Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Savannenfuchs

Blackbuck reintroduction in Kanha

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@Savannenfuchs

Wildlife translocation that has become such a vital part of conservation in Africa is not something that has been done that much in India. Greater one-horned rhinos where successfully reintroduced from Assam to Dudhwa NP in Uttar Pradesh in 1984 and rhinos have been moved within Assam. Translocations of other wildlife have however been pretty rare, this is in part because the of the badly botched attempt to reintroduce the seriously endangered hard-ground barasingha deer Rucervus duvauceli branderi from Kahna to Bandavgarh in the 1980s that resulted in the loss of all 12 of the deer that they moved. The loss of this twelve extremely precious animals put the Indian conservationists off carrying out further long distance translocations. Thanks to collaborations with conservationists from South Africa who have considerable expertise when it comes to moving large wildlife things have changed, now translocations at least in Madhya Pradesh are becoming relatively common place. In Assam recently Eastern barasingha deer were moved from Kaziranga to Manas this would likely not have happened until this relationship was established between conservationists in India and South Africa.

When I visited Kanha in 04 I think it was suggested that the blackbuck had just recently disappeared and were no longer being seen in the park. I was aware about their reintroduction not from the article you posted, but thanks to the following article that I found just a few days ago and had been planning to post.    

Translocation is the latest buzzword for the Madhya Pradesh Forest Department.

I hope we will see many more translocations in India where necessary and possible, I suspect sadly they might draw the line at reintroducing elephants to Central India but who knows.

Edited by wilddog

Oh yes, Kanha has been a pioneer in such conservation efforts. The Hard ground Swamp Deer, followed by shifting of the Tigress to Panna to start the Tiger program again there. Then the relocation of Indian Gaur from Kanha to Bandhavgarh 4 years back. Subsequently the Hard Ground Swamp Deer relocated from Kanha to Satpura. And lately about 750 spotted deers successfully translocated to Phen Wildlife Sanctuary. So a lot is being done in Kanha. Fortunately all has been well in these endeavors. 

2 people like this

19 hours ago, inyathi said:

I hope we will see many more translocations in India where necessary and possible, I suspect sadly they might draw the lion at reintroducing elephants to Central India but who knows.

:D I've Just noticed that I managed to type "draw the lion" instead of "draw the line" :rolleyes: well I suppose I did have lions on my mind at the time as I was wondering whether any progress has been made on trying to persuade Gujarat to allow some lions to be moved to Mahdya Pradesh but then decided not to mention it, as I don't know what the current situation is. I must learn to proofread my posts properly before submitting them.

15 minutes ago, inyathi said:

:D I've Just noticed that I managed to type "draw the lion" instead of "draw the line" :rolleyes: well I suppose I did have lions on my mind at the time as I was wondering whether any progress has been made on trying to persuade Gujarat to allow some lions to be moved to Mahdya Pradesh but then decided not to mention it, as I don't know what the current situation is. I must learn to proofread my posts properly before submitting them.

Post 2 Edited for you @inyathi

1 person likes this

Good to see this back to kanah national park