recommendations for Mrissa or Tangalle accommodation.and whether anyone's experience with whale watching and turtles.  Thank you for any assistance.

Jolanta, not many STMembers have been to Sri Lanka. I remember @PeterHG has been there so he might add some of his knowledge. Otherwise, Erik, a DE on Tripavisor Sri Lanka forum is very knowledgeable, do ask also there. 

I have been to SL several times and have written blogs about the trips.

http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk

It's a fabulous venue for a trip, you should love it. Our last trip was a mixture of trains and taxis which worked out incredibly well and better than a car and driver in many ways.

Our accommodation was excellent value for money too. Spice House in Mirissa is excellent in our opinion but gets booked pretty quickly too.  

I don't think aircon is a necessity in Jan/Feb to be honest. 

2 people like this

Oh yes, and @Dave Williams; and he can surely add some info on those gorgeous beaches which Zvezda and me have skipped ;)-

Posted (edited)

My recommended places and things to do in Sri Lanka are ( not in any order)

1) Train journey from Kandy to Ella.... you need to book well in advance.

2) Dolphin watching at Kalpytia and maybe add on Willpattu NP which is close

3) Sigiriya.... a must visit

4)Yala NP ( more open views than Wilpattu NP but lots more people and it can be manic if Leopard or Sloth Bear are spotted)

5) Bundala NP ( mainly birds)

6) Mirissa for whale watching( choose Raja and the Whales, they are excellent)

Anyone thinking of going I can recommend an outstanding B&B (as seen in my blog) which is very convenient for the airport at ether end of a trip but it's worth staying for a few nights.

Edited by Dave Williams